Menu

Do you know of any youth fiction instead of Around the World in 80 days

Guest Virginia Dawn

Hitty

I don't remember the author but it's about a doll that travels, but if I remember right (it's been years) it's mainly western hemisphere. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that!

It's a cute book that all my kids enjoyed.

Can't remember the author.

Hitty

I don't remember the author but it's about a doll that travels, but if I remember right (it's been years) it's mainly western hemisphere. Maybe someone can confirm or deny that!

The author of Hitty is Rachel Field, I think.

Actually, she goes farther west (into the eastern hemisphere) than east - she ends up on a whaling ship, goes overboard, gets stranded on an island in the Pacific, and is in India at one point. She never gets to Europe or anywhere in the southern hemisphere. If my fuzzy memory recalls, she starts and ends up in Maine?

My dd9 read a book called MVP which was about a boy that traveled all over the world in a game similar to The Amazing Race (from what I can gather; I didn't read it). It did get good reviews though. Maybe someone who has read it can chime in. I believe it's a Nutmeg award recipient.

Another travel adventure book by Rachel Field is A Road Might Lead to Anywhere. As I recall the little girl goes to sleep and dreams about walking to all the places she could visit....there was a cave, a seashore, a witch's house and into stores, probably more that I can't remember right now. It's a very short book, but the illustrations are marvelous and the story is a great intro for a child just learning that there is more to the world than their city. Probably the K-3 group.

Hitty is much longer, a couple hundred pages. Be sure to get the book titled Hitty: Her First Hundred Years. THere are several reprints with just "Hitty" as the title and they have been (in my opinion) poorly revised. Hitty is a delightful doll that travels with her owners on many adventures. Obviously it would probably be enjoyed by girls more than boys since the main character is a doll, but it a sweet story and has glimpses into many different places.

Amazing Animal Adventures....Brian Keating, the author is a wildlife expert and the photos and stories are real life adventures he took to many different countries. He also has books on specific regions, like deserts, rivers, islands, etc. Not really a novel per se as each adventure is a stand alone story.

The True Adventures of Charley Darwin tell of a young Charles Darwin's 5 year trip by ship exploring the natural world. (Obviously if you object to evolution theory, you may want to pre-read this....as he is 'that' Darwin).

Magellan Voyage Project is a hilarious tale about a race around the world (no flying allowed). All the contestants are children, no adults allowed. Definitely fiction/fantasy.

Great Race by Gary Blackwood....set at the turn of the century (1900) it's an auto race around the world.

Remarkable Voyages of Captain Cook by Rhoda Blumberg, tells the story of the British Explorer who discovered Australia, Hawaii and other Pacific islands.

Stowaway by Karen Hesse, tells a fictionalized account in journal format of a stowaway aboard Captain Cook's ship.

To the Edge of the World by Michelle Torey tells a fictionalized story of a teenage orphan who becomes cabin boy to Magellan.

Around the World Who's Been Here by Lindsay George is about a teacher who went on a 9 month around the world adventure and wrote back to her science class. Focuses on animals and nature mostly.

Sailing Around the World by Joshua Slocum. True life story of the first man to sail around the world. There are several other stories about Slocum, but this the one he wrote about his adventures.

The Boy Who Sailed Around the World Alone by Robin Lee Graham. True story of a 16 year old boy who sails around the world for 5 years.