Menu

Microscope for High School

I have a few questions for the microscope owners out there. :)

For those who own the Sonlight Ultra Microscope, are you still happy with your purchase? Do you sometimes regret not buying a more advanced scope with the 100X lens? How useful do you find the pointer within the eyepiece?

For those who purchased other microscopes with upgraded features, are you still happy with your purchase? Do you find you have a use for the upgrades, or do you feel you could have gotten by without them? If your focus controls are separated, are they still fairly easy to use or do you find yourself longing for the coaxial, or all in one control? Is not having a pointer in the eyepiece aggravating? If you own the Observer series or Ultimate Home Microscope or something similar, have you had a use for the colored filters that come with the scope, or the mirror illuminator that comes with the Observer? Finally, is the oil immersion process for the 100X lens as much as a pain as it's made out to be, or is it really not that big of a deal?

I've been researching microscopes until my head is spinning! Any and all help would be appreciated. This is such a big purchase. I don't want to buy a model that is a pain to use, or one that I wish I would have spent a little more money on to be satisfied.

Thanks so much,

Sue

Sue,

I don't have any of these microscopes but I do have quite a bit of experience with using microscopes, so I thought maybe I could pay back some of the help I've gotten here by offering my opinion.

In all of my years of experience (including grad school in Bio), I've never used a colored filter... not to say they don't have a purpose, just that I've always gotten along without. Depending on the cost, that is definitely one option that would get low priority for me. As for the pointer in the eyepiece, I love it! It is especially helpful when you want to show your student something or they want to show you something, otherwise trying to explain what you are looking at so someone else can view the same thing is very tough. I personally love co-axial focus, but I also haven't really had to use microscopes without so I don't know how much of a pain they would be. I'm just so used to that setup now, that I definitely want a microscope with this feature. As for the 100x oil immersion, I have mixed feelings. I do think it can be a pain sometimes but sometimes they are nice to have. However, you could probably get by without for most HS courses. Do you know what program you want a microscope for and if they recommend it?

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Country Girl

Hello, Sue!

I am a VERY happy owner of a microscope from Sonlight. I bought it several years ago when we first started homeschooling, and I can honestly say it was a great purchase. The price was very reasonable for the quality, and the quality is very satisfying and satisfactory for high school level work. I LOVE the mechanical stage and the pointer. Those features make using the scope a pleasure, especially with more than one student. The focus adjustment knobs are easy to use, as is the diaphragm. We have used it for biology twice and will use it for anatomy and phys next year. It continues to perform well, and I have never even had to change a bulb. It does not have any colored filters, but nothing we have done has called for them. We have also not done anything that required an oil-immersion lens. Those things sound really nifty, but are not likely to be necessary in a high school bio class (unless I am missing out on some cool experiments!). This year, I did bio labs with my son and two of his friends. I borrowed a non-Sonlight scope from a friend so that we would have two to work with, and all three boys said they liked my Sonlight scope better and that it was much easier to work with. So, assuming the scope hasn't changed over the past several years, I would go with the SL scope in a heartbeat! (how's that for an unbiased opinion! (grin!))

I will say that there are times I wish we had a stereoscope for looking at rocks and things, but that is beyond my budget right now for something I would consider a luxury item...

If you can swing two scopes, I would suggest that you also look at the Brock Magiscope. They are really cool and practically indestructible! The Brock doesn't plug in to an outlet; it used natural light pulled in through a glass rod. Thus, it makes a great field scope and is very good for looking at leaves and flower parts. etc. The standard eyepiece is 5x, so you have a different level of magnification (good for bigger items).

I really enjoy both our scopes and I hope you will find the perfect one (or more) for your family!

Blessings,

April

I've also got the Sonlight microscope. We used it with our bio course, but not for anything else. I'm thinking of selling it.

Honestly, I'd rather have a Brock that dd could take outside! But for high school, the Sonlight is fine, imo.

Oh oh, if you are selling, send me a pm.

Love my Sonlight--2 kids worth...heading into #3 this year.

