Menu

BJU dvd courses

mazakaal

I've heard some good things about these on the boards lately. So what kind of students have you found that it works well for?

My 7th grader is a very resistent learner. He doesn't want to put any effort into schoolwork and I am thus having to spend a lot of time handholding. I'm on the verge of going insane. I had expected him to be more independent by the time that I needed to spend more time with my younger kids, and so far it hasn't worked out that way. We tried SOS and it was a complete flop. So would these be a complete waste of money for us too?

I've been trying to analyze his learning style and I think he's concrete random, global, auditory and kinesthetic. I know the dvd's won't cater to his kinesthetic tendancies, but he's mostly auditory, so I thought it might work. Any thoughts?

ETA: After looking at the samples and seeing some people's responses, I'm seriously considering holding ds back in 7th grade BJU next year (when he should be entering 8th grade). If I do this, will I be able to 'make up time' later and still have him graduate on time? Or would this decision lock me into keeping him in school for an extra year, thus graduating at 19yo instead of 18? If I were to switch away from BJU after next year, would he be prepared to enter hs level work after having completed BJU 7th? Or if I were to stick with BJU, would I be able to skip BJU 8th and go right into BJU 9th? Or if I were to stick with BJU, could I squeeze 5 years of schoolwork (BJU 8th-12th) into 4 years if he works year round?

I know that I'm thinking far in the future. And maybe there isn't even a good answer to these questions. I know that, obviously, a lot would depend on ds. And I'm not completely opposed to having him graduate a year late. I just want to know what I'm getting myself (and ds) into if I hold him back in 7th next year. I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts you have.

Edited by MeganP
new question

We did BJU HomeSat for 1 semester (very similar to their dvd's). I was thinking the same as you...that it would free up my time, make my boys more independant. Well, NO! It was more trouble than it was worth. I found BJU to be a lot of busy work. My oldest was not that interested or excited about school either and this did NOT help!

So where did we go from there? For "my" son (not saying this is your ds), but it was a laziness issue and a discipline problem. He wasn't "in the game". That's our term around here when I can tell he's not giving me his all. It was 2 years ago we tried HomeSat and school is a whole lot better. He's much more independant, but it's taken some time. He's finishing up his 8th grade year and actually "cares" about his grades!

At the beginning of this year I had to read to him his Apologia General Science (he does struggle w/ comprehension) and now he reads it all on his own and I just go over the study guide and then he takes his test.

BTW, I'm hsing 4 too! My boys are 14, 12, 8 &5. Combining them as much as possible has really helped w/ the time issue too!

Sooo, my answer would be....be careful!! I see you use MOH. Have you ever looked into WP? That's what's done it for us! Not that "one" curriculum is the end-all answer, but there are programs that fit better than others. Has he used SL? How did that go?

We used grade 3 dvd's this year. We were in the middle of a big move to another state, had things in storage for 4 years to weed through and unpack, were away for 6 weeks mid-year, and so on. So, for this year, it was the perfect solution for us! My dd's really loved it and asked to do it again. One of them cried on her last day of English because she said she'd miss the teacher. I really loved the Bible curriculum. They loved their teachers even though some of them had little quirks that sort of bugged me. My kids couldn't see the quirks.

Here are the cons that I saw:

There is a bit of fluff. but, my kids like the fluff like the cheesy character puppets that come in and chat with the teacher.

I missed our SL so have added that back in.

It is a longggg day (think they are in school all day just as if they went to a school).

I think my daughters need hand holding in math. They didn't get enough with the teacher alone. I'd have to sit and work with them after math class. Math is not their strength though and I am sure this is not true for others.

You really have to watch the mom's minutes for all of the classes and check their work. I didn't do this almost all year. We had a very, very busy year. As life settled down and I began to watch classes with them and check their work from the year, I found that they had skipped things, had things wrong (I had asked them to check their work with the TM and come to me if they needed help), and really didn't get some concepts well.

So, I think if your son needs hand holding, you'd really need to be checking each class and walking him through any trouble spots each day and it will take more of your time than you think. But, at least while he watches the teacher you can be helping the younger ones. That has been great for me. I just did the older ones a disservice by not overseeing them more at least at some time each day.

I think my kids got more out of it than they would have gotten from me this year. But I think we may try to go back to our hodge podge of WTM/SL/whatnot next year. I am still debating! If I owned it once we were done, I'd be more tempted to do it again.

It is not intended to *replace you* as the teacher, but rather to help you out. You will still have to be involved, grade papers, and supervise to make sure it is actually getting done.

:iagree: BJU will/can make your life easier by having someone else take over the actual teaching aspect, but you must tend to the grading, etc. If you do not grade the daily work, you will not know until it is too late whether he is comprehending, or even completing, the material.

