Menu

Has anyone purchased instruments off of ebay?

Just curious if anyone has purchased starter instruments off of ebay.

Dc will be joining a homeschool band next year.

We took them last night to the music store, so they could choose which instrument they wanted to play.

Ds chose the clarinet and dd the violin.

When we got home I looked on ebay and saw a lot of clarinets and violins.

Dh is worried about purchasing something so cheap. I understand that, but the rental price of those instruments are a bit pricey! IMO

Anyone have experience or thoughts in purchasing instruments off ebay??

My daughter plays the violin at school and her teacher recommended we do not purchase her violin on ebay unless we are really knowledgeable about it. She said she had several students do it and each and every time she had to spend a lot of time fixing the instruments for them, so they'd be playable.

We have a music store in town that works with the schools and that is where we rent her violin, she started with a 1/2 size, now has a 3/4. When we decide to buy we will get 75% of our rent as a credit (past 24 months). I would look to see if you have a store that does that kind of system near you.

She also plays the clarinet (she is in both band and orchestra) and that we had to buy (they don't rent them) from that same music store, we got her a used one. Also anytime we have an issue they will fix it for free , so that makes it very worth it to deal with a local store (too bad we are moving).

I've had good luck off e-bay and from flea markets. I bought a violin and a flute off e-bay. I was expecting to have to change the strings, which I did. Music teachers seem to to think they need changed every 6 months or so anyway. (I don't know anyone who actually does change them that often.) I don't like twangy sounding strings, so I change them no matter where I get the violin.

The flute was a Gemeinhardt with a silver headpiece for $100. It didn't need any repairs in spite of being 30 years old.

I bought a trumpet at a flea market for $40. It did not need any repairs either and dd has used it for two years in band. It was also about 30 and was the brand lots of kids used for marching band because it is sturdy.

Their teachers have been happy with all three of these as student instruments.

I also bought an old violin to practice repairing. It was fun but is not done yet. One day, I'll have time to pull it back out.

My Dad runs Central Oklahoma Homeschool Bands (shameless plug!). He is always willing to talk to homeschoolers about instruments--and he has quite a collection that he sells too... You can find his contact info at his site.

He was my band director in Jr high too...

We both purchase instruments off of E-bay.

I have had a few issues--but most have been positive (ALWAYS pay through paypal with a credit card for YOUR protection).

One of the best clarinets is the Buffet B12. It is 'resin' (plastic) but it has the same great sound and FEEL as its wooden version the R13. It costs 90% less too!

I would not hesitate to purchase a B12 for a beginning student. My middle dd uses her B12 more than her R13. The B12 is a MUST for marching band. Expect to pay $450 or so for a new one--but if you are patient you can find used/reconditioned ones for around $100.

I have bought and sold instruments on ebay. What you need to do is first look for what brand names are decent beginning instruments for what you are looking to purchase. Then watch some auctions and find those with high ratings who deal regularly in selling instruments. Look at their feedback and what they have sold in the past, or at least look for clues in the description that suggest they know something about the instrument. For example, with a clarinet you want to know how old the pads are and if there is any alignment issues where air leaks, etc. If the price is outstanding but it needs a few new pads, it may still be worth it to you, but it is costly to get a full set of new pads on an instrument.

Violins are where more caution may be warranted, but look for a known brand and check with the seller that the instrument has been inspected, that the person selling knows specifically about violins, or how much it has been played. Sometimes people will sell near new violins their child played for 2 week before quitting. Just ask questions and check the feedback.

My ds took violin for 2 years. Before he started the instructor advised us to buy an inexpensive violin on ebay. His reasoning was with a violin you don't know if you will stick with the instrument. If you decide to stay with violin, by the time you know you want to do this, your dc will need a bigger instrument and you can then get a physically bigger and a higher quality instrument then. The instructor and his wife were concert violinists trained in Russian.

The instrument sounded fine and the cost was less than 3 months of rental.

