Menu

Famous Men of Greece and Rome....

My dd got interested in the FM books in her LC1 class last year (2nd). They retold the stories, shortening them a bit. After I bought the books, she took to reading them herself. Now she reads FMMA for herself (3rd). I don't know if she would have liked them as well in K5 or 1st, honestly. Have you looked at the free online samples? That would give you a feel for them. If you don't get to them now, during your history studies, you could hit them again in a couple years when you introduce latin. Just a thought.

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=haaren&book=greece&story=_contents

That may help you decide if it's a good fit at this time or not. Both the Greenleaf version and Memoria Press version of Famous Men of Greece/Rome have been edited in order to update the language. Based on a very brief comparison, the Memoria Press version seems more edited/updated to me.

Ds11 is reading FMoG independently this year (5th gr.), and it's just right. I think it would probably work as a read-aloud for younger grades, perhaps as young as 3rd or 4th, as well as independent reading for 5th-7th or 8th. The reading level isn't so difficult, but they do cover a lot of characters in a short space. If it's a younger child's first exposure to key figures in ancient Greece, he might have a harder time remembering them. I'm saving it for dd8 to read later.

HTH!

I owned FMoG for a couple of years before reading or using it; I just had a hard time getting into it (I'm personally not extremely interested in the ancient Greeks). I finally just gave it ds11 to start reading a few months ago, and he's really enjoying the stories! He definitely enjoys them more than me!

A better book for young children, covering more or less the same period of Roman History is Baldwin's 50 Famous Stories re-told--also at Main lesson.com.

These are great read-alouds--as well as books a child with some reading ability to look at. I read them aloud because my youngest wasn't reading yet--and they're very short!

Don't forget D'Aulaire's books too.

Having practically memorized those, the FM series will catch their attention when they have heard the names before. After that series we go into the Gueber/Miller books. I will admit that the Greek one is my least favorite and we do have and read so many other books about the Greeks...but I read it anyway. :)

will help a child in reading Famous Men of Greece and Rome?

The reason I asked is my older son is doing Latina Christiana I this year. Since it has the questions for Famous Men of Greece and Rome, it has gotten him interested in reading the book. I was thinking over the summer of letting him reading the book. Famous Men of Greece and Rome is on the Baldwin Project's website too.

I figured that I would just have him read it there.

He will be in 5th grade and starting logic stage. So, he may fall right in that place.

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

will help a child in reading Famous Men of Greece and Rome?

The reason I asked is my older son is doing Latina Christiana I this year. Since it has the questions for Famous Men of Greece and Rome, it has gotten him interested in reading the book. I was thinking over the summer of letting him reading the book. Famous Men of Greece and Rome is on the Baldwin Project's website too.

I figured that I would just have him read it there.

He will be in 5th grade and starting logic stage. So, he may fall right in that place.

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

That's a good idea. Baldwin's Stories are also available on audio as well.