Menu

God's Design Science series

MrsMe

from Answers in Genesis. Have you used this? It looks pretty good, but the supply list looks daunting. Thoughts?

I used the older versions, but we really enjoyed them. We didn't do all the experiments, but what we did do was fun and worked well. I am planning on buying the whole series this summer (I hope). :D

Heather

We have the whole series, and we enjoyed using the three "life" books this past year. Don't let the supply list bother you; the experiments are not difficult, and some of them can be easily skipped without the whole lesson falling apart. Some of the supplies are for more crafty type projects to reinforce the lesson, and these can be skipped or easily modified to fit what you do have on hand. The books are easy to work through, and I did not have to spend huge amounts of time prepping; they are also easy to do with children of different ages/abilities. My guys are getting a good grounding in wide range of science topics, they enjoy science time, and so do I.

I was wondering, if you did completed the 3 life books last year. How often did you do science 3x a week?? Did you supplement with other books? Does Gods Design suggest other books? Thanks for posting, just wondered how you used the program!!

I was wondering, if you did completed the 3 life books last year. How often did you do science 3x a week?? Did you supplement with other books? Does Gods Design suggest other books? Thanks for posting, just wondered how you used the program!!

Each book has about 30 lessons in it. We did science 4 days a week and didn't have any problem getting through the earth science books in a year. From TOC online all the books (not just the Earth Science) have around 30 lessons.

Heather

Thanks. I also have a book "God's Design Science Wild Kingdom" and it's black and white. They're not black and white, right? The samples are color? This must be an old version?

They just re-did the series this spring to add the color. There are two older versions, one published by the original author and one published by AIG when AIG bought them from the author, which were only black and white.

Oh and there are two GDS yahoo groups. Group 1 and group 2.

Heather

Is there a big difference between the older version and the newer versions?

-Tia

I used the older versions, but we really enjoyed them. We didn't do all the experiments, but what we did do was fun and worked well. I am planning on buying the whole series this summer (I hope). :D

Heather

-Tia

Tia,

Content wise it doesn't look like there is a lot. From the sames it looks like they added some stuff for older children, but the base lessons looked the same. The big change was adding all the color photos. We didn't continue with the series this year because my oldest was tired of the black and white format.

Heather

Siloam, You are now our science expert. ha, ha.

Knowing you have used Apologia K-6 books. Do you like God's Design better? Why?

LOL! If I am the expert we are all in trouble! :smilielol5:

-I like them both for different reasons. Apologia has more depth, but GD is easier to use.

-GD has lessons that are a page to a page and a half long, then an activity with questions. Very consistent, very easy to schedule.

-Apologia has chapters with subheadings. The length of the chapters vary though you rarely have a sub-heading that goes longer than a page and a half. It takes a week to get through many chapters and most of the activities are at the end of the chapter (sometimes they do have one in the middle, not always).

-Apologia is very heavy on Biology topics: Zoo 1, 2, 3, Botany, Human Body coming out this year. One Earth Science text: Astronomy and a combined Physics/Chemistry book is planed but several years out.

-GD has very good coverage of all the science topics.

-GD has more activities and experiments all the way around, but some are simple crossword puzzles.

I end up using Apologia a lot for our group science program because my kids are very into animals and plants (the oldest two plan to be vets). I read during lunch so the lack of activities is not a problem then, even for my hands on learners. I use GD starting in 4th grade to get my kiddos into the other science fields, and the smaller reading portions are great not only for me given the extra work it makes for me to read one kid and additional text, but eventually I have them begin reading on their own, so it is nice small chunks for them. They also benefit from having more to do, given I have so many hands on learners. In fact if I had known that GD was coming out in color I would have continued with their physics books instead of using Apologia General with my oldest, but by the time they were out I had already bought AG.

I guess I do lean towards preferring GD now that it is in full color, but that won't stop us from using Apologia, and other stuff too.

Heather

-I like them both for different reasons. Apologia has more depth, but GD is easier to use.

-GD has lessons that are a page to a page and a half long, then an activity with questions. Very consistent, very easy to schedule.

