Menu

a couple of quick singapore questions

mamamoon

I started using the HIGs for level 3A to help me understand the model method of analyzing word problems. I like them for both the added explanations and solutions when I don't have time to work out the problems myself. If you are strong in math, you'll probably not need them as much.

Judy

Unless you have money to burn and really, really want to use someone else's schedules and explainations, I wouldn't worry about the HIGs.

We are start 4a/b and so far I've not purchased the tests. I do have the HIGs for this year but I don't know that we will really use them all that much. I was a little nervous about fractions and wanted to have the books to reference. Before now we haven't needed or missed them and I have looked at the HIGs for levels 2 and 3.

:001_smile:

I think the Home Instructors guides are good (U.S. Edition), but didnt use them consistently. While they provided a great 'how' to do it, they did not give me enough 'why' we do it.

I have dropped HIGS and started using these two: Elementary Mathematics for Teachers and Elementary Geometry for Teachers by Parker & Baldridge.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Math_Teacher_Resource_s/27.htm

What level does the Elementary Mathematics for Teachers and Elementary Geometry for Teachers by Parker & Baldridge.

http://www.singaporemath.com/Math_Te...ource_s/27.htm go to?

They use the primary texts 3-6 levels as homework/study and some of Nem1 with the Geometry book. The Primary(U.S. ed) texts would be needed as well as the Parker & Baldridge books.

Edited by Ray

Okay. Now I know why I didn't know what hig's were--I have never used them! Guess they are definitely unnecessary at our house! :) I have used Singapore for four years now and have never needed them. I always make an assignment list for each level incorporating the CWP and IP pages that correspond with each chapter of the text and workbook. The lists are reusable as my kids progress to a level that a sibling has already done. This has worked well for us. We use the Reviews as "tests." IP also has mid-year and end-of-year assessments.

very helpful, thank you~so regarding the elementary math for teachers book, i looked at it, is it a lot of reading, or does it really give practical advice i can jump in and use. i have not been having any problems teaching the math so far, but i feel i could do a lot better explaing certain things.

and on the hig's are all of those excercises ones that correspond with the actual workbooks, or is that extra stuff they are having you practice with the child?

We started Singapore with 4A&B and I didn't buy the HIG, but I wish I had. At least for 4B. There were some word problems that even I had trouble figuring out towards the end of 4B. When I ordered 5A&5B I ordered the instructor's guides too and haven't looked back. They've been a tremendous help to me. They have all the answers in them for the textbook and workbook exercices, practices and reviews which makes them a breeze for me to grade and also they show the problems worked out for the more complex ones so that has been a big help for me in teaching them. I always buy the HIG"s now. :)

I only have the HiGs for 1A/B Standards Edition. I think they are "vital", even "essential" if you are going to use Singapore Math to the fullest. These SE HiGs were improved over the US Edition from what I understand and would be cause enough for me to pick the Standards Edition if I were starting out over the US Edition.

I'm just reading the new Singapore Math Model book (too early for a review) and I'm convinced a parent/teacher who "understands" the model is going to be a far better teacher.

And I'll probably read Parker & Baldridge too.

I've read a lot of posts saying "we didn't bother with the HiGs, no problem". And thought about not ordering them myself. Boy would that have been a mistake!

The SE HiGs give a parent the "minimum" that they need to know about the model. And have useful tips. Things you should know and do. And suggestions for enriching activities (that are actually good ideas rather than twaddle).

Passing on these would be false economy IMO. As they are "high value".

Bill

"so regarding the elementary math for teachers book, i looked at it, is it a lot of reading, or does it really give practical advice i can jump in and use."

Yes a bit of reading (not painful) and a lot of doing Primary Math problems.

I have looked toward the end of the elementary maths we will reach and if I do not aquire a better understanding of the material, my answers to DC questions, will be nothing more than me re-reading the text louder and louder...ridiculus. Putting the effort into the books will pay off- has paid off.

Related side story; Egyptian Numerals were discussed in the math teachers book and since DD was covering Egyptians in HAOH I brought them up. Well this was some weeks ago, and this weekend DD was working some CWP problems and I asked her to show her work, hoping to see model diagrams being drawn-instead Ancient Egyptian numerals is what she wrote down. After I got another cup of coffee I did say- " its still just the anwser...just a pain in the ... for me to check:glare:

If one does not have the time to actually complete the Parker/Baldridge books they still are a good read about the whys of Singapore Primary Math from the authors point of view.

Ray

Although I'm strong in Math took Calculus II AP in HS, its been ages. I bought the HIG for my first year of afterschooling starting with 1a. We're now formally hs and in 2b and I really like them. I have the US edition so the HIG have all the MM exercises in the back which I use for drills and extra practice. I have seen that in the new Standards edition some of that is in the book so from that standpoint you may not need it. But I do like all the ideas and ways they explain the concepts. I love using the book for supplemental game ideas. My ds likes those games and I'm not sure I would have thought to play as many of them if I didn't have the book.

The plan this summer is to go back and just do the MM pages at the end for drillls especially on the ones we skimmed through at the beginning of the year.

I actually just read through the section we're doing that day right before we do math (while he's doing handwriting or something).

I'm just reading the new Singapore Math Model book (too early for a review) and I'm convinced a parent/teacher who "understands" the model is going to be a far better teacher.

Bill

Bill, would you say that this book would be useful for understanding and teaching the Secondary level as well? Is it a general method or is strictly for primary levels?? Thanks for your reply.:)

Bill, would you say that this book would be useful for understanding and teaching the Secondary level as well? Is it a general method or is strictly for primary levels?? Thanks for your reply.:)

Ask me again in a few days.

I'm only part way in. Looking ahead it does appear to touch on basic algebra (and how to solve word problems), but sees to pertain mainly to primary math.

Bill