Menu

Survey of Middle Ages, Ren and Ref?

We did this as part of our hodge-podge of history studies last year, but it was well-received by ds. It is a small spine and would make a nice jumping off point for other things. The TM has additional project ideas.

You might also get some issues of Learning Through History magazine. These often have a literary study as well as several interesting topics.

Theres a TM for Rats, Bulls, & Flying Machines

...We did this as part of our hodge-podge of history studies last year, but it was well-received by ds. It is a small spine and would make a nice jumping off point for other things. The TM has additional project ideas.

I enjoyed this book too. We simply used the book but a Teacher's Manual would probably be great. (I had my daughter read it in 8th grade.)

Regards,

Kareni

I'm going to do an eight week class on the early Middle Ages for middle schoolers. I'm using a Milliken publication for my outline. It's called History of Civilization: The Middle Ages (ISBN: 0-7877-0390-7). They also offer books covering the Renaissance (which I have and it includes later MA things, too) and the Reformation.

I plan on trying to do power point pictures to go along with my talking time. I also tend to ask a lot of questions to get the students involved in the discussion.

Topics will be:

Intro: Creating the Middle Ages and End of the Roman Empire

Germanic Invasions; Eastern Empire Survives

Byzantine Empire and Barbarian West

Early Medieval Church and Monastic Life

Rise of the Franks, Charlemagne's Empire and its Division

The Vikings (I also own Hands-On Heritage, EduPress, Viking Act. Book ISBN 1 - 56472 - 169 - 8 which I'll use to add in things for that day)

Developing Feudal Order and Life in a Medieval Castle

Each week, they will receive 1-3 summary pages (from the Milliken book) which contain 1-5 short answer/essay type questions to answer (and one week has a map activity). I will ask that they review the sheets and complete these questions, then we'll go over them when they return to class the next week.

The eighth week, we'll do our final review and they'll take a short test (provided in the book), then we'll have a Medieval Feaste.

We'll be meeting for about 2 hours weekly. During a part of that time, they'll be making a chain mail wrist guard, and perhaps a couple of other simple things, such as rose water and rose petal perfume, herb flavored salts, etc. While they make these things, they'll listen to Medieval poetry and prose selections, ancient music, Gregorian Chant, etc.

I may also assign a larger project at the beginning of the class and we may come back for a Medieval Faire during a ninth or tenth week to allow them to dress, display projects, provide readings, perhaps put on a skit (Everyman?), etc.

The second half of the book I have covers these topics:

High Middles Ages (two parts)

Crusades (two parts)

Medieval Town Life

Great Cathedrals

Medieval Universities

Popular Christianity

Rising Church Power

Monarchy of England

Monarchy of France

Rise and Fall of Germany

and then another test

The Renaissance book covers:

Later MA

Black Death (two parts)

Map of the Black Death

Impact of the Black Death

New Trials for the Church

Hundred Years' War (two parts)

Challenges to England's Kings

France in the Later MA

Ferdinand and Isabella Unite Spain

15th Century Eastern Europe

Map of 15th Century Europe

Test 1

Early Renaissance

Italian City-States

Life in Renaissance Florence

Birth of Humanism

Prince and the Courtier

The World of Leonardo

Italian Renaissance Art, Part I

Map of Renaissance Italy

Italian Renaissance Art, Part II

Northern Renaissance

Home Life During the Renaissance

Printing Press

Europe Discovers the World

Test 2

I'm going to have my kids create a notebook of the handouts and their responses, tests, and anything else they want to include. I'm going to hand out stained glass coloring pages and some pages from knights and weaponry coloring books that I already own which identify parts of armour, different types of weapons in use, etc. I'll also probably do some sort of exercise with them identifying different parts of a castle.

I may create a vocab quiz covering this material, too.

I asked about doing a class like this just a few days ago, so you might find some ideas under that topic, too.