Menu

What would you do about this baby shower group gift?

I'm helping with a baby shower and we are doing a group gift. The theory being that we can pool our money and buy a bigger item that people won't buy individually.

I'm in charge of the gift. We all agreed on one item that is $60. I went to get it 2 days ago and it was listed as limited availability and they didn't have any in the store. There wasn't anything within 5 bucks of the original amount.

I sent out an email yesterday morning to find out what the group wanted me to do.

1. Buy an $80 item

2. Buy several smaller things, which kind of negates the point of pooling our money.

3. Buy a gift card for the original amount and let her put it towards whatever she needs.

4. Buy a $50 item

No one has responded back to me. I don't have phone numbers, as I'm not friends, just aquaintances, with the other hostesses. We've planned this shower all by email.

The shower is tomorrow and I need to go TODAY to get a gift. What is appropriate?

ETA: *I* would pick the $80 item, which is $5 more per person. But, I don't want people to resent me spending more than what was agreed on.

Edited by snickelfritz

I'd send out another email saying, since you haven't received any reply to your previous email, your plan is to purchase the $80 gift (today!), which will add an additional $5 to everyone's cut. Either it will inspire responses, or everyone will be aware that their share is $5 more ahead of time.

I hate when people don't reply to email, especially time-sensitive ones. :glare:

I'd send out another email saying, since you haven't received any reply to your previous email, your plan is to purchase the $80 gift (today!), which will add an additional $5 to everyone's cut. Either it will inspire responses, or everyone will be aware that their share is $5 more ahead of time.

I wouldn't buy anything that would require more money because you might not get paid. I would get the gift card (forgot the amount) and be done with it. If they have not gotten back to you yet, they must not really care very much so just do what's easiest for you.

I'd get the gift card...and include a photo or description of the item, with info on how soon it will be available, so she can go get it IF she indeed wants it. otherwise she can get what she needs.

This is what I would do, unless I didn't mind being on the hook for the extra 20 bucks.

Laurel T.