Menu

Essential to cover entire Algebra I text?

We still have a LOOOONG way to go in Foerster's, and though we plan to work through a lot of the summer, I think ds could use a bit of a break before jumping into geometry!

He's in 9th now, so I really do want to start Geometry in the fall. I noticed that Jacob's geometry has algebra reviews scattered throughout the book - maybe we could take a couple of "algebra breaks" to finish up chapters?

We've finished chapter 7, and I'd like to know - do we ABSOLUTELY have to finish all the way through 14 to count this as Algebra I? Is there anything we can miss for now?

Dear Natural Mom,

I too have two daughters in Foerster Algebra 1 who found themselves in the same predicament. My daughters worked through Chapter 6, Quadratic Equations, with no difficulties. They reached Chapter 6 in mid-March; it's been rougher going since then, as the difficulty levels in the subsequent chapters progresses at a faster pace.

I've compared the TOC of Foerster's Algebra 1 to other texts, and I've found that all Algebra 1 texts cover the material that Foerster covers in Chapters 1-6 and then usually include several additional topics; however, the second half of Foerster Algebra 1 seems to be more advanced than most Algebra 1 texts. I examined a Larson Algebra 2 text, and observed that it seems to have enough review that a student who has mastered the first half of Foerster Algebra 1 should be able to continue the Algebra 2 sequence with Larson without any difficulties. I also have a Jacobs Gemoetry text, and examined the algebra reviews contained within that text, and all should be easy for a student who has completed Chapters 1-6 of Foerster.

I also found this statement by Foerster in his "Foreward to the Teacher" in the Algebra 1 text: "The first part of the book is carefully sequenced to lead to the Quadratic Formula by mid-year. ... The second part of the book allows more flexibility in selection of sequence and topics to fit students' needs and available time."

I interpret this statement as a yellow light, allowing us to slow down the pace as needed.

You could go ahead and start Geometry--and then add in Algebra for a 'break'.

Finish as much of the Algebra 1 text as you possibly can. While much of the material will be 'reviewed' in Algebra 2--that does not mean that it will be TAUGHT in depth--there will still be expectations. Also the lessons in Algebra 1 will be broken down into smaller to 'digest' pieces--the 'review' in Algebra 2 may lump a whole chapter into one-two lessons... not the best foundation.

It is always better to go as far as you can in one text and have the option to skim the review sections in the next level--much easier than stopping to figure out what you missed!

I agree that the ideal would be to finish the entire book - but I don't think it's even possible to do by fall, considering the other subjects we are catching up on, plus summer activities.

If Chapters 1-6 are the absolute essentials, we may be better off doing a couple more chapters past 7, while we also spend time solidifying some of those earlier chapters. After finishing Chapter 7, we did a review of chapter 6, and then a review of Basic Math (it was needed for things like percents and a couple other topics), and will now review 7 before picking up with chapter 8.

I also like the idea of starting geometry even if we're not quite finished, and then maybe every quarter or so finish another chapter of Algebra. That would keep him stronger in both, also!

I don't know if it would work to have 4 days of geometry and 1 of algebra next fall? It may keep enough variety to not get bogged down with either (or it may be infrequent enough that the algebra is too hard to follow?)

Hi -

My son did Jacob's Algebra in 7th grade but it took about 6 weeks in grade 8 to finish up with it. We then moved onto Jacob's Geometry - but only 4 days a week with the fifth day reserved for doing the Teaching Company's Algebra I DVD (I wanted him to learn about Graphing Calculators, etc. ). We finished up all of the Geometry and the Algebra I DVDs in grade 8 going at a normal speed, not rushing at all.

I don't know if that helps in your decision, but thought I'd share anyways!

Myra

We finish math books unless we're switching methods, and hopefully we're all done with that. Dd will do all of this Algebra 1 book because it's he Best Fit for her. It is different that Foerster's, so I can't compare them; just looking at them to cross reference something was difficult due to different order, styles, things covered.

Our experience...

Last year we were in Saxon Algebra I last year and just "hit the wall" at Lesson 100. So we stopped. Then we started up with Florida Virtual School Algebra II this fall, and he picked right up without difficulty. We usually try to finish all of our math books too, but then I "test through" the next level so we pick up without too much overlap review. In this case, we just stopped early, then did all the review at the next level. It just worked....