Menu

Logic

We used "Art of the Argument" this year, and I can't say that I really recommend it. DS liked it, but I had several arguments with it. First of all, there were a lot of times when I had to explain things to ds that I wasn't quite prepared to do yet (he is 10). For instance, I don't think it it was necessary to have discussions about abortion. For another, there are way too many dated and slanted political reference.

There was way too much writing involved too, so we did most of it orally.

Jean

We're using a kind of non-standard approach.... mathematical logic instead of the more argument/fallacy oriented type. But our text is A First Course in Mathematical Logic by Patrick Suppes. We've not started it yet, but I like what I've seen, and I'm hoping it will be a good supplement to the logic aspect of Geometry next year.

I just looked at this at Amazon, and the one review said that their were no solutions. Do you think this is an issue? I did take one formal logic class in college, but that was a looooong time ago.

Thanks,

Jean

I just looked at this at Amazon, and the one review said that their were no solutions. Do you think this is an issue? I did take one formal logic class in college, but that was a looooong time ago.

I've done a little formal logic, and DH has too... so between us I hope we'll be fine. The lessons are extremely short and to the point, so at worst I think I can keep a page ahead of him... Ask me again this time next year! ;)

I've done a little formal logic, and DH has too... so between us I hope we'll be fine. The lessons are extremely short and to the point, so at worst I think I can keep a page ahead of him... Ask me again this time next year! ;)

I plan to do just that. :)

Thanks! Keep us posted.

• 4 months later...

This is a big list I plan on getting a lot of books from. I think Primary Analogies - Book 3 or Analogies 1 may be at about the right level. (There are sample pages to look at.) As far as formal logic is concerned, here is the only book I have found, after lots of research, that I think is rigorous enough, but students could probably understand in high school or a little earlier: The Elements of Logic: Adapted to the Capacity of Younger Students, and Designed for Academies and the Higher Classes of Common Schools (also on Amazon). I’m working on writing an answer key for it.

As far as formal logic is concerned, here is the only book I have found, after lots of research, that I think is rigorous enough, but students could probably understand in high school or a little earlier: The Elements of Logic: Adapted to the Capacity of Younger Students, and Designed for Academies and the Higher Classes of Common Schools (also on Amazon). I’m working on writing an answer key for it.

I was wondering how much religious content is in this?

Yeah, kind of a lot I guess. Like: Just and good are the laws of God; A Church is a congregation of faithful men, in which the word of God is preached, and the ordinances duly administered; and Sin is any transgression of God’s law.

I like it so much, I’ll use it despite not being Christian.

Sorry I don’t know of anything secular to recommend. :(

We're using Prufrock Press materials with ds. He is only 7 though so working their puzzles and analogies. In their Logic catalog, "Orbiting with Logic" still looks pretty good to me for cutting teeth into formal logic of which I only had one course myself:

http://www.prufrock.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat=97&step=2

The materials all seem to be secular. The progression is pretty gradual, not big leaps. ds has been able to work the books by himself and enjoys them. I think the workbook format is part of that.

Edited by Jill