Menu

Dinner party planning help!...

Specifically, a menu (or two) that (a) doesn't require a BBQ, (b) isn't too complicated, and © doesn't require much last-minute work (I do have time to prep earlier in the day).

DH just called to say he initiated not one but two dinner parties at our house this week (without asking me first, but that's another subject :glare:). Two senior managers from his company, one with whom I am acquainted and one whom I've never met, are in town for a couple of days and they are coming over Thursday. Then, a couple whom I have met once (DH's deputy and his wife) are coming Sunday.

DH will be at work all day for the Thursday gig and bringing those folks home with him, so he is not help, and we are at a Living History thing all afternoon Sunday.

Sigh. I know he wants to show them our new house (perhaps they'll overlook the Early Moving Box decor?) but I am so used to our BBQing for dinner parties that I am at a loss and not looking forward to either of these.

What are your faves?

Thanks!!!

P.S. There is no place in this smallish town to get much more than pizza or fried chicken for takeout. Although those may become options.

What about lasagna? You can get the Barilla noodles that do not have to be cooked first and assemble the lasagna the night before so that all you have to do is pop it in the oven before dinner. If you do go this route, use more sauce than you would normally though because the noodles will suck it up overnight. You could make a salad (also the night before) and just pick up some garlic bread the day of the event. Spaghetti or something like that would also be easy as you could make up the components ahead of time and just boil the noodles on the day.

Another option I have used in the past is a beef roast in the crock pot. I put mine in with some onion flavored beef broth or canned french onion soup as the liquid. Then, let it cook. A few hours before dinner, I add some potatoes, carrots or whatever vegetables and let them cook in with the roast. You could still serve with a salad and bread or whatever else you want.

Hope either of those help or spur some ideas.

Okay, I'm not sure if these will fit your "not much last-minute" work or not, but I have had much success making chicken piccata and chicken marsala using Emeril's recipes. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/veal-piccata-with-angel-hair-and-parmigiana-reggiano-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/chicken-marsala-recipe/index.html

You can do most of the prep work ahead of time (tenderize chicken, mix together coating, meaure out ingredients for sauce) and actually making the chicken and sauce would probably only take you 20 or so minutes. They both turn out deliciously and are very easy to do if you just follow his detailed instructions. Both can be paired with crusty bread and salad to make a great meal. Maybe you could make a dessert that you can prepare ahead of time and stick in the fridge? Mini-molten cakes are so easy and can be made ahead and refrigerated. You would just need to warm them up before serving.

Also, manicotti makes a great make-ahead meal. I use the recipe on Barilla's website. It's so easy. You can make it ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator. And then bake it an hour before you want to serve it. It can also be easily paired with salad and bread for a complete meal.

Good luck!

they could be prepared in advance.

Lasagne (you can make it fancy by using meatballs and sausage chunks) with a green salad and bread.

I don't have a recipe for this one - but I use penne, chicken pieces and broccoli in a white sauce w/ parmesan - I'm sure there are recipes for this.

You could roast a turkey breast and slice it ahead of time. You could serve it with cold sides if it is warm there.

HTH

Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches!!!!

Casual, extremely yummy! Add a big colorful salad and a great dessert for a complete meal.

This recipe came from someone one this board ( I wish I could remember who!) and I've used it often when entertaining. Granted, I'm a casual entertainer, but this recipe gets raves! Raves!!!!!

Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches

Serves 8-10 depending on the size of the rolls used. Easily doubles and triples.

3 or 4 lb. chuck, rump or top round roast-- trimmed of fat

1 package dry Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix

1/2 of a 16 oz. jar pepperoncini peppers -- including juice (or more to taste- I just dump the whole thing in but usually have a bigger roast) Reserve a few peppers to put in about two hours before serving to pump up the flavor.

1 cup water and 1 package au jus gravy packet OR 1 can beef broth

sliced cheese (Swiss or provolone)

Kaiser rolls

Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker or crockpot. Cook several hours (5-8 hours or more) on low. When meat is done (at least 5 hours), shred it and put back in its juices to finish the cooking time. The more time it has to soak up the juices after you shred it, the better! Put shredded meat on rolls. Top with favorite cheese and put the top roll on. Bake in the oven or put under the broiler until roll is toasted and cheese is melted. Serve with a bowl of the juices and peppers for dipping.