-Apologia has chapters with subheadings. The length of the chapters vary though you rarely have a sub-heading that goes longer than a page and a half. It takes a week to get through many chapters and most of the activities are at the end of the chapter (sometimes they do have one in the middle, not always).

-Apologia is very heavy on Biology topics: Zoo 1, 2, 3, Botany, Human Body coming out this year. One Earth Science text: Astronomy and a combined Physics/Chemistry book is planed but several years out.

-GD has more activities and experiments all the way around, but some are simple crossword puzzles.

I end up using Apologia a lot for our group science program because my kids are very into animals and plants (the oldest two plan to be vets). I read during lunch so the lack of activities is not a problem then, even for my hands on learners. I use GD starting in 4th grade to get my kiddos into the other science fields, and the smaller reading portions are great not only for me given the extra work it makes for me to read one kid and additional text, but eventually I have them begin reading on their own, so it is nice small chunks for them. They also benefit from having more to do, given I have so many hands on learners. In fact if I had known that GD was coming out in color I would have continued with their physics books instead of using Apologia General with my oldest, but by the time they were out I had already bought AG.

I guess I do lean towards preferring GD now that it is in full color, but that won't stop us from using Apologia, and other stuff too.

Heather

Heather, does that mean you will not be using GD with your kids younger than 4th grade or am I misunderstanding?

We have found this to be a perfect choice for multiple ages. My girls are hands on and WANT to do notebooking, coloring pages, cut and paste things but my ds hates to do any of it. This series has provided short enough text that my girls can focus and answer questions but enough "meat" to grab my son's attention.

I hope to combine it with some usborne books next year just to add a little variety. It was also for the color photos but now that GD have gone to color that is not as much of a need. :)

Heather, does that mean you will not be using GD with your kids younger than 4th grade or am I misunderstanding?

I haven't used them with my younger kids yet, but if I am successful in buying the whole set this summer (as I hope to), then I will use the Life series after we finish Zoo 3. It is just a lot of money and I have a lot of other things going on, so if necessary I will just buy the Earth series and use the Apologia Botany book I already own.

Heather

Heather

Do you know when the Human Body Apologia is due to come out? I didn't see anything on the site and that sounds great.

-Tia

We have a couple of books from the old version and just purchased the new versions. Besides the color pictures the new version comes with a separate teachers supplement. In the old version each chapter had a few review questions to answer. But the answers were right below the question! This works great if you're reading it to a younger child. But my ds would read the lesson to himself, read the questions, then read the answer. Nevermind trying to cover the answer to see if he could get it right. That part was a nuisance.

Now the answers are in the TS.

Old version had all the info in one book, including quizzes. New version includes a CD that has the quizzes and worksheets you can print off. Since everything is no longer in one book it will require a bit more coordinating. The TS also includes some AIG stuff on creation v. evolution as well as a discussion on the 7 C's of history.

This series, with its short and to-the-point chapters, is perfect for my ds. And the differences were enough for us to spring for the newer versions.

HTH,

Cinder

Edited by Cinder
add more info

Do you know when the Human Body Apologia is due to come out? I didn't see anything on the site and that sounds great.

They were hoping for fall, but the last I heard it had been delayed, so I think now it is by Christmas.

Heather

Cathy Duffy's review says that the God's Design books tend to have vocabulary and concepts that are too advanced before 4th grade. From Cathy's review:

"The authors have written it such that it can be read directly to students, but many of these presentations are dense with new vocabulary. I think most children will have a hard time just listening and absorbing so much detail. The authors do suggest using other resources to provide more information than what is given in these books or to provide similar information in a different way. I suspect that this section will be the most problematic part of the curriculum. Much of the information is just far more complex than I would try to present to a first or second grader. For example, in the third lesson (structure of the atmosphere) in Our Weather and Water (from earth science) the teacher is to read to students, “The earth’s atmosphere consists of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases including hydrogen, helium, argon, and carbon dioxide. This combination of nitrogen and oxygen is the ideal atmosphere for life. Nitrogen is a relatively nonreactive gas. Its purpose in the atmosphere appears to be to dilute the oxygen. If the oxygen concentration was more than 21 % fires would easily burn out of control.” Note that within just these few sentences, you are introducing a number of vocabulary words and concepts unfamiliar to most children: the various chemical elements, the idea of percentages, nonreactive gases, dilution, and the relationship between oxygen and fires. I fear that the above sentences would sound like gibberish to most young students. For this reason, I would probably not attempt to use these books with children below about fourth grade level UNLESS I were teaching an older student and letting the younger student participate in a more limited fashion that wouldn’t be overwhelming."