The BJU teachers are excellent. And for 7th grade your ds would have Mrs. Vick for Science, English, and Literature! She is a wonderful teacher. Mrs. Moon, who my son had for math this year, is very good to. She is the 7th gr History teacher. I know nothing about the Bible teacher, so I cannot comment on him, and the math teacher, Mrs. Sedivy seems a fine teacher, we just don't care for her voice. ;)

I don't think trying BJU will be a waste of your money. Your ds WILL learn, and if he is auditory the DVDs may help him concentrate. The teacher's DO make the classes interesting. I was searching for a class on our satellite a few weeks ago and the high school US History class was airing. My son, who is 12, was so enthralled by what she was teaching that he didn't want me to switch channels. It was very interesting.

No one can say if the DVDs will help make your son want to do school, or help him be more independent. You'll never know unless you give it a try. I would watch some sample classes with your ds and see what he thinks. BJU used to send out a free sample DVD. If you phone them, I'm sure they can help you out with something.

BJU has been a great addition to our homeschool, but it's not a perfect-for-every-situation curriculum. You'll have to decide that for yourself. ;)

So where did we go from there? For "my" son (not saying this is your ds), but it was a laziness issue and a discipline problem. He wasn't "in the game". That's our term around here when I can tell he's not giving me his all. Yes, this pretty much describes my son as well.

It was 2 years ago we tried HomeSat and school is a whole lot better. He's much more independant, but it's taken some time. He's finishing up his 8th grade year and actually "cares" about his grades! So what are you using that's working for you?

At the beginning of this year I had to read to him his Apologia General Science (he does struggle w/ comprehension) and now he reads it all on his own and I just go over the study guide and then he takes his test. LOL I tried Apologia General this year, too, and had to read it to him. After a several weeks we abandoned it for the Exploring... series, hoping to get back to Apologia next year.

BTW, I'm hsing 4 too! My boys are 14, 12, 8 &5. Combining them as much as possible has really helped w/ the time issue too! I can't combine the oldest with any of the others because he is soooo easily distractable and causes problems with the others.

Sooo, my answer would be....be careful!! I see you use MOH. Have you ever looked into WP? That's what's done it for us! Not that "one" curriculum is the end-all answer, but there are programs that fit better than others. Has he used SL? How did that go? I had planned on using WP Sea and Sky for him next year. I've just started rethinking it because I just don't know how much more I can take of trying to teach this kid. I've never used SL for him. This is my first year with SL for my #2. Which WP programs have you used?

Thanks for your input. I'd love to hear more about what you've done to create a change in the situation with your ds. Thanks.

I agree with Melissa about the DVDs (as usual!) and would add that we have always been finished with school by lunchtime, so we have not found the DVD program to be particularly long, or anywhere near a public school day, as another poster mentioned.

Personally, I think there's a huge difference between the BJU DVDs and SOS -- we absolutely hated SOS!

Cat

Sorry for the confusion. He's 7th grade now. So we're looking at 8th grade BJU if that makes any difference.

So how much time did it take for you to grade and go over their work? Right now I'm spending over 1.5-2 hours per day with him. 30 minutes of that is Latin which I'd keep doing in addition to BJU. So if it took less than 1hr per day, I'd still have an improvement over our current situation.

My DD has LOVED 7th grade with Homesat.

I'm really sorry that i talked myself OUT of doing it a few years ago for her - the style is perfect for her. She's looking forward to the 8th grade classes - and while she loves Life Science, she'd start Space & Earth today if i had the books! LOL!!

But i am very much having to sit with my middle child. The best thing is that when she struggles - i'm NOT the first person to have given the info. And, i seem to explain naturally the same way BJU does, so she's not looking at me like i'm from outer space while explaining it again.

Overall, i'm beyond happy with the classes we have done, and everything i have recorded this year!

We haven't used 8th grade, so I'm sorry to say I can't help you with any details, but if you call BJU, they can probably help you with that. I have called with questions in the past, and have always found the reps to be very helpful. You could also attend a motel meeting (which I highly recommend,) so you can see the actual books, view extensive DVD samples, and ask questions. As I've mentioned in other posts, it's not really a "meeting;" it's really just a big display, but the reps are there to answer your questions and help you decide what to order.

Cat

We haven't used 8th grade, so I'm sorry to say I can't help you with any details, but if you call BJU, they can probably help you with that. I have called with questions in the past, and have always found the reps to be very helpful. You could also attend a motel meeting (which I highly recommend,) so you can see the actual books, view extensive DVD samples, and ask questions. As I've mentioned in other posts, it's not really a "meeting;" it's really just a big display, but the reps are there to answer your questions and help you decide what to order.

Cat

Unfortunately, I live in England, so no hotel meetings. I need to try to find the samples on their web site, though. That will at least give me some idea of what it's like.

Sorry for the confusion. He's 7th grade now. So we're looking at 8th grade BJU if that makes any difference.

So how much time did it take for you to grade and go over their work? Right now I'm spending over 1.5-2 hours per day with him. 30 minutes of that is Latin which I'd keep doing in addition to BJU. So if it took less than 1hr per day, I'd still have an improvement over our current situation.

With 8th grade you'll still have Mrs. Vick for English, Science and Lit! :D I must warn you though that unless your ds does well in English Grammar, you may want to step down a grade and do the 7th instead. You are allowed to switch two classes up or down a grade with the DVD option. BJU's English can be tough. The Pre-Alg teacher seems just fine. I recorded her class this year. I know nothing about the history and bible teachers though.