I often put this on the day before I need it. The more meat you have, the more time you need. Add a portion of the peppers a couple of hours before serving to pump up the flavor.

I too think lasagna is an easy, lo-risk option. Who doesn't like lasagna? A green salad & some crusty bread & you are all set.

Since these are 2 different groups, you don't need 2 different menus. Shop once, assemble the lasagnas (separate pans) once, and entertain twice. Your hubby will have to deal with the same meal twice since he issued the invites without asking you :tongue_smilie:

Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches!!!!

Casual, extremely yummy! Add a big colorful salad and a great dessert for a complete meal.

This recipe came from someone one this board ( I wish I could remember who!) and I've used it often when entertaining. Granted, I'm a casual entertainer, but this recipe gets raves! Raves!!!!!

Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches

Serves 8-10 depending on the size of the rolls used. Easily doubles and triples.

3 or 4 lb. chuck, rump or top round roast-- trimmed of fat

1 package dry Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix

1/2 of a 16 oz. jar pepperoncini peppers -- including juice (or more to taste- I just dump the whole thing in but usually have a bigger roast) Reserve a few peppers to put in about two hours before serving to pump up the flavor.

1 cup water and 1 package au jus gravy packet OR 1 can beef broth

sliced cheese (Swiss or provolone)

Kaiser rolls

Mix all ingredients together in a slow cooker or crockpot. Cook several hours (5-8 hours or more) on low. When meat is done (at least 5 hours), shred it and put back in its juices to finish the cooking time. The more time it has to soak up the juices after you shred it, the better! Put shredded meat on rolls. Top with favorite cheese and put the top roll on. Bake in the oven or put under the broiler until roll is toasted and cheese is melted. Serve with a bowl of the juices and peppers for dipping.

I often put this on the day before I need it. The more meat you have, the more time you need. Add a portion of the peppers a couple of hours before serving to pump up the flavor.

Yes! Make these. I made them for the party we had after our marriage validation. We came home at the same time our guest arrived, so all my prep had to be in advance.

Our priest ate 3 of these sandwiches. He raved about them and he is a gourmet cook and wine snob. He would not compliment a food he did not like. Also, he is a priest and would not lie. :D

I did make ours self service, so no toasting, and I used provolone cheese.

Menu #1 - Salad Licoise (serve with french bread)

4 new potatoes

2 hard boiled eggs

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

4 tablespoons olive oil

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon sugar

1 bag baby spinach or salad greens

2 ripe tomatoes, diced

1 cup snow peas

¼ cup kalamata olives

¼ cup nuts (I use toasted pine nuts, but the original recipe called for pistachios or slivered almonds)

¼ cup crumbled blue cheese

Tuna, or any white fish, grilled or baked. Heck, you can microwave if you like.

Boil potatoes until fork tender.

To make dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, oil, and salt until they are emulsified (well blended and thickened). Allow the potatoes and cool for a few minutes, then cut into wedges and toss them with 1 tablespoon of the dressing.

On serving plates, neatly assemble the salads, starting with the greens, and then adding layers of the other ingredients. Spread the potatoes around the edges. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the salads. Lastly, add the grilled fish.

Serves 4

From The Six O’Clock Scramble by Aviva Goldfarb

Menu #2 - Thai Chicken Wraps and Fruit Salad

Tortillas

Rice, cooked

Boneless Chicken Breasts or use a rotisserie chicken

Ginger Slaw (recipe follows)

Peanut Sauce – buy or make your own

Marinade the chicken (I use Kikkoman roasted garlic and herbs. If I forget, I just salt and pepper the chicken). Cook the chicken (grill, George Foreman, slice and stir fry… or use leftover cooked chicken)

Slice into strips.

Ginger Slaw

Salad:

2 cups cabbage, shredded or sliced thin

1 cup carrot, shredded

1 cup snow peas, slivered

2 tablespoons cilantro

Dressing: use Paul Newman Asian dressing. It's the one with ginger in it.

OR

Wisk together all ingredients. Let stand overnight in the fridge (if you have time) to blend flavors.

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup rice vinegar

3 tablespoons sesame oil

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons mirin (which I never have. I use a splash of sherry)

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

¼ teaspoon cayenne

Heat the tortillas. Fill with cooked rice, chicken, ginger slaw, and peanut sauce. Roll up and enjoy.