Menu

Ap History/Gov't quick question

for those of you who BTDT:

Is AP Gov't harder in prep/content than AP World History or AP Amer History?

Here's why asking- Originally planned on doing this:

9th grade- AP global prep I

10th grade AP global Prep II- take AP exam

11th- AP Amer History

12th- AP Amer Gov't

Why? cuz that's the progression at the PS HS. (makes testing situation easier and figured there might actually be a reasoning to the progression..)

Now thinking of bumping AP Gov't to 9th grade as our homeschool Consortium is offering Economics/PIG this year and teacher has offered my motivated, take-charge daughter to take it at no tuition (I teach Acting/Improv w/ him and do not charge for my time, he wants to "reward" me for my altruism smile.gif

Want to take advantage of the offer, so what d'ya think?

Looking at Sonlight core 400 (w/ supplements) to see if good prep for AP, opinions?

TX in advance!!!

Sharon Paluch

Our local university awards 6 credits for Am His and 3 credits for Am Gov. I've always heard that history is more comprehensive than gov. But, I haven't BTDT.

Holly

for those of you who BTDT:

Here's why asking- Originally planned on doing this:

11th- AP Amer History

12th- AP Amer Gov't

Why? cuz that's the progression at the PS HS. (makes testing situation easier and figured there might actually be a reasoning to the progression..)

Now thinking of bumping AP Gov't to 9th grade as our homeschool Consortium is offering Economics/PIG this year and teacher has offered my motivated, take-charge daughter to take it at no tuition (I teach Acting/Improv w/ him and do not charge for my time, he wants to "reward" me for my altruism smile.gif

Want to take advantage of the offer, so what d'ya think?

Looking at Sonlight core 400 (w/ supplements) to see if good prep for AP, opinions?

TX in advance!!!

Sharon Paluch

Ds. will be doing AP American Govt.& Politics with PA Homeschoolers in the fall. From all my inquiries at different sources World History and Am. Hist. is much more difficult than Govt. For exam prep. we'll be using Barron's AP Govt.

HTH!

Originally planned on doing this:

I have to admit to being curious about this since there is no AP Global exam that I'm aware of. Would this correspond to the World History or Human Geography AP exam?

My understanding of AP US Government is that it is often considered an easier exam than the History exams. Some schools offer course work such that a student culminates that year's study with both AP exams: US Government and Comparative Government & Politics.

Regards,

Kareni

It's my understanding that the material is not more difficult in the AP histories, but there is just lots more of it. :001_smile: APUSGov (or Comp Gov) is usually a one-semester class, though you can do it in a year. I taught APUSGov this year and had several 9th graders, two who took the exam. Another difference: the APUSGov exam requires more of a short answer to the free response questions, while the AP histories require true essay answers to the FRQs.

I've never seen the Sonlight government materials. You can go to College Board and download the curricular requirements for APUSGov and compare it to Sonlight's offerings. The APUSGov exam covers true college level material, and has some specific requirements, and my gut is that Sonlight may be good, but may not cover everything required to do well on the AP exam. Most (all?) AP classes will use a college level text as the spine. You could always supplement with a couple of AP study books.

HTH,

Lisa

ETA: APUSGov is often listed as one of the APs that you an easily self study for.

my ds who went through SL400 and Barron's AP Gov study book, thought the test was really hard. He is an acedemic-type with a big brain:) Of course, the Barron's Guide was even harder! We stuck with the SL sched. through about Feb. and then put it aside to concentrate on the AP. I had heard that it was one of the easier tests to self-study for, but my ds did not think it was easy. He was only 15 when he took the test....

For us, the test was more of a standard to see if my ds understood Am. Gov and Civics. I thought it was good to do both because the AP convered some things that SL did not. My ds was glad to finally understand political parties, PACs and special interest groups. He learned a lot from studying the guide.

HTH and I answered some of your questions!

Agreeing with all that is said and that AP Gov covers less material so "could" be easier depending upon the student, of course. I think an excellent book for that course is the Wilson book and it does fully prepare you for the AP exam.