Menu

Spelling - Need Recommendations

We're using All About Spelling as well. I feel like I've finally found the perfect spelling program. Over the years we've tried a variety of programs, workbooks, etc, and my daughter just wasn't retaining anything. I was about to give up, then I found AAS. It has phonics, spelling rules, and lots of review - and the teacher manual has everything you need to do for every lesson. I love it!

Christian Liberty Press has a no nonsense Spelling that was VERY good for my boys when they were that age. I started homeschooling my oldest when he was in 2nd grade, and that is what he used. He loved it! We used CLP's Spelling curriculum for 3 years.

My older ds is using spelling power, but I was thinking that I would start dd in 3rd since that is where it is supposed to start. I never really considered using it for her in 2nd... how is that going for your dd?

I like Spelling Power. It takes you all the way through high school. My dd is in 2nd grade too.

Another vote for All About Spelling. I've tried at least four other spelling programs: ACSI Spelling, Spelling Power, Spelling Workout, and Spell to Write and Read/Wise Guide for Spelling), and AAS has been the best for my kids. The only one of the others I tried that actually worked was SWR/WG, but that wasn't easy to use. I started 9yod in level 1 of AAS at the beginning of the school year, and she's now in level 3. I started 7yos in level 1, and he's almost finished with it. AAS is very easy to use, very thorough, and good for all types of learners. There is continual review of past info, and it's personalized for the child through the use of a filing system. The lessons can be as long or as short as you want them each day. There are 24-28 "steps" in the books, but you decide how much of a step to do each day. My dd did a step every 1-2 days for the first book (she already knew most of the info from SWR/Wise Guide). She took 2 or more days for each step in book 2.

I highly recommend All About Spelling.

Another vote for All About Spelling. I've tried at least four other spelling programs: ACSI Spelling, Spelling Power, Spelling Workout, and Spell to Write and Read/Wise Guide for Spelling), and AAS has been the best for my kids. The only one of the others I tried that actually worked was SWR/WG, but that wasn't easy to use. I started 9yod in level 1 of AAS at the beginning of the school year, and she's now in level 3. I started 7yos in level 1, and he's almost finished with it. AAS is very easy to use, very thorough, and good for all types of learners. There is continual review of past info, and it's personalized for the child through the use of a filing system. The lessons can be as long or as short as you want them each day. There are 24-28 "steps" in the books, but you decide how much of a step to do each day. My dd did a step every 1-2 days for the first book (she already knew most of the info from SWR/Wise Guide). She took 2 or more days for each step in book 2.

I highly recommend All About Spelling.

If I go with AAS, what do you recommend I buy to start? Do you purchase a couple of levels at once or one at a time?