Menu

Singapore Challenging Word Problems, which book to start with

nukeswife

I heard that these were being discontinued and I've often wanted to get them so I bought all 6 books. My question now is how do I decide which level to start with once we get them?

My kids are

Just turned 10 year old boy (we just finished 4th grade for him) who is about 3/4 of the way through Teaching Textbooks grade 5.

7.5 year old girl who is about 1/2 way through CLE math 1.

almost 4 year old boy that I'm not worried about yet.

I did just receive MUS alpha, beta and gamma that we'll be working with this summer and thought the CWP would be a good add on for that.

I've seen around that they are being discontinued, but not when. Any ideas? :confused:

Here's the link to the Singaporemath.com where Jenny (the moderator) posted

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252

The gist is this is the last year they will get any, can't guarantee how long the current supplies will be available, but expects at least some levels to be gone by the end of summer depending on orders.

Well mine are still on back order at Rainbow Resource center. I think RR was guaranteed to get them during the summer, but after that I think they are no more:( I'm on the living math yahoo group and Julie said that she really likes zaccaro's challenge math. She actually likes it better than CWP. So if you can't get cwp I'd take a look at that. I plan on using both. Right now the only cwp I have are 1,2 and 4. 3,5 and 6 have been backordered since march or april when the announcement went out that they are being discontinued.

Well mine are still on back order at Rainbow Resource center. I think RR was guaranteed to get them during the summer, but after that I think they are no more:( I'm on the living math yahoo group and Julie said that she really likes zaccaro's challenge math. She actually likes it better than CWP. So if you can't get cwp I'd take a look at that. I plan on using both. Right now the only cwp I have are 1,2 and 4. 3,5 and 6 have been backordered since march or april when the announcement went out that they are being discontinued.

UH Oh another product we have in common. I guess I was "Watching" you this time

Lady Aberlin,

I ordered all six levels from Sonlight a few weeks ago and had no problems getting them. We've already received them. We've only done level 2 with my 2nd grader but I would also like to do them with my younger son. I was afraid they would be gone but was pleased to receive them so quickly.

My non math phobic child finds working one grade below with the CWP books still hard. Even in grade 2 books they are 2 and 3 step problems that take real thinking not purely doing operations.

Just try it and see what happens, that is the true test.

I'd not heard they are being discontinued. Guess I should order more.

Well perhaps they will work more CWP into the regular texts? Just a thought.

LOL!!! So in response to your Latin thread I think you should pick Lively Latin. That is what I eventually want to use. If you do, then I can watch you some more:lol:

Well so far LL has more votes than LFC, but maybe I'll hang onto it just in case. I'll keep you posted though.

Well perhaps they will work more CWP into the regular texts? Just a thought.

Doubt it, because as I understand it, CWP was put out by an entirely different publisher than Primary Mathematics. It was always a supplementary book, not a part of the core program.

From what Jenny says, they are looking for another similar product to offer, but haven't found anything that really compares at this point.