Menu

Has anyone used Teacher's Quest Guides to Aristole Leads the Way by Hakim?

Capt_Uhura

Aaurgh ! Get thee behind me, o tempter of my wallet !

I bought the three-book series as soon as each volume was published. My undergraduate work was in the history of science, so I'm a sitting duck sucker for such books !

I didn't know, until reading this thread, that the study guides now were available.

What age(s) are you all thinking would profit from these books and, by extension, the guides?

I just glanced again at the "Aristotle" volume and decided that it still would be a frustrating stretch for my rising 5th grader (turned 10 in March) because she is weak in math.

Instead, for her grade 5 work on ancient history, I think I'll use the Franklin Watts (a division of Grolier) series. specifically, the volumes for Science in Ancient. . . China; Egypt; Mesopotamia; Greece; and Rome.

If time permits, I'll also use Jeanne Bendick's book,Archimedes and the Door of Science.

Does anyone know whether Mrs. Hakim hopes to write the additional history of science books -- covering the life sciences -- which she spoke of several years ago?

Oh, Orthodox 6, you are one to talk. You mean there is a whole series on science in the ancient cultures? And I don't own it!:drool: Anyway, the teacher's guide and lesson plan are on Hakim's website http://www.joyhakim.com/PDF/ALTW_TQG_II.pdf

I think you can purchase the materials on the Smithsonian site and I don't think they were cheap.

I'll be using the first book with my 6th grader, primarily as a read-aloud.

If time permits, I'll also use Jeanne Bendick's book,Archimedes and the Door of Science.

I read this as a *preview* years back (what I plan ahead :D) and I loved it!

It is in my must read pile.

Bill (who is doing a :lurk5: for this thread)

The subject looks fascinating, but I have a hard time reading Joy Hakim without wanting to "re-write" her.

You can get Aristotle Leads the Way Teacher's Guide and Student Guide through Amazon as well for free shipping! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1588342514/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

I had thought the age range was middle school for Aristotle. I have a 4th grader who loves science. I was thinking of this more for me for now. I didn't get a feel for how much math is in it from the previews I saw. The new teacher's guide for the 3rd book seems more high school.

OK I Found this in Aristotle Guide:

The lessons in this guide meet the National Science Education Standards, grades 5 – 8, and Bench- marks for Science Literacy, grades 6 – 8.

Has anyone held these in their grubby little hands? Pretty please?

Swimmer - we love science and are always dabling in things. I like doing some science along w/ our history and was attempting to have the 2 go hand in hand. We're coming up on the Ancient Greeks now.

I have Archimedes and the Door of Science on deck as well.

So many cool things to learn....so little time.....

I didnt realise there was a TM or student guide either. I have the first two of the books in the series, and my kids really disliked them.

I am wondering how people use them- for middle school science? Theyre obviously not a science program. Adding a TM and student guide would make them even more time consuming and I cant imagine fitting that in to an already tight schedule.

I suspect these books might be best used simply as read alouds or independent reading for kids (or adults) who are drawn in by that type of info. My kids werent, and I dont like to push too hard on books they dont like unless they are central to what we are doing, since there are so many books to read that they will like. Just thought I would mention it because that TM is awfully expensive (but my curriculum addiction is aroused nevertheless.)

Thanks for the posts with links to the sample extract download PDF files ! No way that I shall pay $39.00 (think that was the price) for the TM. At first glance, the guides look like "public school busywork", and dependent on class group activities. I admit that I scanned the files quickly.

At any rate, should anyone be interested in this series, labeled for grades 4-6, here is a link to one of the series volumes:

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Ancient-Greece-Look-What/dp/0531159299/ref=pd_sim_b_1

As you read reviews of the various volumes, some people are disgruntled because the currently-available books are either abridged from, or rewritten to be brief in comparison with, an out-of-print series also from Franklin Watts. For my home purposes, I find these books just what I want to provide tantalizing overviews, springboards from which a child can explore further the topics of his or her choice. (Or, given the reality that students don't always love what their parents do -- ! -- the child has received a useful exposure with minimal "pain" !)

For later time periods, there is a book on science in Islamic culture, on science during U.S. colonial period, and even more, I think (but don't remember.)

I'm planning for next year now. If I use the series volumes for Mesopotamia, China, Egypt, Greece, and Rome, I shall have 31 chapters total -- one per week. Then add the Bendick book on top, and I have a year of middle school history of science and technology, ancient history time period !