As for grading, it should take no time at all. Definitely not an hour a day! The "Mom's Minutes" before each class are generally around 3-5 min. The teacher fills in you, the parent, on what the child will be learning that day and how you can help, questions you can ask if you'd like, what is coming up, etc. With my son's BJU classes I really do not have to spend much time at all. When he is finished I grade his homework. If he gets a couple wrong, we discuss. If he gets a lot wrong, it is because he zoned out his teacher that day. You can usually tell when this has happened. :glare: And it will happen eventually. Some classes are very interesting, and then there is MATH! :lol: Whenever my son zoned, I would make him re-watch his class...it's amazing how well he was able to do his work after a fully engaged 're-watch' ;) It has taught him to NOT zone out during math because if he does, he gets to watch his class AGAIN! :w00t:

Also, with BJU, you need to pick and choose some of the extra's. Your son may not need to do all the science labs. You can pick and choose them, as most (if not all) will be shown in class anyhow. You may not want to assign all the writing assignments in English either, etc. You can tailor it a bit...there is wiggle room to do so.

Do those of you that use it...

have your children watch all the dvds then do the workbooks or dvd then workbook, dvd then workbook?

DVD and then workbook. Some of the teachers will work some of the problems in the workbook with the child and then they are to finish the rest after class. So when they are done with their video class, they do their work, and they are then done with said subject for the day. Clear as mud?

This is VERY helpful. Thank you.

I've just looked at the online samples and spoken with a rep. I think ds will think the teachers are kind of hokey, but he may just have to put up with it if he wants to keep homeschooling. I was very impressed with all the answers from the rep... except the cost. Ack!

Another good thing about the BJU dvd programs is that each class comes with a schedule of what to do when. That helped my ds and me out SOOOOO much! When I DID get behind in grading sometimes, I had that schedule to let me know what should have been covered, and when things were due, etc. DS had the schedule to help keep him on track and know what to do and when to finish by the end of the year. It helped keep us from getting bogged down! Some people don't like those, but they were one thing we really liked about the dvd program!

Unfortunately, I live in England, so no hotel meetings. I need to try to find the samples on their web site, though. That will at least give me some idea of what it's like.

Sorry, Megan! I didn't think to look for your location before I posted.

Just having another one of my clueless days, I guess! :tongue_smilie:

Cat

That's okay. Being over here in England can be a real pain in the neck sometimes, like when I can't see and touch hs materials at a convention, etc. But I just found out that it has its advantages, too. The BJU rep said that because I'm overseas, I don't have to return the dvd's in 13 months. I can keep them as long as I need them. :-)

I'm going to have ds take the placement tests. I'm considering holding him back in 7th grade because he's had so many problems with school the past couple of years. I'd rather have him succeed in 7th grade than fail 8th.

So what should I expect to have to do with the "Moms Minutes"? People tell me I will have to get junk ready for class. Im talking 1st and 3rd here.

Since I have not used any grade under 4th, I cannot answer you with any real knowledge except to say that I have heard in the early grades, like 1st, that there are a lot of cut-outs and whatnot to prepare. I have read threads with moms talking about how they get all those things prepared in advance using weekly file folders to organize them. Hopefully someone using BJU with youngers can help you better. Perhaps start a new thread with that in your title?

Like Brindee mentioned though, you are supplied with a very detailed schedule and you will be able to look ahead to what is going to be needed, assigned, etc. I know some moms like to watch the Moms Minutes the day before so that if there is anything they want to implement they have time to do so.

I'm going to have ds take the placement tests. I'm considering holding him back in 7th grade because he's had so many problems with school the past couple of years. I'd rather have him succeed in 7th grade than fail 8th.

I can say that 7th is VERY rigorous and i'd have no problem using it for 8th. It's a good "feet wet" year too i think. DD has absolutely LOVED Mrs Moon for History. I'm pretty sure she'd watch 6th with her just for fun! LOL!!

Really overall, i'm beyond pleased with the 7th grade year. She hasn't complained at all about watching the classes (written work... well.....).

So what should I expect to have to do with the "Moms Minutes"? People tell me I will have to get junk ready for class. Im talking 1st and 3rd here.

Well.......... you're supposed to watch the Mom's Minutes....... but some Moms are a little on the lazy side (ok, me...) and don't go too crazy with the preparation. At first, you'll be kind of a lunatic about it, but then you'll learn that you don't always need all of the "stuff," and that your dc can watch the lessons and learn just as much without it. I still remember carefully counting out popsicle sticks to be sure I had exactly 100 for math class (second grade, I think!) and cutting out and sorting all of the little manipulatives into labeled envelopes, and making sure I had just the right number and colors of Unifix cubes. And that was just the beginning.

I was such an idiot.

I later learned that it's just as easy to only prepare the items that are used frequently, and have your dc ask you for anything else that's needed for the class when it actually happens on the DVD. Often, you don't really need it all.

