Menu

Okay, I saw this add for Organic Tobbaco. The add was of course touting (?) the

praises of the tobacco being organic and that they use the small farms which helps the small business man vs. big corporations. But isn't tobacco bad for you period?! Now let me be fair and say that they did include the Surgeon General's warning

I've wondered about this, too. In cigarettes, etc. is it the tobacco that's really bad or all the other junk they add to the product? Have I heard right that formaldehyde can be found in cigarettes?

If it's all the other chemicals in tobacco products, then maybe plain organic tobacco is not as bad. I suppose, if someone is already addicted to tobacco, maybe organic tobacco products might be ever so slightly not as bad for one's health. ???

Good question!

No one in my family smokes, but I do love the smell of pipe smoke. Weird. I wonder if reading the Little House on the Prairie books brainwashed me. ;)

I haven't seen the organic tobacco commericals. Tobacco is a heavily sprayed crop, more so than say some vegetables. So I would say it is better for the environment. I do believe tobacco is considered a cash crop, farmers do make a profit on it I believe. People chew it. I did not realize there was a demand for organic tobacco. Tobacco juice gets rid of bugs, there is a tobacco juice recipe for that. My husband's mom died of lung cancer at a fairly young age and she was a heavy smoker. My mom smoked, along with her addiction to perscription medications her health suffered and she died at a young age too. It didn't matter how many times dr.s told her she should quit smoking she didn't. If one dr. didn't give her her addiction, she found another who would. We don't smoke here. I am glad the farmers were able to grow something they can profit from, at the same time, I wish there were some good uses besides things that damage health.

Okay, believe it or not, I'm in the market for some tobacco and that sounds good to me. My poor, poor, daughter and husband suffer so much at the bite of insects. Even a simple mosquito bite swells up so large and gets very hot and painful. I recently read that tobacco will take out the sting and pain of an insect bite but my daughter, bless her heart, refuses to have any part of a cigarette touch her body. I actually tried the health food store hoping to find something in the bulk section. No luck, of course.

I would buy that organic tobacco at lease once and if it turns out to help my kiddo through the summer, I'd be a regular customer.

I think I heard that too somewhere. I would think it would be sold at those speciality tobacco type stores or online. I never go tobacco shopping. my son knew some that liked cigars ocassionally when he was in Iraq. They were not daily smokers, so I didn't feel so bad about it. We would send some. My husband would not allow me to go into the store, he would go himself. So I never knew what was there.I do home those farmers rotate crops and still grow some food.

No, I don't think tobacco is bad. For many, it's pleasant to smoke and inspires pleasant effects like relaxation. For some it has spiritual aspects and implications. I'm a non-smoker but one of the most wonderful smells in the world for me is a burning pipe or cigar. Takes me right make to childhood and my grandfather. I love fresh cigarette smoke as well as I fell in love with my husband when he was still a smoker. Tobacco is just tobacco.

What's bad is using tobacco to excess so that it becomes a habit and addiction. What's bad is a culture that dictates one must either abstain or indulge to extreme. What's bad is the loss of any understanding that tobacco can be, like a nice wine, an occasional pleasure.

And there's my little rant for the day.:D

So many chemicals are used to process tobacoo & to enable it to burn better in cigarettes. There are many arguements that these chemicals do the bulk of the damage to smokers.

My grandmother always grew her own tobacco & "rolled" her cigarettes. Always funny to see a grandmother buying OCB papers b/c it was mostly my uncles friends who used them for pot. Anyway, she enjoyed a recreational smoke & did not die as a result of smoking the "natural cigarettes".

I will also say they I am not as sensitive to the smoke of natural, nonchemically treated tobacco. Regular cigarettes cause me to cough & my eyes to water... allergic reactions. However, the untreated tobacco does not do this & can actually smell pleasant.

Just my 2 cents!

Tobacco may be bad for you health wise but otherwise it probably isn't that much different environmentally than any other cash crop.

The benefit to it being "organic" is to the environment (lack of pesticides).

Just like you wouldn't buy organic cotton for its health benefits, kwim?

It's also smoother, the smoke is not as heavy, and it removes some of the risks to you health (inhaling the left overs from pesticides and the different things they treat tobacco with). My brother smokes Indians, but I find the flavor too light for me.

If you want good smelling stuff, go for Cloves or Bindis.

http://tobaccodocuments.org/landman/501877121-7129.html Sorry but this is absolutely not the case that "organic" tobacco is any less harmful ,in fact it might be more harmful as a public health matter due to the misinformation about tobacco. It is all about the nicotine that is what the human brain reacts and becomes addicted to. If you are really interested in how they are able to keep peddling this highly carcinogenic , addictive substance to consumers a fascinating read is linked here: http://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Century-Persistence-Product-Defined/dp/0465070477 The book is stunning in how the marketing and promotion by physicians many years ago led to an industry that still is literally unregulated as to the junk they can add to cigarettes to render them even more poisonous than nature intended. I hope this information is helpful .

Tobacco may be bad for you health wise but otherwise it probably isn't that much different environmentally than any other cash crop.

The benefit to it being "organic" is to the environment (lack of pesticides).

Just like you wouldn't buy organic cotton for its health benefits, kwim?

Actually, I have purchased organic cotton. Mostly for the health of the environment. I would purchase 100% organic cotton for all our needs if I could afford it. Too, I am uncomfortable with GMO cotton. Cotton seed oil is put into some packaged food items.

Actually, I have purchased organic cotton. Mostly for the health of the environment. I would purchase 100% organic cotton for all our needs if I could afford it. Too, I am uncomfortable with GMO cotton. Cotton seed oil is put into some packaged food items.

Well, yes, that's my point. You don't purchase organic cotton because wearing it is healthier in and of itself. A traditional cotton shirt is not less "healthy" than one made from organic cotton. The impact on the environment from the use of pesticides is the reason to purchase organic non-food items.

At least that is the argument I'm familiar with.

I always like to point out that uranium is organic. "Organic" doesn't always mean healthy.

Tobacco is probably no more harmful that white sugar. Most things in moderation tend to be acceptible, except for those with "a cause". My grandmother roller her own home grown cigarettes & tobacco didn't kill her. (genetics did).

However, one thing to remember... you see old smokers, but you don't see old fat people.;)

Also, organic is better for YOU and for the environment.

I recently read that tobacco will take out the sting and pain of an insect bite but my daughter, bless her heart, refuses to have any part of a cigarette touch her body.

This is correct, in fact I have used cigar tobacco in the past when I stepped on a bee. I had heard the same thing, tried it, and it worked.

I think it has something to do with the tannin in the tobacco. But it has to be fresh tobacco. Not fresh, fresh - just not from a cigar that someone started to smoke and then put out to save for later because it was a really expensive cigar.

My husband happened to have left a cigar in my car. I took some of the tobacco out of it, crumpled it up, added a little saliva to moisten it, and put it on the sting. Worked great!! And it's a heck of a lot easier to carry, say when camping, than baking soda and vinegar.:) Not to mention, if ones dh is smoking the cigar, it helps keep the bugs away.