Menu

American History for 8th grade

mazakaal

We're doing an overview of all history by reading A Little History of the World this summer. Then we're doing American History by reading The Boys of '76. We're using Time Travellers "The American Revolution" projects (from homeschoolinthewoods.com) and some literature to go along with it: Johnny Tremain, and some others I haven't pinned down yet.

Smiles,

Shalynn

I WAS going to do SL 100, but in the end decided that it would never do.

So I'm going to have my 13 yr old read Paul Johnson's History of the American People (parts 1-3, which covers the time period 1588-1850) I could probably have him read the entire book, but he is also going to read chapters from Spielvogel's Western Civilization as well. (We will finish it next year.)

Ambleside Online uses the Johnson book in year 9 and 10 (maybe 11) and they have primary documents and speeches scheduled with it. So I'll be printing some of the shorter ones up to add to our history notebook.

I really like the Johnson book. It is not dry at all. I think he will like it.

I'm going to have him to historyliterature ala WTM rhetoric this year to see how it goes.

RhondaM.

My 8th grader will be using Biblioplan 1850-Modern, which is world history but throws in some of the History of US books. We will also camp out in the Civil War for a while. He'll be reading from SOTW 4, Kingfisher, Streams of Civ vol. 2, and History of US as his main texts. Oh, I'm also throwing in Critical Thinking in US History vol. 3 & 4.

So I'm going to have my 13 yr old read Paul Johnson's History of the American People (parts 1-3, which covers the time period 1588-1850)

RhondaM.

This book look really good. I think I want to read it myself!

BF Early American and World Jr high.

Holly,

I like the look of BF from their web site, but I have a few questions. Is the guide designed for the student to use independently? I tried to see samples on their site, but couldn't find a lot to go by. There was just one page of assignments for The World of John Smith. Is that one day's assignment? Is the program broken up by days or is it just, 'do the next thing'? On the sample, the student is instructed to draw a map in the student notebook. Is there a notebook that you purchase separately? Or is the notebook something you put together on your own - just a spiral with notebook paper?

Thanks.

If you are considering having your child do the entire sweep of US History, you might be interested in the syllabus that Hewitt Homeschooling sells for the Joy Hakim History of US series. It is a junior high level syllabus. Here is a link.

Regards,

Kareni

I've heard too many mixed reviews of Hakim. Living in the UK, I can't return homeschool materials once they're purchased, and I don't want to take a risk on ordering it and hating it, but being stuck with it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. It's hard to find a curriculum for American history for jr high that doesn't use Hakim.

How much American History has your junior high child had? Have you ever looked at Guerber's Story of the Thirteen Colonies and Story of the Great Republic? (It only goes up through about 1899-1900) If my dc had not already read them I'd have him read them this year. In the back of each book there is a list of books to go along with different chapters from the book.

You can see samples of these at Nothing New Press.

RhondaM.

Is the guide designed for the student to use independently? mostly. I overview the unit, or next lesson. Then dd reads and we go over the discussion questions together. The answers are provided, but I find I need to at least skim the text so I can discuss it better with her.

Is the program broken up by days or is it just, 'do the next thing'? pretty much "do the next thing". Some lessons take a day, some take a week. It just depends on how indepth the material gets.

Or is the notebook something you put together on your own - just a spiral with notebook paper? we just used a 3 ring binder and put together our own.

Thanks, Holly. This helps a lot.

One more question... my 2nd ds is now showing interest in studying American history next year instead of finishing SL Core 5 like I had planned. Could I adjust BF jr high to be usable for a 6th grader? I know it's recommended for 7th & up. Would it be way too much for a 6th grader? Would it be a lot of work to adjust? Would it just require leaving out a few of the more difficult assignments? Thanks.