I also found that the majority of work was for math and science. The other classes required very little preparation. Sometimes, there was a little project for Heritage Studies or something, but the daily requirements for the classes were usually more along the lines of a pencil, some crayons, and maybe a sheet of paper.

Even if you don't watch the Mom's Minutes, there's often a little screen at the beginning of the video class that tells the child what they'll need that day, so there are rarely any surprises.

The Mom's Minutes are usually more about what your child will be learning that day, than they are about specific preparation instructions. (By that, I mean that they sound worse than they are -- they're really no big deal, just the teacher speaking directly to you about the objectives of the class. Additionally, not all classes have daily Mom's Minutes; some are less frequent.)

I'm sure I'm coming across as the laziest mom on the planet, but I'm speaking from a BTDT perspective, and I've found a lot of ways to make life easier when using the DVDs.

Cat

Sorry I didn't see your questions earlier. I wasn't online much yesterday.

Well I seem to be the odd one here. Not trying to be negative, I'm just giving our experience.:)

I'll try to answer your questions and you can email me privately if you'd like.

You asked what I'm using now that works. Well, sticking him in his room w/ many dvd's and lots of workbooks WASN'T the answer. So if you're handholding him now and he's very distracted, I don't think this is your answer.

The best thing that works w/ my boys is us all sitting around the kitchen table doing school--together! I ususally sit at the end w/ 2 on either side of me. The 3rd one (b/c I teach my 5 yo separately) is usually doing independant work. So if it's time for me to "teach" you (i.e. phonics w/ my 8 yo or spelling w/ 12 yo) then you sit by me. My oldest is not the one that is easily distracted. So now that I'm not having to read the Apologia to him, he goes in another room or sits on the couch to read.

LOL! That's so funny that you were considering WP S&S next year too. Next year I plan on us all sitting in the living room reading all of our history/bible together. I always tell them they're going to have to tell me 2-3 things they learned in our reading and that seems to help w/ them listening.

So what EXACTLY is it that's bothering you guys? Is it math? Is it one subject in particular? Can you pinpoint it? To be honest, the dvd's didn't solve training issues that only "I" could help him with. My boys are lazy! They don't want to work. But I'm training them to work and be diligent. In order to train them, I have to be present.

Having all that work only compounded the issue.

Let me give you an example. We use MUS (math-u-see) for math and I love it. There are no pretty pictures, no color, just plain black and white pages w/ math problems. Well, if my boys can master a math concept in 20 minutes a day, why would I use Saxon that takes an hour a day? We tried Saxon many years ago. My thoughts are, "If my kids can learn something in a shorter amount of time, why spend more time on busy work?"

We are finishing up Quest for the Middle Ages. It has been a GREAT year! We've used SL, MFW, BJU, TOG and many others I created on my own (for history). I haven't separate reasons for switching from all that I won't get into here. But it was when my oldest was in 7th grade that I thought I was going to scream! I really think it's an age thing. You're ready for them to be independant and they're not and you don't really know how to get them there.

This is what we're using now.

WP QMA, IEW (for writing), Apologia, MUS, Progeny Press (but I'm starting Teaching the Classics in August), Fix-It, and different bible studies.

Not sure if I've answered all your questions. Didn't mean to write a book, your post just sounded like me a few years ago.

Email me if you have any more q's.

tiffanikeyes at gmail dot com

Well, sticking him in his room w/ many dvd's and lots of workbooks WASN'T the answer. So if you're handholding him now and he's very distracted, I don't think this is your answer.

:iagree:

I think the BJU DVDs can be excellent, but you do need to be nearby or make sure kids know you'll be in and out of the room quite a bit, or else the tv will be on, and the kids will be hanging upside down from their chairs launching spitballs at the ceiling. ;)

I think the DVD program can be very effective, and it honestly cut my own "Mom the Teacher" time down a lot, but I agree with Tiffani that you have to keep an eye on things to be sure the work gets done.

I found that, after a fairly short time, my ds was quite independent with the DVD program, and he did the work without having me standing over him, but I still kept track of what he was supposed to be doing, because I didn't want to give him a chance to get lazy.

Also, if you believe in testing (as I do,) you'll need to keep track of when your child does chapter reviews and cumulative reviews, so you'll know when it's test day. Something that worked great for me was that my ds knew that if he had a test on a given day, he didn't have to watch the next lesson that day -- once he finished the test, he was done with the subject for the day.

It's interesting that Tiffani gets a better response from her kids when she does the teaching. In our case, my ds seemed to pay better attention to the video teacher, and was less likely to complain about the assignments. When I give him an assignment on my own, there is usually quite a bit of whining, complaining, and negotiating before my ds will sit down and do the work.