Spy Car - would you mind elaborating on the "rewrite" thought? I suspect we might be on the same page...

Meaning, it is hard for me to get though a sentence of hers (or sometimes a clause) without pausing and wishing I could restate what she is saying.

I like the idea of making material "accessible" to children, but Hakim IMO often adopts a "patronizing" tone, and reaches for odd colloquialisms. "Aristotle was another 'brainy' Greek perhaps the brainiest

of them all"?

Her prose is inelegant. And verbose. instead of one well-chosen word, she meanders.

I've tried many times to "preview" the American History series, but each time I get a head-ache.

And I want to like her books. What's the alternative? She just desperately needs a firm-handed editor to help render these works into appealing English. The ideas are good, the goals highly laudable, the prose? For me it is near torture.

Hakim's writing makes me seasick. Maybe Bill feels the same :)

I agree. If I could just rewrite the whole book - it would be great!

Is "sea-sick" kind of like "water-boarding"? :tongue_smilie:

If you re-write these can you send me a copy? :D

Bill (was I too harsh?)

Thanks Bill and Mam Lynx. I thought maybe it was just me. I really, really wanted to use the Aristotle book this year, but I just couldn't read it. And I've tried to read the US History books, but I had a hard time with those as well. Glad to know it's not just me!

Another agreement with the assessment is "not harsh". Her American history books sometimes are gaggingly "PC". The history of science texts, however, are the first thing which I ever found for upper middle grades and lower high school. Until somebody else writes history of science and technology narrative histories for that age span, Hakim is "what there is" and, despite the flaws, does provide a "spine text" for families which wish to study these topics without a religious flavor. (We add our own "religious flavor", since no Orthodox curricula exist, apart from a couple of lower elementary grades history products.)

Jumping OT to American history, I found an enjoyable, left-wing, short 2-volume U.S. history set by Howard Zinn, adapted for middle school level. My ds enjoyed it. Gave me the opportunity to teach him that no history narrative can be written completely free from sort of bias or "slant". (Objective lists of dates don't count as narrative !) Also provided the "lesson" that history better can be studied while reading assorted viewpoints.

Another agreement with the assessment is "not harsh". Her American history books sometimes are gaggingly "PC". The history of science texts, however, are the first thing which I ever found for upper middle grades and lower high school. Until somebody else writes history of science and technology narrative histories for that age span, Hakim is "what there is" and, despite the flaws, does provide a "spine text" for families which wish to study these topics without a religious flavor. (We add our own "religious flavor", since no Orthodox curricula exist, apart from a couple of lower elementary grades history products.)

My objection to Hakim is not "the slant" it's the literary style (or lack there-of). As you say her books are the best things out there (that I'm aware of anyway) but this makes the situation doubly annoying to me.

Jumping OT to American history, I found an enjoyable, left-wing, short 2-volume U.S. history set by Howard Zinn, adapted for middle school level. My ds enjoyed it. Gave me the opportunity to teach him that no history narrative can be written completely free from sort of bias or "slant". (Objective lists of dates don't count as narrative !) Also provided the "lesson" that history better can be studied while reading assorted viewpoints.

I'll need to look at Zinn's young persons book. I read his "People's History" years back and enjoyed it immensely. But I understood his Marxian world-view and balance his ideas against my own. This is more difficult for children.

Personally I'd like a story of our nation that was neither hagiography, nor unrelentingly criticism. A smartly written work that brings out this nations strengths, but doesn't gross over our failings. And isn't aimed at converting children to an author's "world-view". I'm dreaming :D

Bill

This thread is too good to read without the cup of coffee I was not going to have today.

I agree that the assessment of Hakim's writing style is fair. "Sea-sick" is an apt description. Whenever I finish a volume of A History of US with the dc, I experience the same rattling in my head that occurs when all three dc talk to me simultaneously while I am cooking at the stove with the fan on.

However, as Bill pointed out

As you say her books are the best things out there (that I'm aware of anyway) but this makes the situation doubly annoying to me.

I did not like science in high school even though I took three years of it. Homeschooling changed that in a hurry. (Aaaagh! Mom is getting out the lab equipment...again!) Now I can't get enough of it. The Joy of Science is the best resource I have found so far for our study of Ancient times. I guess I am looking at it as a jumping off point for rabbit trails. I will be using it with some Living Math books also.

Oh rats! My coffee's cold.