She reviewed the version before it was redesigned. Does that still hold true? I ask because I really need to find a science curr. that I can use with both my 2nd and 5th graders together. Or is that too much to ask?

Cathy Duffy's review says that the God's Design books tend to have vocabulary and concepts that are too advanced before 4th grade. From Cathy's review:

"The authors have written it such that it can be read directly to students, but many of these presentations are dense with new vocabulary. I think most children will have a hard time just listening and absorbing so much detail. The authors do suggest using other resources to provide more information than what is given in these books or to provide similar information in a different way. I suspect that this section will be the most problematic part of the curriculum. Much of the information is just far more complex than I would try to present to a first or second grader. For example, in the third lesson (structure of the atmosphere) in Our Weather and Water (from earth science) the teacher is to read to students, “The earth’s atmosphere consists of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases including hydrogen, helium, argon, and carbon dioxide. This combination of nitrogen and oxygen is the ideal atmosphere for life. Nitrogen is a relatively nonreactive gas. Its purpose in the atmosphere appears to be to dilute the oxygen. If the oxygen concentration was more than 21 % fires would easily burn out of control.†Note that within just these few sentences, you are introducing a number of vocabulary words and concepts unfamiliar to most children: the various chemical elements, the idea of percentages, nonreactive gases, dilution, and the relationship between oxygen and fires. I fear that the above sentences would sound like gibberish to most young students. For this reason, I would probably not attempt to use these books with children below about fourth grade level UNLESS I were teaching an older student and letting the younger student participate in a more limited fashion that wouldn’t be overwhelming."

She reviewed the version before it was redesigned. Does that still hold true? I ask because I really need to find a science curr. that I can use with both my 2nd and 5th graders together. Or is that too much to ask?

I think you're right. That's too much technical stuff!

If it helps you feel any better, I don't do each and every lesson in the books. Some of the info was too much for my first grader and K'er to take in. So, I just skipped some lessons and am looking forward to cycling through the whole series again (adding in more info from science encyclopedias, DK books, Usborne books, etc..) when my guys are older and better able to process it all. The series lays a good foundation and structure that is easy (for me) to cut back or beef up as needed.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question........

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I didn't realize AIG had completely updated this series. I looked at it online last night and couldn't believe the difference. I was very impressed. A friend loaned me BJU Science 6, but I still have to buy an activity manual and tests which is going to run me $50. I'm not sure how my 2nd grader is going to fit into the BJU 6, so I had resigned myself to buying additional things for him---meaning more money for a "loaned curriculum" that I thought was going to be "free". KWIM :glare: I'm now wondering if I should spend $80 on one of the 3 book sets and just use it for both kids.

What would y'all do? Heather, any others??????

Thanks, guys,

Jennifer

Cathy Duffy's review says that the God's Design books tend to have vocabulary and concepts that are too advanced before 4th grade.

In the new versions each chapter starts with a section called "Beginners." It's a simple overview (less than a page and in larger print) of the chapter topic with a couple of comprehension questions. This section is targeted for 1-2nd graders. There is also a suggested activity. The main part of the chapter has the lesson and discussion questions (for 3-8th graders). Then there may be an additional activity or discussion for 6-8th graders.

There is an explanation in the front of the student book that gives this info, detailing which parts of the lesson are geared to which grades.

HTH,

Cinder

With the older version I say quite a few people use the Life Series with older kids, but not as many of the Earth Science books. I have used the Weather book she indicates, and she is right. Much of it would go right over a younger kids head.

Then again Apologia Elementary does the same thing, uses a lot of proper terminology. It isn't as if every lesson has that much specific terminology either. There were some lessons that would be easy to handle with younger kids anyway. Like the one with the proper terms of topography underwater. You could write it out on a white board (they do have a picture in the book to follow), and make a game of coordinating it to landforms. At some point something has to give in order to keep your sanity.

