Menu

Literature and reading curriculum

displace

I’m searching for a curriculum which includes literature review (whole books/poems if possible), and literature analysis (maybe basics like comprehension but looking for more advanced discussion about characters/conflict, etc), for 4/5th grade. I’m trying lightning literature for fourth grade and it’s too basic, just a couple comprehension questions per day, and most discussion not guided, just a review at the end of the book.

I’m not sure if what I want is out there. I’m sure there’s a public school textbook equivalent, but I’m having trouble finding options. As an added bonus, DS (4th) can read grade level or somewhat higher, but comprehension is way beyond reading level. I’m considering just making the books in If The Wolf Were An Octopus series into units for certain books, or doing just certain books from Mensa list a unit study. I’m also considering using books from Book Shark and guides to lead discussion but IDK if the guides review beyond comprehension questions. Because of DS’s huge recall of verbatim details in a story, comprehension questions tend to be just a way to make sure he was listening. It may be I’m trying too hard to combine reading practice with literature and should just focus on them separately (as he tends to listen to audiobooks but we need physical reading practice). But, in the off chance there’s a program out there (or even if book shark has more advanced concepts than just comprehension), I’m game to try.

Edited by displace

Yes, Socratic method is great, and I should just learn more about it for lit discussions. I’m not always able to read along so I was hoping for some minimal guidance as a backup plan. MBYP sounds good. I’ll look into it. I didn’t know there were individual units.

Have you looked at ELTL? It is a whole poem and book approach.

I have to see. What does eltl mean? Something ... through lit? Exploring Lang through lit? Is it a grammar program combined with lit? I may have to skip grammar, but I’ll look into it too.

Not that grammar is bad, just that I’m trying to separate out some stuff because of need. So I don’t “need†a grammar program, but if it’s mentioned while discussing, that’s fine.

Edited by displace

We're using ELTL - English Lessons Through Literature.  I love it, but I don't think it's what you're asking for.  It is more gentle in its approach and doesn't even begin discussing literary elements until the 4th or 5th book.  The literature selections are outstanding, though.

I would suggest reading through the book Deconstructing Penguins no matter what you end up using.  It will help you adjust to the books you choose and find discussion questions.  And in a few years, I'd suggest the BBC program Myths & Legends on Netflix. 

• Like 1

Have you seen Annotating Literary Elements? It can be used for all ages. Once you go through the lessons, you can apply it to everything you read. Short stories, poetry, novels, etc.

https://www.rootedinlanguage.com/shop/annotating-literary-elements

I heard about it through BraveWriter, which is another one to look at. You could work through Arrow Literature guides after a run through Annotating Literary Elements.

• Like 1

Just playing devil's advocate here ;) , but... do you really NEED to be doing beginning literary analysis with 4th/5th grade??

For the average student, grades K-2 are spent in learning to read and becoming fluent with actual reading, while grades 3-6 are spent in developing reading stamina, exposure to vocabulary, and increasing ability to read complex works -- as well as enjoyment of reading through exposure to loads of good and great books. Typically, that sort of more formal literature study is not started until somewhere along in the grade 6-8 range, as analysis requires logic stage development skills, and abstract reasoning that doesn't even begin to start developing in the brain until along about age 12-14.

Of course, if the student is an advanced reader/thinker, or wanting to dig deeper, then that's a different matter and YMMV! :)

But just to extend my "devil's advocate" comment, I'm going to quote myself from a previous post here:

"I always add the caveat of caution about literary analysis in the elementary grades, as sometimes for some students the black-and-white/fact-based thinking of younger ages runs the risk of turning reading Literature into a sort of checklist mentality and students stop there -- permanently: "Found the setting, plot elements, symbolism, and a simile, check, check, check, check! My work here is done!" -- instead of being able to continue to mature and go deeper in the reading and understanding of a work in the high school and adult years, and ultimately finding personal meaning and application, and being able to engage in "The Great Conversation" of the classics that authors and readers have engaged in for centuries."

These two resources might be of help for thinking about keeping a balance:

- Circe Institute, Brian Phillips & David Kern, free podcast: "On Teaching Literature Without Killing It"

- SWB: "What is Literary Analysis (and When to Teach It)" -- free article overview, for a fee downloadable audio lecture

I would also add that those elementary grades are the "window of opportunity" for encouraging a child to explore books and reading, to nurture a developing enjoyment of reading through discovering great books and books that 'speak' to the child, and to make some wonderful reading memories together. There will be lots of time in just a few years (middle school) to do more formal literature studies. :)

​That said, I'm sure you are already doing those things, and you know you child best, and if he is ready and wanting to start learning some literary devices and doing some beginning analysis, then go for it, and wishing you all the BEST! Enjoy your Literature journey, whatever path that takes. :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2