Cat

Cat

I think the BJU DVDs can be excellent, but you do need to be nearby or make sure kids know you'll be in and out of the room quite a bit, or else the tv will be on, and the kids will be hanging upside down from their chairs launching spitballs at the ceiling. ;)

:lol: Yeah, when you catch him laying on his bedroom floor with his back to the TV, playing legos, while his poor math teacher is working her video backside off teaching him...you'll realize one thing: Boys! You gotta love um, but you just can't trust um! :lol:

Edited by Melissa in CA
poor, poor, POOR grammar! lol

:lol: Yeah, when you catch him laying on his bedroom floor with his back to the TV, playing legos, while his poor math teacher is working her video backside off teaching him...you'll realize one thing: Boys! You gotta love um, but you just can't trust um! :lol:

:iagree:That's what my 2nd "darling son":D was doing. As we say down here in the south...."Bless his heart";)

It's interesting that Tiffani gets a better response from her kids when she does the teaching. In our case, my ds seemed to pay better attention to the video teacher, and was less likely to complain about the assignments. When I give him an assignment on my own, there is usually quite a bit of whining, complaining, and negotiating before my ds will sit down and do the work.

Cat

Cat

Yeah...go figure:001_huh: But that's the beauty of homeschooling. We all get to tailor our dc's education to their needs (and ours:D).

Tiffani

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I am new to all of this. It's my first year and I decided to use BJU Online for all three of my kids.

My son is in 7th, my oldest daughter is in 6th and my youngest daughter is in 1st.

I chose the online courses over the dvds. I was concerned that my children would misplace or lose the dvds.

Someone mentioned something about "new" tapings of the online/dvd courses. Does that mean that some of the "cheesy" aspects of the lessons will be removed?? That was the only thing that concerned me.

The other option we considered was ABeka, but I didn't like the camera in the back of the classroom. It seemed cruel to constantly remind my kids they were missing out on being with real people, especially my 1st grader. And I know ABeka lacks in the upper grades.

My 7th grader is the one I am nervous about homeschooling. If he is challenged, he does great! However if he is bored, his grades reflect it instantly. Any suggestions??

My middle daughter loves to learn and reads books all the time. I am really not concerned about her learning. She will also help with my youngest.

How is the reading program? My 1st grader is able to read Bob books, but my other two kids were reading with ABeka in 4 year old class.

I welcome any suggestions. Just pm me or post here.

Thanks!!!

Hi!

I am new to all of this. It's my first year and I decided to use BJU Online for all three of my kids...

Hi Chereb, (Cute screen name!)

I just wanted to say "Welcome!"

We'll be starting our 12th year of home-schooling in the late summer. Although I've never used BJU's DVD courses, we have used several of their subjects throughout our journey and their curriculum is some of the very best.

I've previewed some of their video classes and I think the content is superior to what else is out their. I noticed some of the cheesy parts myself and can just imagine our 9yo ds rolling his eyes, but the overall content far outweighs those aspects. I have the DVDs on my radar for next year's studies as our 2nd ds will be in 7th grade.

Hope you have a blessed year and are connected to a support group or even one df homeschooling alongside you. It's vital in those first couple of years!

Warmly, :)

Edited by angela&4boys

Hi Chereb, (Cute screen name!)

I just wanted to say "Welcome!"

We'll be starting our 12th year of home-schooling in the late summer. Although I've never used BJU's DVD courses, we have used several of their subjects throughout our journey and their curriculum is some of the very best.

I've previewed some of their video classes and I think the content is superior to what else is out their. I noticed some of the cheesy parts myself and can just imagine our 9yo ds rolling his eyes, but the overall content far outweighs those aspects. I have the DVDs on my radar for next year's studies as our 2nd ds will be in 7th grade.

Hope you have a blessed year and are connected to a support group or even one df homeschooling alongside you. It's vital in those first couple of years!

Warmly, :)

My ds got used to the 'cheesiness' (puppetry, etc) and began to thoroughly enjoy it! :D

chereb, I think your ds will be challenged enough with the BJU classes---they are quite rigorous! My oldest thrived the year he did the BJU dvd program! It REALLY helped him learn, and he still looks back on it fondly, believe it or not! :)

We never gave him the dvd's and workbooks and stuck him in his room. He was out where the other kids and I were working, and I could help him as he needed it. It was the right thing for him at that time, and I'm glad we spent the money for that great experience he had.............it was well worth it! :thumbup:

MEGANP--What did you end up deciding to do?

we used the DVD's. My oldest also used their science, 9th grade, but with no DVD. My dd did great with the DVD! It was her favorite subject. She enjoyed the teacher, she enjoyed the daily class, and she enjoyed the structure. It was such a huge relief for me, and it showed me what she really needed. I could not give her the daily, incremental lessons that she needed. We tended to meet 2x a week for history, 2x a week for science, Lit was done once a week at home, the rest of the time in the car. My poor dd craved some stability. She thrived with daily school like lessons. She struggled through the science, because I was not constantly going over every detail. I did always work through the chapter with her, but it was in big chunks.

We are going with all of the DVD's next year. The only one we are not planning to use is English. We're going to use study guides and IEW. My dd and I are both looking forward to this coming year.

I will say that my dd has hit the stage where she knows she wants to get her work done, and will do the work, even without me nagging her.:D She has gained a better idea of how to study for a test, and her grades improved by the end of last year.