This thread is too good to read without the cup of coffee I was not going to have today.

I agree that the assessment of Hakim's writing style is fair. "Sea-sick" is an apt description. Whenever I finish a volume of A History of US with the dc, I experience the same rattling in my head that occurs when all three dc talk to me simultaneously while I am cooking at the stove with the fan on.

However, as Bill pointed out

I did not like science in high school even though I took three years of it. Homeschooling changed that in a hurry. (Aaaagh! Mom is getting out the lab equipment...again!) Now I can't get enough of it. The Joy of Science is the best resource I have found so far for our study of Ancient times. I guess I am looking at it as a jumping off point for rabbit trails. I will be using it with some Living Math books also.

Oh rats! My coffee's cold.

So you're saying stock up on coffee and aspirin? :D

Because you know what. If I had to start science tomorrow I'd probably choose The Joy of Science too.

Honestly, it's exactly the sort of work I've hoped for. Minus the "writing issues".

Bill (who just warmed up his pot of joe)

Hey Bill,

Thanks for our "Word of the Day". I made the boys go look up "hagiography". I mean why should I leave my computer and my coffee when my dc could be the beneficiaries of my...umm...laziness and ignorance.

Oh, youngest ds just informed me that if I didn't know what the word meant, I could have looked it up on the computer. Rats, again!

Another agreement with the assessment is "not harsh". Her American history books sometimes are gaggingly "PC". The history of science texts, however, are the first thing which I ever found for upper middle grades and lower high school. Until somebody else writes history of science and technology narrative histories for that age span, Hakim is "what there is" and, despite the flaws, does provide a "spine text" for families which wish to study these topics without a religious flavor.

Refreshing to hear these viewpoints. I started with Hakim's first book of US History and put it down immediately. I didn't like her "tone" for some reason. PC, patronizing, and biased. (I know, I've been here before...history books are all biased. Sigh) I have an ideal in mind and I'm not going to find it. It lies somewhere between Hakim and Zinn. And I think it's published in another country besides the U.S. ;)

Meanwhile, we have Aristotle... and I really like it. Haven't noticed the sea sick part of it yet, but we are wandering in the book a bit and not studying from start to finish. Yet. Perhaps verbose is okay with me because I have that same tendency! I'm considering the guidebook, but can do without the teachers guide. I agree that it is formulated for a public school classroom.

Love the honest feedback from both ends of the spectrum here!

Refreshing to hear these viewpoints. I started with Hakim's first book of US History and put it down immediately. I didn't like her "tone" for some reason. PC, patronizing, and biased. (I know, I've been here before...history books are all biased. Sigh) I have an ideal in mind and I'm not going to find it. It lies somewhere between Hakim and Zinn. And I think it's published in another country besides the U.S. ;)

Meanwhile, we have Aristotle... and I really like it. Haven't noticed the sea sick part of it yet, but we are wandering in the book a bit and not studying from start to finish. Yet. Perhaps verbose is okay with me because I have that same tendency! I'm considering the guidebook, but can do without the teachers guide. I agree that it is formulated for a public school classroom.

Love the honest feedback from both ends of the spectrum here!

Curiously, I was pointed to Ray Notgrass's American history text for high school as an example of something I would really not like.

And while I am miles apart from Mr Notgrass (understatement) in terms of "world-view" I quickly came to admire his writing, and a good deal of the history he put forward and his presentation of information in the samples. If I'd had the whole book I would have plowed on.

The writing was crisp and informative. I was surprised.

Bill

I think the word "hagiography" was used in a very stretched sense. :) The lives of St. Innocent of Alaska, St. Herman of Alaska, St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco, and other saints don't turn up in U.S. history textbooks -- and that is the strict use of "hagiography" for me !

(Having fun with you all, so please 'scuse !)

As this is the K-8 board, I guess I can't recommend the old, fuddy-duddy textbook which my second son used for his high school American history text -- The Growth of the American Republic by Morison, et al. (both volumes)

Not having heard of The Joy of Science, I'm off to find out what it is !

I think the word "hagiography" was used in a very stretched sense. :) The lives of St. Innocent of Alaska, St. Herman of Alaska, St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco, and other saints don't turn up in U.S. history textbooks -- and that is the strict use of "hagiography" for me !

(Having fun with you all, so please 'scuse !)

I'll grant you that I used the term in the modern "secondary" sense of the term, referring to biographies or stories that paint their their protagonists in an unrealistically flattering light.