I have heard from a couple of music teachers that new instruments from China are problematic. Many cannot be tuned well because they haven't stayed to the standards for American instruments.

There are lots of resources for buying an instrument locally that aren't perhaps as cheap as ebay, but at least you have the option of having the instrument examined before purchase. Talk to some music tutors/teachers - we've got one that has about a dozen various instruments available for sale.

I purchased my daughter's clarinet on ebay two years ago and have been very pleased. I talked to the band teacher about what to look for (brand names) and questions to ask. I looked for places that had a return guarantee and had the instrument checked out as soon as I received it. I've probably spent more money on reeds now than I did on the clarinet!

I looked on ebay and saw a lot of clarinets and violins. Dh is worried about purchasing something so cheap. I understand that, but the rental price of those instruments are a bit pricey! IMO

Anyone have experience or thoughts in purchasing instruments off ebay??

Yes. I have purchased 3 violins off eBay. I am very happy with 2 of them. These two were purchased from private sellers--a 1/10 violin from a music program that had to downsize its program and a 4/4 violin from an owner who didn't have time to play anymore. Both were reasonably priced (~$125 for the 1/10 and ~$400 for the 4/4).

I am not as happy with the 1/8 violin I got from a large eBay company that imports its instruments from China. The violin was supposed to have inlaid purfling and an ebony fingerboard--don't think so. It may still sound okay (I accidentally bought one size too large for my dd4 so we haven't used this violin yet). I am irritated that the description doesn't actually match the product. It cost about the same as the 1/10 violin and seems to be lower quality.

Definitely do your homework before you buy off eBay--know what quality workmenship and materials means, get to know good brands, try to research the company, look for reviews. Renting is more expensive, but many businesses have rent-to-own programs where a portion of your rental fee goes toward eventually purchasing an instrument.

And, if you purchase an instrument (especially one of lower quality) do you think you'll be able to recoup your costs if you end up needing to sell it? Will several children (friends/family or younger siblings) possibly make use of the instrument, thus sorta lowering its overall cost? Will the child have to go through several sizes of instruments before s/he gets to full size?

Consider looking on Craigslist. I found an excellent 4/4 cello for sale; the owner just didn't have time to play anymore and wanted his cello to go to a good home. :)

If you go to eBay, I'd recommend looking for private sellers like music programs or families.

Local music stores may sell used instruments, too.

I also purchased a flute for my daughter on Ebay. But first I purchased a flute locally from someone whose daughter was upgrading...my daughter played this flute for the first year of high school band. Then when I knew she was really serious about playing I bought her a high end Gemeinhardt on ebay. It was brand new, still in the plastic wrapper. It has been a wonderful flute.

When our daughter was going into her Freshman year of high school, we couldn't put off buying an open holed flute any longer. We got her a flute/piccolo combo that had been used from a private seller (not a store) on ebay. She had paid well over $1000 for it, and we got it for about $400. We did have it serviced with new pads for about $60, but that is routine maintenance on any flute. It was a great buy. My daughter is now going into her 2nd year of college and still uses it.

When my dd was 6, just turned 6, she was kind of in-between two sizes. She needed the next size up, but we knew it wouldn't be for long. We purchased a cheap violin on e-bay, which came with a bow and 2 sets of strings. It came to $50 total. I guess we lucked out--It was a really good little violin! Her violin teacher was surprised at how good it sounded and that the bow was quite decent for the price we paid for it. She used that for about 4-6 months before needing the next size, and it sounded just as good as the more expensive violins some of the other young kids were using! We had the next size up from one we'd bought for our older ds, knowing dd would probably use it as well. It did sound fuller and nicer. But, for just starting out, she didn't need a name-brand/high-end violin---and we couldn't afford to spend $100 or more for the few months she used it! We sold that violin for $50 at a yard sale, so she basically got free use of the violin for those months! So it CAN work out well, and they're NOT all crummy! :D