Menu

Need a dog sitter on short notice

I had our usual dog sitter lined up for the homeschool conference (we leave tomorrow!) but she called earlier that her mother died today! I feel really bad now that I was in the middle of cleaning ds's room and didn't answer the phone!

I called a kennel, they have space but since it is a holiday weekend, they only have the $33 runs left and we'd have to leave them for 2 days we don't need. So suddenly $300 to kennel the dogs.

I called one friend who has a 17/18 yo who could watch them, but I had to leave a message. Do I call someone else or wait until they call back?

Our vet has a dog boarding business at the vet's office. Does yours? Is there a neighbor (perhaps a responsible teen or tween) who could feed and walk your dog even from your home?

Our vet has a housecall practice out of her home. I don't think she'd take our 2 dogs and cat back to her place. (She does surgery elsewhere. And contracts for emergency vet service.)

I had our usual dog sitter lined up for the homeschool conference (we leave tomorrow!) but she called earlier that her mother died today! I feel really bad now that I was in the middle of cleaning ds's room and didn't answer the phone!

I called a kennel, they have space but since it is a holiday weekend, they only have the $33 runs left and we'd have to leave them for 2 days we don't need. So suddenly $300 to kennel the dogs.

I called one friend who has a 17/18 yo who could watch them, but I had to leave a message. Do I call someone else or wait until they call back?

I'd call anybody you can think of who you would trust to be with your dogs and in your home. On short notice, I think you'd be better off calling as many people as you can think of in order to increase your chances of finding somebody.

I just had another thought. Does your usual sitter have anybody that she would recommend?

I'm in the middle of a three week dogsitting trip for some relatives. They had a terrible dog sitting experience in the fall and were having trouble finding someone to be here for such a long time. Given the flexibility of our schedule, I was glad to be able to help them out in this way.

Good luck finding someone.:001_smile:

On this short notice I would call everyone rather than waste time waiting for the friend to call you back. If they don't return your call until tonight and then are unable or willing to do it you will be out of time on finding someone else. Do you have any neighborhood teens you can trust who might want to make a little money?

I avoid kennels, due to past experience they aren't even an option for us. If we can't take the dogs or can't find someone we trust then we just don't go.