And as someone who gets bent about the "mis-use" of terms such as "myth" in modern parlance, I'll have to defend your right to "call me out" on my usage here :D

Bill (a "curmudgeon", except when he's not :tongue_smilie:)

As this is the K-8 board, I guess I can't recommend the old, fuddy-duddy textbook which my second son used for his high school American history text -- The Growth of the American Republic by Morison, et al. (both volumes)

The Samuel Elliot Morrison work you mention is outstanding.

Another great series (that you might have to look for used in hardcover) is Page Smith's A Peoples History of the United States. Top notch! Lot's of social history, well written. Engaging. No ideological axes to grind. Is it out-of-print? Maybe.

Bill

And while I am miles apart from Mr Notgrass (understatement) in terms of "world-view" I quickly came to admire his writing, and a good deal of the history he put forward and his presentation of information in the samples. If I'd had the whole book I would have plowed on.

Bill

:ohmy: <------This was as close as I could get to an emoticon with my jaw dropping down to my chest.

Humor aside, since I respect your opinion (you are Empress Bee, Bill) I took a look. I would have to agree that I like the writing, too. I also appreciate the amount of source documents used. I'm in disagreement with most history texts that are obvious in the idea that the U.S. is God ordained and approved. Notgrass goes down this road more than Hakim, I'm afraid. Albeit in a better to understand way! Then again, there are things in Zinn I don't agree with. Sigh. As pointed out to me in one history thread I started, bias is everywhere. No such thing as an unbiased history book. If I wrote my OWN history book, I'd be biased. And probably harder to understand than Hakim!

Thanks for pointing out Notgrass, however. Good for me to look it over and rethink a bit.

I don't mind Hakim- we enjoyed some of the US books last year. But I may be completely tasteless.;)

We are using these books next year, along with a Thames and Kosmos kit on ancient scientific discoveries, and Archimdes and the Door, and some other scientific biographies. I would LOVE to find the Science in Ancient_____ series, if anyone knows where. Amazon yielded only the much-maligned picture series of the same name.

I read somewhere (but cannot remember where!!) that the TM that goes with the Hakim science books is geared for ps classrooms and basically useless. I didn't buy it, so I really don't know. I do know the description has lists of "learning objectives" tied to ps standards and whatnot, which is totally unhelpful and unnecessary info for hs'ers.

ANy other books to recommend for studying ancient science, let me have 'em!

:ohmy: <------This was as close as I could get to an emoticon with my jaw dropping down to my chest.

Humor aside, since I respect your opinion (you are Empress Bee, Bill) I took a look. I would have to agree that I like the writing, too. I also appreciate the amount of source documents used. I'm in disagreement with most history texts that are obvious in the idea that the U.S. is God ordained and approved. Notgrass goes down this road more than Hakim, I'm afraid. Albeit in a better to understand way! Then again, there are things in Zinn I don't agree with. Sigh. As pointed out to me in one history thread I started, bias is everywhere. No such thing as an unbiased history book. If I wrote my OWN history book, I'd be biased. And probably harder to understand than Hakim!

Thanks for pointing out Notgrass, however. Good for me to look it over and rethink a bit.

I don't want to spread the wrong story, but I was told there were some strange things in his book about slaves in the opening of the section on the Civil War thanking God for their enslavement because it brought them to Christ. I did not see this. I may have muddled the details.

I read the samples expecting to strongly dislike this book. Instead the samples impressed me (taken with a grain of salt, and with a pretty fair education in American history).

Bill

I was the one to post the Amazon link to one book of the Franklin Watts series. The disparagement came from others, not from me ! I have the Islamic science book in my lap as I type this. The book includes photographs, reproductions of paintings, maps, and of documents, a practical application of trigonometry, instructions for building an astrolabe, , and a simple experiment demonstrating the refraction of light, something explained by Ibn al-Haytham. All this with supporting text. It is not a "science course", but a "book for learning". I won't knock a book for containing well-selected illustrations. (I'm not saying that you did that, Camibami.) I can't run around the world to all of the pertinent museum exhibits, so a good book is invaluable !

We are using these books next year, along with a Thames and Kosmos kit on ancient scientific discoveries, and Archimdes and the Door, and some other scientific biographies. I would LOVE to find the Science in Ancient_____ series, if anyone knows where. Amazon yielded only the much-maligned picture series of the same name.