HTH

My ds got used to the 'cheesiness' (puppetry, etc) and began to thoroughly enjoy it! :D

Oh, I suspect my 9yo eye roller would secretly enjoy it! ;) He's the one that's tough during the day around his friends, but wants to snuggle with mom and dad when we're doing devotions or reading in the evening.

Just a couple more thoughts on this...

We've used BJUP HomeSat for 5 years (1st-5th), and we've been very happy with it. I have just one child, so he's not isolated in his room. We watch it in the den together.

The OP mentioned that her son is a kinesthetic learner. So am I, and so is my son. I am 100% comfortable with having my son sitting in the floor with a stack of legos or magnet toys as he listens. I am often doing something with my hands as I listen too. This does not take away from our learning experience at all.

The OP also mentioned that her son was a resistant learner. Mine was very resistant when we started first grade, and one of the reasons I wanted to use HomeSat was so that the HomeSat teacher was the one making the assignments (not me), and she couldn't be argued with. This tactic actually worked.

I have to agree with the second poster (Tiffini, I think) who said HomeSat is a lot of work for mom and a lot of busy work for the student. You'll have to take some time to get used to the curriculum, then FEEL FREE to tweak it to best suit your family. There are entire categories of work that I've learned we can skip and still get most of the good out of the course. You'll have to find out what your son especially needs and what he can live without. But don't feel you must do everything. (However, be sure YOU, as the teacher, are the one to decide. Don't let your resistant learner decide what he's going to do without.)

On the other hand, your son is going to get content thoroughly prepared in a way that very few homeschool moms have the time or the skill to do. You can learn along with your son if you want, but you won't have to learn ahead of him and present the information to him. And that's an incredible relief.

The school day can get long, particularly the first grade day. Please remember that it is not necessary for your first grader to DO or to MASTER everything in the curriculum. Pick what you think BJUP does the best for your student and skip something else.

As to the cheesie stuff in the programming -- that's the best part! That's the part we never skip!

<<Someone mentioned something about "new" tapings of the online/dvd courses. Does that mean that some of the "cheesy" aspects of the lessons will be removed?? That was the only thing that concerned me.>>

The courses online and on DVD (and what was on the satellite last year) are identical. They record new classes as they can, but the new classes include skits and puppets. By and large, these are age appropriate and the kids really enjoy them.

<<The other option we considered was ABeka, but I didn't like the camera in the back of the classroom. It seemed cruel to constantly remind my kids they were missing out on being with real people>>

I had EXACTLY the same reaction when I previewed the Abeka video classes way back when. Your child will not feel left out with BJUP.

<<How is the reading program? My 1st grader is able to read Bob books, but my other two kids were reading with ABeka in 4 year old class. >>

The reading classes are excellent. The 1st grade reading class is excellent. My son was already reading chapter books when he started first grade. I let him skip the phonic lessons. But we have enjoyed all the reading classes (1st - 5th grade)

In summary: We love HomeSat (or whatever they're calling it now); but you have to make it work for you, and that takes some time.

I just went to a BJU meeting and am actually now contemplating getting the Distance Learning Grade 4. If we do get it, I may wait to order in around Thanksgiving (now that I know I can only lease it for 13 months). My ds will be 9.5 and a solid 4th grader, but I also have a dd who turns 8 on Thanksgiving Day and I am thinking that I could let her sit in on many of the classes and see what she can absorb, too. I am wondering if they may come out with the 3rd edition math book for the DVD course by then, as well. I will have to figure out if I should buy an extra set of worktexts for her or not. Hmm....

Brenda

I just went to a BJU meeting and am actually now contemplating getting the Distance Learning Grade 4. If we do get it, I may wait to order in around Thanksgiving (now that I know I can only lease it for 13 months). My ds will be 9.5 and a solid 4th grader, but I also have a dd who turns 8 on Thanksgiving Day and I am thinking that I could let her sit in on many of the classes and see what she can absorb, too. I am wondering if they may come out with the 3rd edition math book for the DVD course by then, as well. I will have to figure out if I should buy an extra set of worktexts for her or not. Hmm....

Brenda

If math is retaped, it won't be available until next "school year" - they wouldn't change it in the middle of the year.

The Distance Learning products (Homesat for us) have been a huge blessing this year. I just hope that my kids are able to continue.... they want too, they love their classes and teachers.

Thanks, Tracey!

Okay, here's another question. I'm curious as to what people do when they have more than one grade level represented in their family. Do you have separate laptops for each child? Actually, we don't even own a laptop yet at all. I would probably just be showing the DVD on our TV screen. I'm just wondering how distance learning plays out, schedule-wise, in everyone's homes.

Thanks!

Brenda

Thanks, Tracey!

Okay, here's another question. I'm curious as to what people do when they have more than one grade level represented in their family. Do you have separate laptops for each child? Actually, we don't even own a laptop yet at all. I would probably just be showing the DVD on our TV screen. I'm just wondering how distance learning plays out, schedule-wise, in everyone's homes.

Thanks!

