Menu

Long lost WTMer needs advice on seed age guidelines!

Hello old friends on the boards......I got out of the habit of posting, but when I have a problem that stumps me, invariably I think of the hive mind. A few years ago, I read the recommendations here for the book called Roots, Shoots, Buckets, and Boots (a great book, btw), and I ambitiously bought sunflower and morning glory seeds for a sunflower house. My ambition ran out when I was digging a trench for the house, and my seeds have been languishing for 4? years. They've been inside, not in a hot garage - are they viable? My kids are now old enough to dig the trench, so I'm feeling vicariously ambitious.:)

Thanks for hearing me out, old pals, and I'd appreciate your advice!

Peace be with you,

OKCyndi

Although I'm not a huge gardener, I did try to plant sunflower seeds that were 2 years old last year (kept in the house in a closed space), and they did not come up. The packet said for 2007, but I figured I'd give it a try.

You could always try, and then get new seeds if they don't grow... after all, the trench will already be dug :)

All the advice that I've seen says seeds are really only viable for a year or so, but then I've read anecdotes about people trying out packets of seeds they found in their junk drawer and finding them viable. One quick way to find out is to put a few of them on a wet paper towel inside a sealed plastic bag in a warm spot. You'll know in a few days (maybe a week?) if they're usable or not. Then you can plant the sprouted ones too!

Edited by melissel

I think that you'll get some germination, but not in the normal proportions for fresh seeds. I believe the oldest seeds ever sprouted were 4000 years old, so 4 years might not be so bad! You might want to plant two in each hole, and if they both come up, pull the weaker one. Or plant them in little seedflats and transplant the ones that make it.

Here is how to tell. Wet a paper towel for each type of seed, put about 5 or so seeds in it and fold it over and put it in a zip lock bag. Keep it wet in a warm place (not hot, not cold) and in about a week you'll either see some sprouting or no sprouting. You can also plant the seeds. What happens is that the first year usually almost 100% sprout, the next year might be 40% to 80% and then it continues to go down. Some plants seeds will last a long time and some won't.