Menu

Does this spelling resource exist?

Quiver0f10

I'd love a resource that was a list of words grouped by sounds, so when we covered say the sound oi we'd have a whole list of oi words. I know some words will be covered in each lesson(if we use swr) but I'd love a list of these words for additional practice. Any ideas? Thanks!

my sister taught montessori and gave me a bunch of materials that would fit this description. I was just using them today to work on different ways to make the long e sound and had dd looking at "ey" words, "ie" words, "ea" words and "ee" words. Of course, I have no idea what these are called b/c it's jut in a big ziplock bag from my sister. But, you might google around over in places that have montessori resources.

ETA that I found something! Here is a page with lots of downloadables and here is the "oi" page. I'm off to explore this website more fully--I'm glad you asked!!

Edited by urban mama

The ABC's and All Their Tricks would work. It arranges words by their spelling first, and then by sound, for spellings with multiple sounds associated with them (for example, it has a page each for ou as in shout, ou as in four, ou as in soup, and ou as in young, all of which are in the section for the letter O). If you wanted words with the same sounds, but different spellings, you could just look up each spelling for a given sound that you wanted to practice.

Edited to add: The book has a summary page of all the various vowel spellings, summary pages for letters with multiple sounds or involved in multiple spelling variations, and lots of cross-references - all of which would help in finding multiple spellings for a given sound. It is really an awesome reference.

Edited by forty-two
add'l info

The ABCs and all their tricks. It has several levels of words for each sound and also exceptions.

On my spelling for success page (cannot link now, typing from phone) there are links to several free programs that are arranged this way, also Blend Phonics on Don Potter's website.

OK, back from the park, I can link now.

Easy Steps to Spelling and the Pollard series are laid out that way.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Spelling/spellingforsucce.html

Also, if you google "words ending in oy" or "words with oi" you can get amazingly good results, I use this when I need certain words for my lessons and don't want to get a dictionary out or think them up on my own:

http://www.morewords.com/ends-with/oy/

http://www.morewords.com/contains/oi/

The ABeka Language Curriculum/Lesson Plans books for 1st and 2nd grades (and maybe 3rd if I'm not mistaken) have at the beginning some teacher resource pages, and part of those teacher helps is a listing of all the "special sounds" as they call them, titled, "Phonics Words Lists".

They are listed by sound, so under the "oi" is a whole list of "oi" words, there's also "oy" with its own list of words. It's really a great resource. I photocopied that section of my (grade 2) Language Curriculum/Lesson Plans book before I sold it.

I'd love a resource that was a list of words grouped by sounds, so when we covered say the sound oi we'd have a whole list of oi words. I know some words will be covered in each lesson(if we use swr) but I'd love a list of these words for additional practice. Any ideas? Thanks!

Do you mean grouped literally by sound, or by the letters that make a particular sound? For instance, the sound in oi can also be spelled oy. If you want a resource that groups spelling words by the grapheme, then ABC's and All Their Tricks group that way. OTOH, if you want spelling grouped by the sound, I've not found one, and have had to put them together. (It's a very effective spelling strategy to teach by actual sound, and then teach the kids to sort the words with that sound into the potentially correct ways to spell it. So if you were working with the long e sound, you could teach that it's made by open e (such as me, or because), e-e (here, these) ea, ee, ie, ei, etc. Then dictate a list of words and let the student sort the words under the correct heading.

Do you mean grouped literally by sound, or by the letters that make a particular sound? For instance, the sound in oi can also be spelled oy. If you want a resource that groups spelling words by the grapheme, then ABC's and All Their Tricks group that way. OTOH, if you want spelling grouped by the sound, I've not found one, and have had to put them together. (It's a very effective spelling strategy to teach by actual sound, and then teach the kids to sort the words with that sound into the potentially correct ways to spell it. So if you were working with the long e sound, you could teach that it's made by open e (such as me, or because), e-e (here, these) ea, ee, ie, ei, etc. Then dictate a list of words and let the student sort the words under the correct heading.

Thank you Laurie. I think I am looking for list grouped by sounds. Too bad there isn't an already made resoucne LOL. I can put list together as we work though. I think that would really benefit my 12 yo.

Jean, I think Natural Speller works that way. I almost bought if for the "grouping" method but decided to go a different route. You might try that.

Also, Victory Drill, although not a spelling program, has pages of words grouped by sound that you could certainly use for spelling.

Thank you Laurie. I think I am looking for list grouped by sounds. Too bad there isn't an already made resoucne LOL. I can put list together as we work though. I think that would really benefit my 12 yo.

There are spelling programs that are set up this way--Spelling Power comes to mind. You won't see an exhaustive list at once, but you will see a list of words with the same sound spelled several different ways. You could look through several different levels to put a longer list together.

Reading Reflex has words listed this way too. (We actually stopped using both of these because of this, LOL! My kids needed to do more work understanding each individual spelling before they were ready to do this type of word-sorting activity).

BTW--I remember you were looking at AAS. What AAS does is teach the patterns individually, then they put them together in a lesson and have a student practice word-sorting. Today my son did dictations with words using 3 different ways to spell /ER/ (er, ur, ir), and he didn't miss any of the words. I was so happy for him! He learned each of them one at a time, separated by quite a few lessons, with word banks to read for visual recognition for each spelling--and then they put it all together. This method has really helped us.

Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

School Phonics lists words that way, but they are all easy words, the two student books are $8.75 each from Didax.

The vowels (including silent e's) are red, that doesn't work for some of my students, they need black and white words.

http://www.didax.com/shop/productdetails.cfm/Keyword/school%20phonics/Sort/Item/Order/Asc/StartRow/1/ShowAll/No/ItemNo/1-58324-103-5.cfm

http://www.didax.com/shop/productdetails.cfm/Keyword/school%20phonics/Sort/Item/Order/Asc/StartRow/1/ShowAll/No/ItemNo/1-58324-104-3.cfm

You would be very happy with How to Teach Spelling by EPS books. It has sound sheets that list the different ways to spell each sound, in addition to lists of words, nonsense words, phrases, and sentences for dictation.

Not to add another one to the list, but have you seen Hannah's Word Attack? She has lessons according to sounds with lists and dictation sentences to reinforce the lessons. Hope that helps!

That looks to be a very good program! I will be looking into this one for future needs.

When I looked at the samples, however, I noticed that the short i sound didn't have the word friend, the short e sound did not have the word head... in other words, they were grouped by short vowell sounds that are spelled with just that vowell, and did not have the exceptions.