Menu

How do you handle it when someone uses cc-funded PayPal

You should be able to "Deny" the payment, meaning that the funds won't be transferred from the buyer's account. Then tell the buyer that you've done so and why, and re-iterate that you don't accept that kind of payment. I've had to do this a few times.

:iagree:

Yup, deny it and ask them to pay another way. Many people don't realize that debit cards get charged on paypal just like credit cards, so when I do listings I'm very clear about what I take and what I don't. In any case, just apologize, deny the payment, and let them send it again. It will all work out. :)

Please talk to the person first. PayPal has been weird for us this week. Somehow without our permission they changed our secondary pay option (cc) to our primary option. We have no idea when this happened, but it meant that we thought we were paying someone funded Paypal, but it was actually credit card. As soon as I found out I offered to send more money to cover the fees.

Jan

I am so glad you asked about this. I had no idea that debit cards were charged like credit cards on paypal. I have only bought about 4 things off the boards here, a couple of months ago, using paypal. I paid with my debit card. No one said that they were charged extra fees. Now I feel bad! I would have paid for the fees or figured out how to use paypal a different way.

I sold the book for $15 ppd and was charged 4.9% of the price PLUS 30 cents.

we only use CC paypal --I'd be willing to pay extra charges if i was getting a heckuva deal on a used book. :)

Is it tougher to simply include the extra charged amount, or do you never know what they will charge?

Is it tougher to simply include the extra charged amount, or do you never know what they will charge?

It's always 4.9% plus .30 fee, but if you have a personal account you can only take 5 cc transactions a year, or you'll have to upgrade to a premier or business account and then pay a fee on all transactions, even funded. With a personal account if the pay with funded paypal or echeck then I don't pay any fees to receive the money.

In answer to the OP's question I'd deny the payment and then send a nice email to the buyer saying something like "I'm sorry I had to deny your payment but I can't accept credit card payments through paypal. Unfortunately this also includes debit cards, which paypal treats as credit cards. I would love to work out a solution to this issue, would an echeck payment be an option for you?"

Edited by nukeswife

You should be able to "Deny" the payment, meaning that the funds won't be transferred from the buyer's account. Then tell the buyer that you've done so and why, and re-iterate that you don't accept that kind of payment. I've had to do this a few times.

Under "Payment Status", it says "Completed". Does that mean it already went through? If so, it was automatic; I simply opened my PayPal page and it was there. When I click on Details next to the payment info, I do see a link at the bottom of the page that says "Issue Refund". Do I need to use that?

Under "Payment Status", it says "Completed". Does that mean it already went through? If so, it was automatic; I simply opened my PayPal page and it was there. When I click on Details next to the payment info, I do see a link at the bottom of the page that says "Issue Refund". Do I need to use that?

If it automatically went through then you may have a business or premier account. Have you sold anything on ebay and used that paypal account to receive funds. I know that's how I was updated to a premier account without my knowledge. You have to have either a business or premier account to accept paypal from ebay transactions. You can downgrade the account but only 1 time, and they mean it. I won't tell you how I know, because it's a long boring story.

If they did automatically update your account then you'll pay a fee for all transactions, even the non credit/debit card ones. I've actually left the upgraded account (which does charge lower fees for cc's than a personal one) for those that want to pay with cc and then opened a new one using a seperate gmail account and bank account as a personal one for those that pay without credit/debit