Menu

Does anybody use Singapore Science?

iammommy

I used Singapore Science with my 4th grader last year and we will use it again this year for fifth grade.

Pros: It is short and sweet as far as the reading involved, but the experiments are in depth. The reviews and worksheets are challenging and involve critical thinking.

It has more experiments included in the program than any other science curriculum I have ever seen. I wouldn't recommend the curriculum if you don't plan to do the experiments. They are what make the program so strong, in my opinion.

Cons: Getting the materials needed for the experiments is not inexpensive and you have to piece them together, there is no pack to buy. I was able to find most of what we needed for grade 4, but some were hard to find. You would need to order from a science supply place, for an alcohol burner for example and test tubes, a balance scale with weights, etc...

For fifth grade, I have already made of list of required supplies and it includes a microscope, slides, mounting oil, test tubes, at least one Erlenmeyer flask and more.

I'm ok with this. I used to teach science and putting together my own kit doesn't bother me, but other people might find it overwhelming.

I bought the 5-6 level of the new edition. I haven't used it yet but I'm quite impressed with it. Covers just the right amount of information, lots of experiments, and the critical thinking questions are excellent. Very different from the typical US textbook, where every page is covered with highlights and lists and pointers telling you exactly what you need to memorize for the test. :rolleyes:

Jackie

There was a thread started on 5/5/09 by AJ at JA about Singapore Science. (I don't know how to link it, sorry!) I'm planning to use MPH 5/6 next year, so I found her post really informative and helpful. I'm hoping she shares her thoughts as she goes along.

I used Singapore Science with my 4th grader last year and we will use it again this year for fifth grade.

Heather,

Have you peeked ahead at the 7th & 8th grade series? I wonder if people who were not formerly science teachers (gee, that reminds me of Raspberry Beret, for some reason!) could use it effectively. I noticed that Interactive Science A has quite a bit of chemistry in it. We are very fortunate to have close friends who are chemists -- one teaches at the university. He often brings us in "to blow things up" so I wonder if an occasional visit to his lab would round out the book work well enough?

Or maybe someone else has used these books for older children?

Nicole

I have just peeked at the upper level series and I am just not sure what we will do when we get to that point. I love the way the experiments are given with the reading in the lower grades; they are almost daily. Really the student learns most of the information, I think, through the experiments.

We don't have access to a lab and I am not sure I can make THAT much of a lab investment. We are working with our local comm. college to get lab access, but who know whether that will ever be worked out!

I taught middle school science/math and my oldest, in particular, may head toward a science/math oriented career. I think he may pass me by the time he is in ninth grade, so I will probably have to outsource.

I am very interested in using Singapore Science with my oldest son based on the reviews I've seen OD Heather give of it. I decided to go with something else next year, but am hoping to do it the year after next (5th grade).

FWIW, I e-mailed Home Science Tools and mentioned to them that I was interested in the curricula, but that I heard gathering the materials needed was a little challenging. They e-mailed back thanking me for the suggestion & that they would look into it. I'm hoping they will put a kit together like they do for so many other curricula. :)