Menu

I need a crash course in ESL. Help?

Last week we found out that we'll have 14 yo gal from Spain who will come stay with us for a month. I have two weeks to prepare. She's a fantastic little gal, and I speak Latin American Spanish fluently, so we'll be OK. But I need to take seriously her family's purpose in sending her, to stretch her English. (The mutual friend who knows her says she doesn't know much English.)

Can someone help me out? Where do I even begin?

Thanks so much!

:D

Pretend you don't know Spanish.:D

This is the best advice you'll get. And an advantage to doing that, you'll find out what she REALLY thinks of her experience when she calls home :D .

It is rude to speak another language in front of others when you can just as easily speak so that all present can understand. I don't think it's rude to abstain from speaking a language you know, especially since this girl wants to learn English.

Buena suerte!

Pretend you don't know Spanish.:D

Seriously, if she wants to learn English, the best way is for her to have to rely on her English skills whenever she needs to communicate.

Yes, it's exhausting.

Estamos en acuerdo. We are in agreement...best way to learn is to not have spanish to fall back on. make her sweat! She will thank you.l