From what I have seen of the samples the content of the actual lessons hasn't changed much. Until I have a book in hand through I can't say for sure.

Heather

I too hadn't realized how much was changed with the new edition. I have a copy of the old Properties of Matter on my shelf, and I compared it with the online sample of the new one. Although the basic content is the same, there is definite rewording, at least as far as the first chapter that's online. The Chemistry/Physics new versions have a separate section for grades 3-5 (the Earth/Life also include a grades 1-2 section). The grade 3-5 section seems to be taken from the original series. There is an additional section for grades 6-8 that is completely new for some of the books, and enhanced for the others. Also key words are now listed at the beginning of each lesson, and they are bolded throughout the lesson. There is a brand new book that wasn't part of the old series, on environmental science (grouped with the chemistry books).

I had always intended to keep on with the old since I own them, but, like the previous poster, I think the changes are good enough that I may also spring for the new with my younger dc.

FWIW, I am now just finishing the 11th book of the old series with my 5th grader, and the sometimes advanced vocabulary has always been workable. I use the dry erase board to write down words if needed, and sometimes draw little pictures to help illustrate the concept. He has enjoyed the hands-on activities, and there has been enough meat to satisfy his interest in science. I feel he has a great foundation to build upon with jr hi/high school science.

Louise

I didn't read all the responses, but here's my take on it.

We went through (are finishing up) the LIFE series this year, and will be starting, Earth, I think in the fall. We didn't do many activities at all. At the time, I didn't have their tests/wkshts, so I made up a wksht for each chapter, and the chapters are such that some wkshts had 2 or 3 questions on them. Then, every 5 chapters or so I gave her a test. The chapters are short, I think the max might have been 4 or 5 pages. It was perfect for us, because dd1 read it to dd2, who, much to our surprise, remembered a TON of stuff when we went to the zoo. (sometimes MORE than dd1, who was SUPPOSE TO BE LEARNING THIS!!!!)

:blink:

My daughter is a sponge, and loves to read and learn, so this was GREAT for our family. The past year was a rough one, and through it all she just kept going. Most of the time, with little to no input from me.

I now have all three of the new earth science books, and I think I am going to keep them and use them with my 4th and 2nd grader. I haven't had a chance to look at them in great depth, but I would say that the astronomy book is the easiest, then the earth science book, and the weather/water book looks like the hardest. I am going to go through them in that order. I plan to use the beginner section with my 2nd grader, but still have her listen to the older section. I may need to reword a couple of things for her, but I think that she should be ok.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest somuchpaint

Which program, if any, would be appropriate to read to a rising Kindergartener over the summer?

She has told me she wants to homeschool over the summer, and has in fact been "afterschooling" both years of preschool. I am getting RightStart Math level B (we won't finish it, but even though she can skip count by 5's past 100, can read an analog clock, knows basic fractions, and can read most any number under 100, she uses her fingers to count (!), and I'd like to get her beyond that before school starts). She is using time4learning Language Arts (grade 1) to learn phonics (she loves the games and being self-paced), and supplementing with lots of library books.

We are a strong Christian family, but homeschooling wouldn't be a good option for us as my daughter is looking forward to public Kindergarten because she wants to be a witness to the other children (as she did in her Christian preschool), so unless things are disastrous this fall, summers may be my only opportunity to homeschool. I have a degree in Biology, but know almost nothing about creationism, except that I made a decision in school to keep believing Genesis was literal and to not share that belief with teachers or classmates. I'd like her first lessons in science to be from a creation perspective, and I'd like to learn right along side her.

Okay, so now that you know more about me and my daughter then you probably ever wanted to know, which program would be best for us?

I would try one of the God's Design Life books (Animals, Plants, Human Body) and let her choose which one will interest her the most. The Apologia books would be better when she is older. Younger kids do fine following a long with an older sibling, but it really is too much for a little one alone.

Heather

[...] but even though she can skip count by 5's past 100, can read an analog clock, knows basic fractions, and can read most any number under 100, she uses her fingers to count (!), and I'd like to get her beyond that before school starts).

