Menu

Literature Snobs: Twaddle Rating for Animal Ark?

I've been letting dd read animal ark for her "fluff" and "twaddle" books (one a week, usually making the ratio 1:2 or 1:3) and I decided I really want outside input on these espially since she has taken to the Animal Ark "Hauntings" serise too. We generally are OK with things like A to Z mysteries, Magic Tree House and EARLY Nancy Drew but don't do things like Junie B Jones, Baby Sitters Club or LATER Boxcar Kids. What's your opinion of Animal Ark? Thanks!

I tried reading one of them to dd, but we couldn't get thru it because the writing was...not as good as we were used to.

Pretty high on the twaddle list for us, but we do allow some twaddle--Dd just came back from the library and checked out about 6 AtoZ Mysteries--she'll devour them this weekend and then go on to something else.

My 9 yo loves them. The most redeeming quality is the happy home life usually depicted. The main character is adopted and fine with it, her parents are both alive and married (to each other) and love her and each other. The writing isn't so hot, but if it isn't harmful and she is reading plenty of more worthy literature, I'm fine with a little twaddle.

Terri

I agree. My son really enjoyed them. He was just getting into novels and the uncomplicated yet positive story line appealed to him I think. It was something as an early reader that he could pick up on his own and not get stuck with complicated language. He was reading for enjoyment. I read more complicated stories to him and he thoroughly enjoys them. Until he is ready to take on such a story on his own, he can read whatever he wants (well from our home library and library books) as long as he is reading and enjoying it :)

I agree with the above posters. My dd loved the series when she was 6 and 7. She is a huge animal fanatic. I read many of them with her. They certainly aren't fine literature, but the writing is better than Magic Tree House or Junie B. They got a pass as fun reading in our house.

It is predictable form writing but one of my daughters loved them so we let her read as much as she wanted in her spare time. You can get them in huge lots on Ebay. I sold ours when my daughter read her stacks of them. I figure if it encourages reading speed then there is value in that.