ANy other books to recommend for studying ancient science, let me have 'em!

Orthodox6, are these the books you referenced in your post?

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Ancient-China-Past/dp/0531159140/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242947192&sr=1-1

If they have simple experiments, that is great! The review of the Egyptian one was particularly distressing to me. But are these even the same books you mean?

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Science-Time-Traveling-World-Exploring-History-Making/product-reviews/0471215953/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This one looks interesting, too.But maybe overkill with the science kit I already have. I do love me some overkill, though.:lol:

Interesting discussion. I learned of some new resources in American History today I haven't heard of.

I am one who likes the sample of Aristotle Leads the Way (and I enjoy Charlotte Mason's books, Ivanhoe, and Pride and Prejudice :D). Granted, it's not written to women who are 32 years of age, but to middle schoolers ;)

You may want to keep that in mind. I would have loved it as a middle schooler.

Hi, again. The Science in Ancient China is one of the series I have been writing about. The second book for which you provided a link is unknown to me.

I'm worried lest I have misled anyone about this series. I have not read them in some years. I pulled them from our shelves as part of preparing for dd's 5th grade program. They may be riddled with errors which I would not notice until using them again ! As with the on-thread discussion of the Hakim history of science texts, these books are a rare "plug" for the gap in books on these topics for grades 4-6. Crafts and projects for ancient Egypt are a dime-a-dozen. Elementary school level info on science and technology for ancient China and Mesopotamia are not "everyday Internet fare" !

As you posted about the crafts-type book, here is a link to what I bought a couple of months ago: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Ancient-Egypt-Projects-Yourself/dp/1417768134/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242948896&sr=1-15

We bought this just for fun -- We had not yet decided, as we since have done, to follow the "4-year history cycle" for grades 5-8. (I'm a spineless WTM heretic, and follow the same high school curricular model which stood me in such good stead 2,000 years ago.) My dd (10 yrs) made the Wesekh necklace (praised by the first reviewer on the Amazon page) using beautiful, tumbled rock beads, rather than the plastic beads suggested in the book. Her necklace is a true work of lovely, wearable art !

SWIMMERMOM3 -- Is this one of the series you checked out? http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Mesopotamia-Sumerians-Babylonians-Assyrians/dp/0531167410/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242949305&sr=1-1

It looks, at first glance at the ad, like something I shall want to investigate. Thank you for mentioning it ! Do you like them ? (acid test: do your children ?! :D )

Orthodox6, are these the books you referenced in your post?

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Ancient-China-Past/dp/0531159140/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242947192&sr=1-1

If they have simple experiments, that is great! The review of the Egyptian one was particularly distressing to me. But are these even the same books you mean?

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Science-Time-Traveling-World-Exploring-History-Making/product-reviews/0471215953/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This one looks interesting, too.But maybe overkill with the science kit I already have. I do love me some overkill, though.:lol:

Orthodox6,

Those are the books I have at home and am previewing. Now just to make it more complicated, when I requested Ancient Mesopotamia at the library, they sent me the book on your link and this one http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=3373996 I like the look of this one, too.

Oh yeah, the acid test. Since I am looking at these for next year and ds (11) is bored, I had him read a couple of chapters of Ancient Mesopotamia. He thinks they will work well. Of course I paid him to preview them so draw your own conclusions.

Now, since we've strayed, where are these bad reviews on your science series? Doesn't Winterpromise use some of these? Could be wrong. It happens often. I think I will see if the library has them. It may be overkill with The Joy of Science. Do they have experiments?

Curiously, I was pointed to Ray Notgrass's American history text for high school as an example of something I would really not like.

Bill

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

I don't want to spread the wrong story, but I was told there were some strange things in his book about slaves in the opening of the section on the Civil War thanking God for their enslavement because it brought them to Christ. I did not see this. I may have muddled the details.

I read the samples expecting to strongly dislike this book. Instead the samples impressed me (taken with a grain of salt, and with a pretty fair education in American history).

Bill

Interesting. It could be that the samples pages have been changed since I saw them a few years back, but I do remember the slave poems.

I did love the clean look of the book. I was too thrown off by the bias to appreciate the writing. I wish there were a "crispily" (?) written book with clean presentation that looked like Notgrass but leaned in a direction I could find more palatable. I'll have to check out the others mentioned in this thread.

For the record, the layout of the pages in Hakim's books gives me a headache, so I haven't been able to read her, either. The simple things that get in my way!