Menu

A reminder today is D-Day

June 6, 1944

May those who died to make Europe free rest in peace.

These are the boys of Pointe du Hoc. These are the men who took the cliffs. These are the champions who helped free a continent. These are the heroes who helped end a war....

Forty summers have passed since the battle that you fought here. You were young the day you took these cliffs; some of you were hardly more than boys, with the deepest joys of life before you. Yet you risked everything here. Why? Why did you do it? What impelled you to put aside the instinct for self-preservation and risk your lives to take these cliffs? What inspired all the men of the armies that met here? We look at you, and somehow we know the answer. It was faith and belief. It was loyalty and love.

The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead, or on the next. It was the deep knowledge -- and pray God we have not lost it -- that there is a profound moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate, not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.

You all knew that some things are worth dying for. One's country is worth dying for, and democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man. All of you loved liberty. All of you were willing to fight tyranny, and you knew the people of your countries were behind you.

---President Ronald Reagan (June 6, 1984)

Edited by pqr

I shall remember my grandfather who was one of those who survived the horrors of the beaches of Normandy and all those whom are now marked with a white cross somewhere is France.

...and those whose resting place is known only to God.

...and those whose resting place is known only to God.

Especially them.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

Laurence Binyon

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

Laurence Binyon

One of the most moving pieces in the Eglish language.

I shall remember my grandfather who was one of those who survived the horrors of the beaches of Normandy and all those whom are now marked with a white cross somewhere is France.

And my dear, dear Uncle, who survived, but left his heart, and quite honestly, his sanity on the beaches of Normandy.

:iagree:To all

MSNBC has an area devoted to D-Day. PBS had a good show the other night about all the cemeteries in Europe for the fallen Americans. There were and still are a lot of grateful people. It was really touching .

I will always hold dear the stories told to me by my grandfathers and uncles. Those that did not give their lives gave much that could not be restored.

I only hope that future generations may learn from these histories and never, ever forget.

I just discussed this with my son a few minutes ago. He was on Google and commented on the Tetris logo. I told him that a more significant event happened this day 65 years ago and we talked about it.

That's just pitiful that Google has the tetris symbol up today :(

We had the privilege last year of going to Normandy, and seeing the gravesite of my uncle, who was killed in action a few days after D-Day. We were the first of the family to see his grave. Standing on Omaha Beach, and looking up the cliff, I am amazed that anyone dared to go up it. It took us 20 minutes to climb up, and that was with the path, and steps, and no hostility.

An amazing day, worthy of remembrance.

Rita

Thank you pqr for starting this thread. It is so important to remember lest we forget. Here's to you Mr. Pollicino!! You are a hero and always will be! Y para ti mi querido abuelo, fuiste mi heroe primero y no sabes cuanto te estrano. :grouphug: