Menu

Is there anything similar to The Good and the Beautiful LA or History???

JanaKay

Hi!  First time poster.....long time reader!  I've learned so much about different curricula on this forum, but never bothered to sign up to post on here until tonight...

Do you know of any LA curriculum that integrates art, geography, and beautiful, colorful pictures like The Good and the Beautiful does?  I really like that it's not the same thing every day, every lesson is different, and keeps things interesting.  Also, I am a very visual person and love to look at things that are beautiful!  This curriculum is beautiful!  I kind of like the idea of Total Language Plus for LA, but is there something I could add to it that would bring in some of the beautiful art appreciation, art projects, and geography without adding in a ton of extra curriculum?

Also, the Good and the Beautiful History....Does MOH or SOTW have any kind of beautiful visuals to go along with it?  I can't seem to find anything that would be similar to the "Big Book of History Stories" and the "Maps & Images" the Good and Beautiful history has.   I would have thought someone would have put something like that together for one of these popular curricula!  Am I missing something?  I do think I like the idea of studying more time periods instead of one time period for an entire year.

I like that the Good and the Beautiful doesn't contain a ton of parts/extras and is more minimalist, but still with great content.  Are there more good (and beautiful) curricula out there I just haven't found yet?

Thanks for any responses!

My concerns about The Good and the Beautiful are:

-it's a newer curriculum and it's not "tried and true" like so many others out there.

-am I just caught up in the hype and like it because it has pretty pictures!?!?   :confused1:

-I know it's marketed as a "non-denominational" Christian curriculum, but I do have some concerns about the author being LDS and I wonder if works-    

based vs. grace-based salvation creeps in at all....  Maybe I'm over thinking it?

Mostly, I'm just just curious if there's anything else like it out there, and if there are any great visuals available to go with MOH or SOTW (and why not, if there isn't??) 

We have used TG&TB, and it really is a beautiful program (we are secular, so I've had to make a lot of adjustments in that respect, but it isn't specific to LDS, and I don't feel that it makes a difference as far as the author being LDS- it seems pretty non-denominational IMO). That said, we are currently switching our daughter's to Guest Hollow's Language Arts, and I feel it will provide a more solid grasp on certain things, in a fun way, for them.  As far as history, if you are looking for some visuals for SOTW, I found these beautiful timeline cards (although I haven't used them personally): http://olivegroveeducators.com/product/history-cards-for-ancient-times-set-1-2/

I have some other links somewhere for some nice visuals to go along with SOTW, but I'd have to dig them up to find them. 

My concerns about The Good and the Beautiful are:

-it's a newer curriculum and it's not "tried and true" like so many others out there.

-am I just caught up in the hype and like it because it has pretty pictures!?!? :confused1:

-I know it's marketed as a "non-denominational" Christian curriculum, but I do have some concerns about the author being LDS and I wonder if works-

based vs. grace-based salvation creeps in at all.... Maybe I'm over thinking it?

Mostly, I'm just just curious if there's anything else like it out there, and if there are any great visuals available to go with MOH or SOTW (and why not, if there isn't??)

You needn't have any concerns regarding the author's religion. It truly is non-denominational; there is nothing in any of their products that is anything other than is what is common to any Christian. No doctrine specific to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is included anywhere. It is purposely designed to serve anyone.

We have been using the LA, handwriting, typing, history, and science for some time now and have been nothing but pleased. As the LA levels 1-5 are available as free downloads, take a look and try it out!

Edited by JNDodge

You needn't have any concerns regarding the author's religion. It truly is non-denominational; there is nothing in any of their products that is anything other than is what is common to any Christian. No doctrine specific to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is included anywhere. It is purposely designed to serve anyone.

We have been using the LA, handwriting, typing, history, and science for some time now and have been nothing but pleased. As the LA levels 1-5 are available as free downloads, take a look and try it out!

I beg to differ.  The geography portion of the language arts in 2nd and 3rd clearly state that Pangea broke only a few thousand years ago after/because of the fall of the tower of Babel.  That is not common to most Christians, nor even close to the Catholicism I grew up with.

We went with English Lessons In Literature.  The older ones (numbered) use faith-based copywork and poetry that often shows the poets' kinship with God.  The newer ones (lettered) are secular.  We have had no problem using the older ones, though our religious bent is not that of the author's.  She tends to use pieces that don't rely on scientifically wrong interpretation and we can respect her views without feeling as though they are pressed upon us.

FWIW, OP, we also use Artistic Pursuits, which is a weekly art study.  I bought art cards to substitute for the art in ELTL so I didn't have to download color copies, but I use AP to introduce specific technique and artists.  Many places sell art cards, including Simply Charlotte Mason and Memoria Press, so you can substitute your own with any curriculum you choose.