Menu

How much help do you get/need?

I'm looking into homeschooling next year and one of the things that scares me the most is finding time to be prepared with lessons and projects. Dh runs a small business (aka long and crazy hours) and in addition to my might-be homeschooler, I have two preschoolers. Am I overextending myself here if I don't get much help or quiet planning time? How much time do you feel like you need to be prepared for a week of homeschooling?

I'm looking into homeschooling next year and one of the things that scares me the most is finding time to be prepared with lessons and projects. Dh runs a small business (aka long and crazy hours) and in addition to my might-be homeschooler, I have two preschoolers. Am I overextending myself here if I don't get much help or quiet planning time? How much time do you feel like you need to be prepared for a week of homeschooling?

My husband is not involved with homeschooling at all, with the exception of going on occasional "field trips".

This last year was my best and easiest year because I had most of my planning done ahead of time. I got a large filing box. In it, each file had a set of file folders (different color for each child). I then pulled apart all consumables and filed the pages by week. This coming year, I'll also add an assignment sheet for each nonconsumable subject.

Each child also has a three ring binder. In the binder are enough pocket dividers so that there is one for each subject. Each Friday/Saturday, I take their finished work out of the binder. I correct it and we go over the incorrect problems, then I file it back into the file folder it came from. The new week's work is then inserted into its appropriate pocket. Each pocket divider has two pockets; we use the front pocket for work to be done and the back pocket for work completed.

This makes it so that there is very little planning during the school year. I love it! It takes a few/several days during the summer to get it all set up but it is so worth it.

ETA: What I described above includes changes to the system I'm making based on using it this past year.

Well, I just want to encourage you in every way. You can do it - definitely. We are a military family, and are far away from any of our close friends or family. DH is deployed right now, and we are hsing a 10 year old and an 8 year old with two ridiculously crazy littles running around (3 and 1). It has been quite a test of my patience and my strength (we had a heck of a winter up here this year - and EVERYTHING broke:glare:). But, we are making it through just fine... I have realized that I can take breaks, days off, weeks off here and there and still keep these guys up to par on the really important stuff. I usually plan a couple months in advance, and then we try to stick to it as closely as possible. If it all doesn't get done, it doesn't... I am ok with that. Hopefully, as time goes on, DH will get to help with it more than he can now (because he really wants to!!). Just try to get as much planned out over the summer, and realize that you can do it!

How much time do you feel like you need to be prepared for a week of homeschooling?

It really depends upon what materials you choose and your experience. I choose materials that are ready to pick up and go. Anything that requires a lot of weekly planninig doesn't work in my house. I've also homeschooled from the beginnng. For the summer, I spent around 5 -6 hours prepping an 11 week summer term. I printed off the spread sheets for the children's binders and that's it for prep work until August or September. Generally, if I plan on a weekly basis, it takes 30 minutes - 1 hour for 4 children. Again, I use material that's pick up and go. A friend uses Tapestry of Grace and told me she needs 3 or so hours of prep every week for her 2 children. My sil mentioned needing several hours a week when she was using KONOS.

Also, the first year of homeschooling is trial and error. It becomes much easier to pick out material and plan later. At first, I had to try a piece of curriculum to know if it will work for my family. I'm able to thumb through curriculum, now, and know if it's a good fit.

Good luck!

I plan/prepare everything in the summer. It is a lot of work, but saves my sanity during school when time is limited. It also keeps us on track.

My dh doesn't help with any of that at all. Like your dh, he runs his business and works a lot of hours. It would be too much to ask him to help with the schooling too.

I just want to encourage you too. I am brand new to homeschooling (we just pulled out in January) and I found I needed to choose an open-and-go curriculum. There's just too much out there. this way i know I have all the bases covered and don't have to worry about planning it all. And actually I like it so much that I am continuing with it next year. you can do it!!!

It really depends upon what materials you choose and your experience. I choose materials that are ready to pick up and go. Anything that requires a lot of weekly planninig doesn't work in my house. I've also homeschooled from the beginnng. For the summer, I spent around 5 -6 hours prepping an 11 week summer term. I printed off the spread sheets for the children's binders and that's it for prep work until August or September. Generally, if I plan on a weekly basis, it takes 30 minutes - 1 hour for 4 children. Again, I use material that's pick up and go. A friend uses Tapestry of Grace and told me she needs 3 or so hours of prep every week for her 2 children. My sil mentioned needing several hours a week when she was using KONOS.

Also, the first year of homeschooling is trial and error. It becomes much easier to pick out material and plan later. At first, I had to try a piece of curriculum to know if it will work for my family. I'm able to thumb through curriculum, now, and know if it's a good fit.

Good luck!

:iagree: I did much more prepping when I first began to homeschool. I do much less now. In the beginning, I did not use curriculum. I made everything myself. I spent hours.

I have learned not to plan to far in advance. I do have a general idea and goals I would like to acheive. For me, it works better not to write it down until it is completed.

Materials make all the difference. Some years I have barely done any preparation time. Sometimes I do plenty. This year, I spend about an hour on Fridays making up their schedules for the following week- but I have teenagers! During school holidays I do the bulk of the planning.

You can do it. My dh doesn't help at all, never has. You can leave the kids with him some time and go to a coffee shop to do some planning. Does he work from home? Then you will need to set some boundaries around school time so he- and you- can learn to treat it as seriously as his job. My dh works form home and it took a long time to train him I wasnt available at his whim for a cuppa.