Menu

in laws popping in.....I need your best...

Well, I stopped cooking for my MIL years ago. She had a problem with everything. So if it went beyond cereal or sandwiches, we ate out.

Now that we are moving back near my FIL I'm sure he'll be over often. But since my MIL died back in Jan, he's less of a big deal. Of course if we feed him the wrong thing it'll kill him.

Maybe I ought to keep that eat out rule in place.

Chicken and rice casserole, mashed sweet potatoes or carrots, a garden salad, dinner rolls, and brownies. Or roast beef or turkey breast in the crockpot, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, French bread and an apple pie. Or mile-high shredded beef sandwiches, potato chips, cole slaw and strawberry shortcake with whipped cream.

ETA: And my 10 yo wants to add lasagna, Italian salad and garlic breadsticks. Finished with homemade New York cheesecake.

Edited by Asenik
I can't help myself!

Yep, the inlaws are coming in town for the weekend, we haven't seen them for a year. I need 5 awesome menu plans? Don't feel that you have to post the recipe, just give me your top dinner with all the yummy sides and deserts, and from this list- I am going to select my top 5 meals to make. HELP ME PLEASE!

Simple but delicious- Cornish game hens, wild rice, baked sweet potatoes.

Lasagne, salad, garlic bread.

Steak & potatoes, blanched asparagus.

Easy Garlic Chicken http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/A-Good-Easy-Garlic-Chicken/Detail.aspx but after you brown it, dump a can of chicken broth in there and let it simmer (covered) for about 20-25 minutes. After you remove the chicken, you can add flour to make a delicious gravy. Add mashed potatoes, a fresh green vegetable, wheat rolls, and a fresh fruit.

Roast dumped in crock pot with potatoes and carrots and an onion along with Lipton dry onion soup mix and some water. Cook all day and when you get home, make some rolls and a salad and everything is ready.

Olive Garden soup (3 cans minestrone soup, 2 cans ranch style beans, 1 lb browned hamburger, extra pasta right before you serve), garlic bread, salad, and fresh fruit.

Tortilla Soup http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Tortilla-Soup/Detail.aspx (This can be pretty spicy, so you may want to tone it down.)

Chicken pot pie and salad - If you make it with the store bought crusts, it turns out wonderful. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Pot-Pie-IX/Detail.aspx is my favorite recipe

Homemade pizza and salad!

My dad and his wife are coming next week. We'll be doing some things out of the house; my dad has health/dietary issues (heart attack), and I just really do not want to spend much time cooking or cleaning up. I've been writing down ideas, so I'll share:

bbq bratwurst, with bbq'd green peppers, onions

BLTs

BBQ sandwiches (the kind of BBQ that you buy in the store!)

chicken caesar salad, french bread, fruit

sub sandwiches (because we have a picnic/soccer night)

taco salad or make your own burritos or tacos

We will have more than just salad and sandwiches, lol. And I'll make pasta salad to go along with the sandwiches, and cut up some fruit. None of us are "big" meal eaters....

I try to keep things simple when I have guests. And, if there's a lot of them, I put them to work chopping vegetables and putting together a salad.

Crockpot lasagne with a big salad and garlic bread

Pulled pork sandwiches (done in the crockpot), cole slaw and a veggie tray

BBQ chicken on the grill, serve with potato salad and fruit kabobs

Grilled pork tenderloin and pasta salad with fresh vegetables

Roasted tomato or red pepper soup with chicken caeser sandwiches (recipe from Ina Garten on Food Network)

Let the guests treat you to dinner out :D

Dessert can be simple, too - ice cream, homemade cookies, fruit cups, strawberry shortcake. A pan of brownies makes everyone smile, too.

I like to make roast out of the Crockpot For Company cookbook. It's basically any roast with some sweet stuff...including things like smoke flavoring, brown sugar (I add some agave) and more...then you can put some really yummy veggies in/on it, too. I like green beans sizzled in butter. The original recipe calls for Spinach and julienned carrots and mushrooms to be added on top till tender.

I also like chicken put on the night before, with barbeque sauce.... served on buns with veggies and/or salad.

We like Reuben sandwiches, too. Easy if you have a pancake griddle:-)

For dessert, I love strawberry rhubarb fruit crisp or apple fruit crisp...serverd with Vanilla ice cream:-)

Carrie:-)

Carrie:-)