Brenda

Some people purchase small portable DVD players for each child, some, like us, purchased an extra $59-$99 small TV (13 " or so) and an inexpensive DVD player. At one time we had one child (youngest) using the main TV in the family room, one using the small 13" at the kitchen table, and the other using the portable DVD player that we bought for our car trip to Virginia also at the kitchen table (both boys with ear bud headphones). Using the computer is also an option. You just make it work. ;)

The main thing is to have them some place accessible to you. I wouldn't allow them to be in a bedroom with a TV doing their school lying on a bed. ;)

You know, I think I am going to tuck away all this info for later (ie. maybe Middle School and beyond). I really do have a full plate of curriculum all ready to go this coming year, and I should be okay.

I was feeling so disorganized, but I am doing a bit better now that I am looking carefully at how organized the SOTW activity pages are. And I was feeling badly that my 9 ds wasn't understanding what a simple subject or simple predicate was, but I see that R & S keeps repeating the concepts as we go along from English 3 to English 4 (so I guess I won't jump ship to BJU English just yet). Also, WWE has been working very well for us... and I will also be trying out IEW's Ancient History Theme-based books this fall, too.

Thanks everyone for alerting me to BJU's DVD's. It looks like it could be a great option in the future (particularly when I can just purchase one or two subjects instead of the whole grade level at a time).

Brenda

Wow! Thanks a million for all of the detailed responses to my questions.

You are all such great encouragers.

Well, we got our shipments in and tonight we carefully took each book out of the box and opened them just as they described on the leaflet. My 6th grade daughter (the book lover) insisted on carefully opening each book spine. Ya gotta love her!

Anyway, we both felt like it was Christmas morning!!! I am so impressed by their books and how interesting they are. We spent hours looking them over and I had to force her to put them away.

There have been moments when a little tinge of "I hope I don't mess these kids up" comes upon me, but I quickly feel the peace of God reassuring me that I can do this and I know He is leading me on this new path.

I keep hearing my kids talk about how they have felt like they lost out on years of being with the family and how excited they are to focus on the work instead of all of the drama in the classroom.

I know you can help me with my next hurdle. How in the world do I set this up? Let me say we have plenty of computers around here so each child can simultaneously view. And I plan to be there 100% of the time. Actually, we are setting up a bonus room above our garage to use as a classroom.

I know we all need to be on some sort of schedule or routine. So here's my confession....we love to stay up late and sleep late! And the kids sort of graze all day instead of planned meals like that show on t.v. with the little faces all lined up....lol!

I am starting now to fix ONE breakfast at a given time in the morning and snacks and lunch and all eat together.

I am wondering about supplies and what I will need in addition to the textbooks, workbooks, etc. I need specific instructions, so is there a book out there that would help. Or maybe another thread with all of this info.

How will I divide my time? My 1st grader and 6th grader (both girls) work beautifully together. They even share a room most of the time and help one another. So I plan to teach them together.

My son does not work well with them and needs a lot of attention. I agree with ya'll...he will not be in his room on his own. So, how can I accomplish this?

We may use the downstairs of the garage for him??? What do ya'll think? I thought if it was separate from the house, then it would create a routine for them of no playing, serious work to be done! And structured.

Do you take little breaks or have recess? We will be joining a local group and will have P.E. weekly. But what about the daily routine?

Sorry if I'm straying too far from my original post. So, feel free to redirect me if you need to. :)

I do have a question about the BJU materials. How do you organize it all? I have no clue if I received what I was supposed to receive of the full grade kit. Is there a teacher's manual that I can purchase for the entire grade level or do I need to buy one for each subject/per grade? I hope not.

I am so glad to hear how ya'll feel about he puppets and that you actually enjoy them! I guess it does lighten up some of the intensity of the material. So that's great to hear.

And I loved the illustration of lying on the floor building legos while listening. That makes sense to me. I do the same thing. I find it hard to sit still for lecture type things. I have to be moving all the time....so that's good to know.

Keep the suggegestions/advice coming! I so appreciate it all!!!

I know you can help me with my next hurdle. How in the world do I set this up?...I am wondering about supplies and what I will need in addition to the textbooks, workbooks, etc. I need specific instructions, so is there a book out there that would help. Or maybe another thread with all of this info.

Do you know there is a very active HomeSat yahoo group?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSat/

Though it's called HomeSat, it's just as applicable to anyone using the DVDs or the hard drive option. Join that group, then look in the Files section of the group. You'll find a lot of information there on how to get started.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSat/files/

we love to stay up late and sleep late!

Me too. That works OK for us.

My son does not work well with them and needs a lot of attention. I agree with ya'll...he will not be in his room on his own. So, how can I accomplish this?

I haven't done BJUP with multiple kids, so I can't really answer this. I know a lot of families have the kids use headphones. My girlfriend IRL had her husband build her three kids three cubes, like office cubes, right into their school room. My friend's desk is behind the three kids' desks, and she can keep an eye on all three of them at one time.

You'll get more ideas by reading the HomeSat yahoo group. In addition to the files section, browse through the old posts. There are many, many posts asking for missed broadcasts. Skip all those and look for the "how to" posts. There's a lot of good advice there.

