Menu

Besides a "fun" Shakespeare, what other play would you have a 7th grader read?

Hoggirl

I am putting together our literature plan for next year. I am combining short stories, novels, and poetry in a hodge-podge way. I would like to read a Shakespearean play (maybe Twelfth Night - open to ideas here as well) and one other play. Any ideas on something that wouldn't be too dark, heavy, long, or history-oriented for a 7th grade boy?

It's one of my favorites and I think it's a good starting place for new Shakespeare readers too - very accessible and has some good obvious themes to delve into.

Have you considered a Gilbert and Sullivan? They're very funny, and there are several excellent productions available to watch on video... My very favorite is The Pirates of Penzance.

Another you might consider (but for very different reasons!) is Rossum's Universal Robots (R.U.R.) by Karel Capek...... It's extremely weird... Not tremendously dark overall, but definitely dystopian, and it marks one of the earliest uses of the word "robot" in English. It's an early example of the "technology gone wrong" sort of dystopia.

Hmmmm.... I guess many of the plays that come to mind fall under the "dark, heavy, or long" category. :001_huh:

So, if you're looking for something a bit lighter, maybe Arsenic and Old Lace? That's a great play...very funny...

Another option would be Waiting for Godot. Lots of good opportunity to discuss deeper issues with a play that's not too tough to read.

Hope you find something that's just perfect!

However, it's somewhat dark and it is historical.

I found it uplifting in its heroism, and very intriguing at the age of a middle schooler for thinking about whether to obey authority or not, and if so, which one. (The plot basically consists of someone deciding to obey the gods rather than the king, and everything that plays out from that decision.)

I think "Twelfth Night" is an excellent choice for that age and frame of mind.

At high school ds did:

9th grade did Romeo & Juliet (in PH literature)

10th gr. this upcoming yr., he'll study Twelfth Night (in PH literature), Merchant of Venice & Julius Caesar

If you want to see a book list for 4 yrs of high school, ds's school book lists are up now: http://www.stjohnshigh.org/s/804/index.aspx?sid=804&gid=1&pgid=252&cid=1961&ecid=1961&crid=0&calpgid=277&calcid=744

- Pygmalion (Shaw)

Then watch the 1964 musical film version, "My Fair Lady" with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.

- The Importance of Being Earnest (Wilde)

Then watch the 1985 version with Wendy Hiller OR the 1957 version with Michael Redgrave (NOT the dumbed down, sexed up 2002 version!).