I would not want to have to figure out oil emersion--not at all interested and never needed it. Apologia did not use the scope enough to have paid more for one...but I'd replace mine with the Sonlight Ultra again if I had to.

:) Jean

Sue,

I don't have any of these microscopes but I do have quite a bit of experience with using microscopes, so I thought maybe I could pay back some of the help I've gotten here by offering my opinion.

In all of my years of experience (including grad school in Bio), I've never used a colored filter... not to say they don't have a purpose, just that I've always gotten along without. Depending on the cost, that is definitely one option that would get low priority for me. As for the pointer in the eyepiece, I love it! It is especially helpful when you want to show your student something or they want to show you something, otherwise trying to explain what you are looking at so someone else can view the same thing is very tough. I personally love co-axial focus, but I also haven't really had to use microscopes without so I don't know how much of a pain they would be. I'm just so used to that setup now, that I definitely want a microscope with this feature. As for the 100x oil immersion, I have mixed feelings. I do think it can be a pain sometimes but sometimes they are nice to have. However, you could probably get by without for most HS courses. Do you know what program you want a microscope for and if they recommend it?

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks Country Girl. My dd will be using Apologia, and though they don't recommend the 100X I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to have, just in case. It would be much cheaper to buy an upgraded scope to start with instead of maybe having to buy one later. I've looked at the scopes from Home Science Tools and you can get the upgraded scopes at a good price (especially with the 10% discount from HSLDA) but they don't have the pointers in the eyepiece. Greatscopes has the Observer microscopes with the pointers, but you can't get the coaxial focus controls with them. It seems you have to choose one or the other unless you want to really start getting into the $$$. :rolleyes: The Sonlight scope is starting to really look good to me right now, especially with all the people that recommend it.

Sue

April, I like the idea of the Brock Magiscope for my ds. It would be fun for him to have something to take outside without worry. Sounds like an idea for a Christmas present this year, two birds and all.;) It's wonderful to hear that you were so satisifed with your scopes.

Thank you, Jean, for letting me know your experience with the Sonlight scope. It says a lot for product satisfaction if you'd be willing to buy another.

Chris, if you're selling, and Country Girl doesn't buy, I would be interested.:D

Momof7, I did send an e-mail to the co-op and their reply was that they did not have a microscope deal right now (obviously :tongue_smilie:) but if they were to have another they would notify members in the newsletter.

Thank you all for your help ladies. You've definitely given me some things to think about.

Sue

Thanks Country Girl. My dd will be using Apologia, and though they don't recommend the 100X I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to have, just in case. It would be much cheaper to buy an upgraded scope to start with instead of maybe having to buy one later. I've looked at the scopes from Home Science Tools and you can get the upgraded scopes at a good price (especially with the 10% discount from HSLDA) but they don't have the pointers in the eyepiece. Greatscopes has the Observer microscopes with the pointers, but you can't get the coaxial focus controls with them. It seems you have to choose one or the other unless you want to really start getting into the $$$. :rolleyes: The Sonlight scope is starting to really look good to me right now, especially with all the people that recommend it.

Sue

Glad I could help a little. One other thing I thought of that I really value in a microscope is a mechanical stage. Otherwise it gets pretty hard to locate things when you are in high power.

Another option I thought of that may be cheaper (and may not) is if you find a microscope you want but doesn't have the pointer in the eyepiece, is buying an additional eyepiece that does have the pointer build in. I don't really know if it would be a more economical option or not but it might be worth checking into.

HTH!

for cost reasons, and we're very happy with it. It's very sturdy and easy to use. You can check it out at this link

We used it for Apologia Biology, if that makes any difference.

HTH,

They are having a special promotion right now as well. I just bought mine. I haven't gotten it yet though so I cannot weigh in here with an opinion yet, but at least I can give you the discount information in case anyone is considering one. :) Blessings. Jen

"we're offering a 10% discount on all orders, plus free Standard shipping for orders over $150! Just use code PDISC69 when you check out. Offer expires June 20th.