I don't have a ton of time right now to answer everything, but i want to hit a few things. Cindy pointed you to the Homesat group - come on over!

I know you can help me with my next hurdle. How in the world do I set this up? Let me say we have plenty of computers around here so each child can simultaneously view. And I plan to be there 100% of the time. Actually, we are setting up a bonus room above our garage to use as a classroom.

Headphones.

How much "room" do you have? My oldest thinks her 60" table is hers alone, and not really enough space for her :rolleyes: My middle child works fine in about 24".

I know we all need to be on some sort of schedule or routine. So here's my confession....we love to stay up late and sleep late! And the kids sort of graze all day instead of planned meals like that show on t.v. with the little faces all lined up....lol!

Routine will probably help, but really, don't try to force a "school at home" schedule on them. Work with it and be willing to flex. Maybe you guys do your best academic work after 12pm!

I am wondering about supplies and what I will need in addition to the textbooks, workbooks, etc. I need specific instructions, so is there a book out there that would help. Or maybe another thread with all of this info.

I do have a question about the BJU materials. How do you organize it all? I have no clue if I received what I was supposed to receive of the full grade kit. Is there a teacher's manual that I can purchase for the entire grade level or do I need to buy one for each subject/per grade? I hope not.

2 things here.

1. The first class of each class is an orientation class. Hmmm, you are doing it online - i bet they don't have those up yet? BUt that is for you and will go over what you need in the "major" area, and possibly cover grading and all that. There also should be some sort of access (on disk? online?) to the PRINTED Mom's Minutes/Teacher's Tips. That also tells you what you might need supply wise.

2. I'm going to be irked for you if they didn't tell you this. YOu had/have the chanced to buy the complete set of teachers manual in book for $100. That is per grade. I'm not sure if you want them, if you are new to BJU Phonics, then i'd suggest at least getting the Phonics & English one. There is a combined book for 1st i think - Rock SOlid sold it, but i dont' think there is any for the other grades. I'm not sure what is IN the one at RS either.

I think the TE are available to you online though too.

How will I divide my time? My 1st grader and 6th grader (both girls) work beautifully together. They even share a room most of the time and help one another. So I plan to teach them together.

We may use the downstairs of the garage for him??? What do ya'll think? I thought if it was separate from the house, then it would create a routine for them of no playing, serious work to be done! And structured.

Well, i'd have them all in the same room. Headphones for everyone but the 1st grader. You will need to sit with her for that class while she is adapting to the style, making sure she is pausing the class to do the work, reading and answering the questions. It will be an adjustment for ALL of the kids, i'd probably start them on different days, going thru a days worth of classes with each to see how you can help them set up and keep a flow.

Do you take little breaks or have recess? We will be joining a local group and will have P.E. weekly. But what about the daily routine?

Mine break when needed....

OK, time to start school here - Mom overslept and it kinda mucked up the day :tongue_smilie:

Thanks! Those posts helped guide me A LOT!

I am going to go sign up on the yahoo group. I had no idea that existed, so thanks!

And I called today to ask about the teacher's manuals and they are on their way to my home! I am thrilled!! What a deal for all those books!

Re: space available - we have about 500 sq feet. It's above the garage, so the ceiling height slopes along the sides.

I LOVE the idea of cubes. That is really cool. I told my husband and he will start drawing up a plan.

Thanks for letting me off the hook about being nite-owls. That was something that really worried me.

Funny, but the more I learn, the more it seems like all of you homeschoolers have been keeping a BIG secret from moms like me. I only wish I would have known I could do this sooner. For some reason, I thought I would need a teaching degree, be totally organized and willing to give up friends and life as I know it.

I just checked with our local group of homeschoolers and there are 75 FAMILIES!!! I wouldn't have guessed 75 people, much less families.

For the very first time in my life, I am excited about starting school! And so are my kids! I always dreaded school starting and would get more and more upset as August approached. All of the other mom's couldn't wait for their kids to go back. I just never understood that. I LOVE being with my family and although it's hard doing it 24/7, I know they are growing up before my eyes and I'll cherish these times forever. :D

Oh good, i'm glad you got the TE coming!!

You have about as much space as we have in here, but i have no pictures in its current state. I'd go ahead and make sure you give them "room". I have 1 60" and 2 48" tables. I think the 48" is a good width (I think they are 30" deep), there is space for you to work next to them, and for them to spread out with their stuff and then TV/Monitor. The one child that uses the big computer - an eMac, it's a 17" CRT all-in-one - we found having that raised on a stand so the keyboard fits under works well. All she needs is the mouse to pause, so she still has room to work.

My other DD is using a 12" laptop, and it doesn't take as much desk space.

For the very first time in my life, I am excited about starting school! And so are my kids! I always dreaded school starting and would get more and more upset as August approached. All of the other mom's couldn't wait for their kids to go back. I just never understood that. I LOVE being with my family and although it's hard doing it 24/7, I know they are growing up before my eyes and I'll cherish these times forever. :D

I feel the same way. I cherish every day that we get to spend together, i just hope and pray it can continue.