It sounds like you have a very intelligent child. I would not worry about, or be too keen on getting rid of finger-counting before school begins. Children at this age are in the grammar stage and both benefit from and crave using manipulatives. She is just using her fingers as manipulatives. If she can grasp skip counting and fractions already, it seems to me she will transition into mental math easily enough.

If she is going to PS kindergarten, don't accelerate her too much this summer. Otherwise school will be boring and frustrating. :D

The new edition has a section at the beginning for the young ones with a few questions and an activity. Then there is the longer lesson with more questions for upper elementary. There is a challenge section for middle school students.

Ladies, This curriculum says it is designed to be used all the way through 8th grade. Would you take it that far? Is it advanced enough for doing that? Or would you switch to something like Apologia General Science and all the other ones? At what point?

"The authors have written it such that it can be read directly to students, but many of these presentations are dense with new vocabulary. I think most children will have a hard time just listening and absorbing so much detail. The authors do suggest using other resources to provide more information than what is given in these books or to provide similar information in a different way. I suspect that this section will be the most problematic part of the curriculum. Much of the information is just far more complex than I would try to present to a first or second grader. For example, in the third lesson (structure of the atmosphere) in Our Weather and Water (from earth science) the teacher is to read to students, “The earth’s atmosphere consists of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases including hydrogen, helium, argon, and carbon dioxide. This combination of nitrogen and oxygen is the ideal atmosphere for life. Nitrogen is a relatively nonreactive gas. Its purpose in the atmosphere appears to be to dilute the oxygen. If the oxygen concentration was more than 21 % fires would easily burn out of control.†Note that within just these few sentences, you are introducing a number of vocabulary words and concepts unfamiliar to most children: the various chemical elements, the idea of percentages, nonreactive gases, dilution, and the relationship between oxygen and fires. I fear that the above sentences would sound like gibberish to most young students. For this reason, I would probably not attempt to use these books with children below about fourth grade level UNLESS I were teaching an older student and letting the younger student participate in a more limited fashion that wouldn’t be overwhelming."

Chiming in a little late here but have you looked at the samples of the new ones. I just finished looking through the sample pages of what we will be using next year and I was very happy with the changes. They have vocabulary words listed off to the side. They also have things color coded for younger (beginning) level and older kids. I was really excited to see some of these changes.

I used the "old" series this year with a first, third, and fifth grader. They all enjoyed it. The only thing I hope for next year is to be more organized and do more experiments and/or notebooking.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question........

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I didn't realize AIG had completely updated this series. I looked at it online last night and couldn't believe the difference. I was very impressed. A friend loaned me BJU Science 6, but I still have to buy an activity manual and tests which is going to run me $50. I'm not sure how my 2nd grader is going to fit into the BJU 6, so I had resigned myself to buying additional things for him---meaning more money for a "loaned curriculum" that I thought was going to be "free". KWIM :glare: I'm now wondering if I should spend $80 on one of the 3 book sets and just use it for both kids.

What would y'all do? Heather, any others??????

Thanks, guys,

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I am just now seeing this, did you make a decision? It sounds like you want to keep them together, and if you want to go that route I think DG would work, probalby better than BJ...mostly because I hear BJ can be on the advanced side, so it sound like a lot of supplements would be needed. To be honest I don't care for how in 1-6 BJU covers all 4 history topics instead of focusing on one, but I would love to do BJU 7, Life Science. I would do it next year while she was in 6th instead of Physical, but I hear that BJU 7 can be used for High School Life Science. Out goes that plan.

I tend to have two level of science going on in the house. I read aloud to all of the kids during Breakfast, and because all the kids are involved that is geared towards my younger kids. This year we will probably do the GD life cycle series after finishing Apologia Zoo 3. Then I have my oldest also doing Apologia General, which she can mostly do on her own. I have to just check her work now and then to keep her honest. If you really wanted to use the BJU maybe you could use it just as a reader, and have your main program be GD. Then you could do the labs, and such of GD with both.

Heather

Ladies, This curriculum says it is designed to be used all the way through 8th grade. Would you take it that far? Is it advanced enough for doing that? Or would you switch to something like Apologia General Science and all the other ones? At what point?

From the samples of the new edition, I would be comfortable using it with my 8th grader as long as we did the challenge work.

Has anyone seen it is in person yet?