Menu

Verizon FIOS -- Opinions, anyone?

We're considering making a switch from cable to Verizon FIOS, which would include phone service (which we already have,) plus our cable and internet services.

Does anyone have FIOS? Do you like it? I noticed that they offer two different internet connection speeds; I'm assuming I should choose the faster one, right?

We have been thinking about changing to FIOS for a while, but if there's a downside to it, I'd like to know before we sign up, because they have a fairly hefty penalty for early cancellation.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Cat

We just got it 2 days ago. I like the free on-demand kid shows (Disney, Nick, etc). They keep the kids happy while I try to unpack boxes!:D There are lots of HD channels also, which dh loves.

We've been a bit disappointed in the internet. It's supposed to be super fast, but it's not any faster than the cable connection we had previously.:glare:

We didn't sign up for phone because we are cell phone only folks.

HTH!

We have bundled FIOS TV (basic -- no premium movie channels), landline, and Internet services. We have 100 Mbps connection rate, which is not the fastest available. I don't know why we would want anything faster, frankly.

We are happy with all of our Verizon services -- (Separately, we also have Verizon wireless phone service.) -- including the price paid. Our landline service allows us to call anywhere in the contiguous U.S., as well as Canada, at any time of day/night, at flat rate. LOVE IT ! (I have a friend in Montreal, so I can call her any time for same cost as if she lived across the street !)

We're considering making a switch from cable to Verizon FIOS, which would include phone service (which we already have,) plus our cable and internet services.

Does anyone have FIOS? Do you like it? I noticed that they offer two different internet connection speeds; I'm assuming I should choose the faster one, right?

We have been thinking about changing to FIOS for a while, but if there's a downside to it, I'd like to know before we sign up, because they have a fairly hefty penalty for early cancellation.

Thanks! :001_smile:

Cat

hmm... we have FIOS triple, internet, phone & tv. Its ok. THe interent is NOT faster at all. The tv is ok, they seem to change the locations of channels a lot. However the customer service is awful. When we move, we will NOT take them with us....

I wonder whether part of the country affects customer service. We have had nothing but good customer service from Verizon for several years. Otherwise, we would not stay with them.

This is a "little thing" to do, but if one daily cleans the computer cache, and also deletes temporary files, Internet performance speeds up. We use the free downloaded program CCleaner for this purpose.

hmm... we have FIOS triple, internet, phone & tv. Its ok. THe interent is NOT faster at all. The tv is ok, they seem to change the locations of channels a lot. However the customer service is awful. When we move, we will NOT take them with us....

Thanks for the input! It sounds like there are both pros and cons to FIOS, so hopefully more people will chime in with their experiences.

The worst thing about this is that there's a 2 year commitment. I hate that! :glare: I might be able to negotiate it down to a year, but it's such a nuisance to have to "make deals."

Cat

Not sure which part of the country you're in, but I'm in VA, and although we could get FIOS now we've decided to stay with our Directv, Cox cable internet and Vonage for phone. We had verizon for our land line before fios and the customer service was HORRIBLE. They couldn't keep our landline working for more than 3 days at a time and when we'd call yet again they would tell us "The problem is that a main line out on the street needs to be replaced, but we don't have time to find it and replace it. So if it goes out again keep calling us and we'll eventually get to it" We liked our Cox internet but hated the cable tv, so we made a switch to directv and then got Vonage for phone. We love, love, love our Vonage phone, no problems and free long distance to US, Canada, and a few countries in Europe although we never call outside the US. I've seen those with FIOS internet and it's no faster than our cable internet.

Just my .02

hate the nightmare of billing issues, etc. It took months of calling each month about the bill to get the billing problems solved. The people seemed nice and helpful, I think it was software issues. Also... when there are hardware problems no one comes out to fix anything. They send you everything by UPS and expect you to do it all yourself. We went through 3 DVR boxes recently and no help from them other than on the phone.

Have to clarify...

Prior to the FiOS tv/phone/internet, we had:

Verizon phone- pretty sure it was already the pay-one-price long distance, but I don't remember

Verizon DSL internet- OK fast, but not FiOS/cable fast, so either Comcast or FiOS would have been an improvement in speed

Comcast non-digital cable- this was the one that drove me nuts. When they first started offering digital, it was over $60 a month which seemed obscenely high at the time, especially as ours was under $45; furthermore, it didn't offer any channels we really cared about. But over 7 years' time, ours went up about 10% a year, and they kept moving the regular channels to digital. We would have switched at that point, but digital was still more than 50% more than what we were paying, which we already thought was too much.

(In hindsight, I think that Comcast was trying to entice people to switch to digital rather than have to force them once the analog-to-digital switch came to pass. Still, it didn't win them any friends in my neighborhood, at least.)

So by switching to the FiOS all-3 service, we are now getting phone, cable, and internet for about what any two of those used to cost us. And it has all the channels and the cool on-screen menu that we would have had with Comcast without having to deal with Comcast.

Only thing I'm not crazy about is the layout of their bill- we haven't had a lot of billing errors, but the format is almost indecipherable so if the amount billed is different from our normal amount, we have to go through pages and pages with a fine-tooth comb to find the difference.

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm beginning to think we should stick with cable for everything, instead of switching to FIOS.

FIOS is cheaper, but it sounds like there's a nuisance factor with Verizon that we're not getting with the cable company. (And now that I've bragged about it, I have probably jinxed myself and our cable will stop working in about 20 minutes... ;) )

Cat