Menu

Favorite phonics blending reinforcement

laurad1125

DS6 is working on blending three letter words. He's doing OK but still needs lots of reinforcement and practice. He HATES reading from our books (Hooked on Phonics, Phonics Pathways) but enjoys games. I've got a couple but am looking for more ideas.

What are your favorites - either games you bought or games you made?

For reading/blending practice we sometimes do a game of "treasure hunt" in the house or yard.

Just jot down suitable words on sticky-notes and post them in designated places around the house.

The starting point, or first sticky-note, is read by the child and that word "directs" the child to the next location. So, for example, the first sticky-note would read...pot. Child goes to the pot and finds next note on the pot, it would read...plant. Then child goes to the plant and finds next note, and so on. I give a small prize at the end of the treasure hunt, like licorice or a sticker.:)

Oh, by the way, my daughter too HATES reading from her books, but loves this game.

Edited by Wildwood

DS6 is working on blending three letter words. He's doing OK but still needs lots of reinforcement and practice. He HATES reading from our books (Hooked on Phonics, Phonics Pathways) but enjoys games. I've got a couple but am looking for more ideas.

What are your favorites - either games you bought or games you made?

I would expect a 6yo child to still need lots of reinforcement. :-)

One suggestion would be for you to pick a reading instruction method and stick with it, rather than using a combination. Each one does a slightly different (or major different!) methodology, and it can be confusing.

Sing, Spell, Read, Write is by far my favorite phonics approach. It teaches the Ferris Wheel song where they sing the first 2 sounds together. (ba, be, bi, bo, bu, bu, bo, bi, be, ba) going through about 5 consonants at a time.

Then they learn to read 3 letter words.....bat, bet, bit, bot, but, etc. It has worked really well for my children and they haven't really had the horrid dragged out sounding out process that I experienced when using 100 EZ lessons, etc.

I would expect a 6yo child to still need lots of reinforcement. :-)

One suggestion would be for you to pick a reading instruction method and stick with it, rather than using a combination. Each one does a slightly different (or major different!) methodology, and it can be confusing.

Yes, I am fine with the reinforcement. I pushed older ds on reading (because I was nervous about it) and he read when he was good and ready. Go figure..... :001_smile: Of course, this is the same kid that threatened to come early every day from about 7 months into the pregnancy. He was born ON his due date. :banghead:

I didn't explain my original question very well. I am sticking to Phonics Pathways for DS6. (I've tried Hooked on Phonics where it meshed with PP but it wasn't any better) We've been working through PP in order but instead of having him read the words on the page, I'll present them some other way. In a game with word tiles, or on the spelling board (using letter tiles from AAS) We also have some train car letters we use.

I'm just looking for more ways to continue presenting the Phonics Pathways lessons without the book. He sees that big book and just shuts down. My plan is that once he's very comfortable with reading the words/sounds, to go back a ways in the book to where it's very easy for him. Hopefully, then he won't be overwhelmed.

BTW - I like the scavenger hunt idea posted earlier. We'll definitely try that.

My phonics concentration game:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

I also do games with magnetic letters. Give him 6 to 7 consonants and a vowel he is working on (or one and an e if he is up to silent letters) and have him see how many words he can make and sound out. Once he gets comfortable with that, you can see how many words he can make in a minute. You can use a metal cookie sheet or a small magnetic white board with the letters. With multiple children, you can combine this with a relay race part where the children have to run to a small bucket or tupperware box full of letters and grab a handful and then run back and make words. Older children could be required to make 2+ syllable words and/or 4+ letter words to even up the odds. (Whoever gets the most words in a set time amount--usually 2 to 8 minutes, wins.)

Edited by ElizabethB

Believe it or not. Headsprout is excellent in this area. We are currently using it and its a fun program for my daughter yet she is learning. We used K12 K this year and the Headsprout is giving her plenty of reinforcement in this area.