Menu

College Board Test Accomodations

Do you have any experience securing testing accommodations from College Board? I have a 16 year old son who we just had evaluated by Psy.Ed. His IQ is way above normal but his math processing, for example is way below average (.3%). There are also memory and attention deficits.

In order for our local high school to process the request, he’d have to be a registered student. He’s obviously not.

I know that I can submit the application for test accomodations to the College Board myself but I’m scared of messing it up.

Does anyone have any experience with this process? I’d be grateful for your help.

I didn't do it with my dd because she skirted by. Her math score would have gone up a little bit with extended time, but beyond that she survived. 

The ps can be legally compelled to do evals but state law decides if they write an IEP. You're saying they host testing and you were asking them? I would think it all has to go through the College Board. My ds has an IEP. I think the CB just said they're going to roll with what IEPs say and stop being such (no nice words) about it. Seemed like many people had to fight and fight and fight.

Your report should come back from the psych with a written list of recommended accommodations. You'll need to go to the CB site and find the forms and begin the process once you have that written report. I don't think you're going to mess it up. It might take a few tries, if they're still pulling their old stunts, but you'll probably get it there. 

You also might want to try both tests to see if he does better on one or the other. My dd did well with the ACT, so we stuck with that and didn't even try the SAT. Some people have very different results with one or the other, and obviously you want the one that best represents your ds. :)

• Like 1

There is a form you fill out and then as a homeschooler you need to submit documentation to support the request (so a copy of the evaluation report).  

I ended up calling the CB to get clarification on what to do because everything is designed with students who attend traditional schools in mind.  They were very nice and helpful.

• Like 3

I did apply and get accommodations - on the first try. I know some have appealed and then gotten the accommodations.

I talked to College Board, filled out their paperwork, sent a formal evaluation and diagnosis, created my own Educational Plan and summaried accommodations, testing and results through the years, and included a cover letter summarizing everything.

My son received accommodations both through College Board and ACT as well as in college. Will start the process again in a few months for my daughter.

• Like 3

I did apply and get accommodations - on the first try. I know some have appealed and then gotten the accommodations.

I talked to College Board, filled out their paperwork, sent a formal evaluation and diagnosis, created my own Educational Plan and summaried accommodations, testing and results through the years, and included a cover letter summarizing everything.

My son received accommodations both through College Board and ACT as well as in college. Will start the process again in a few months for my daughter.

Who did you call at College Board?  Did you just dial the 800 number and explain your situation.  Where did you get a model/sample IEP?  I am so encouraged to see this. Thank you!

CM

Edited by Linknred92

Call them and they will mail you a packet of info to fill out, complete with instructions on what they need. Here's contact info from the CB website for Services for Students with Disabilities:

Phone: 212-713-8333
Fax: 866-360-0114
TTY: 609-882-4118

College Board SSD Program
P.O. Box 7504
London, KY
40742-7504

I looked at some school IEPs and decided that they really didn't fit a format that I needed. I made up my own format.  I listed diagnoses and dates. I summarized home accommodations through elementary. Starting in 6th grade, I listed accommodations by grade. I also summarized all evaluations in my educational plan chronologically and listed them under the grade age they were done.

I called College Board with my questions and they were helpful. When the website says it takes however many weeks to process - it really takes them that long. ACT turns around an answer quickly, College Board does not.

I submitted the formal evaluations with everything.

I’m going to try to find some IEP samples online. DS had vision therapy in 8tj grade and then a complete evaluation with Psy.Ed. this year. Those are the only evaluations weve done.

Accomodations Gabe always included unlimited time exams. Recently we’ve started open book/note science exams, receiving class notes from teachers, and audio books for literature. Are these the kind of accomodations they’re looking for me to outline?

Again, MANY thanks!

Yes, tell what you have done in your homeschool to accommodate for extra time. If your student has taken classes with an outside provider, even if it's just a co-op class with another mom as a teacher, and that class has tests that the teacher has given your student extra time for, have the teacher write a brief letter that details how she has accommodated the student in class for tests. If it's extra time you're looking for as an accommodation, you need to show specifically how you have utilized that accommodation in your homeschool and how it has benefited your student. I listed every class my student took in his current grade and how accommodations were applied.

Here's what it looked like for one particular class, which was a co-op class I taught so I knew the details and set the time limits:

For the History class, time granted for testing was generous. Tests were bi-weekly and consisted of 40 – 50 multiple choice and short answer questions with a total time of 90 minutes granted to complete each test. Most students in the class finished in 30 – 60 minutes. (Student) generally took 60 – 90 minutes, with an adult present to help with attention and focus.  With this in mind, the 90-minute time limit was set specifically for him. It is for this reason that he did not need extra time for testing in this class.

Hope that helps. If you have the documentation they are looking for and explain why accommodations are needed, that's really all you have to do.

• Like 1

Last January, the College Board released a document outlining changes to the request for test accommodations.

https://www.collegeboard.org/students-with-disabilities/whats-new

They made these changes, following a report they recieved a few years ago?

This report, identified that with some students.  In the months before the college board tests.  Some parents were arranging for their child to be coached on how to fail certain tests for a Disability?

So that they could falsely get certain accommodations, to increase their test scores.

With 'extra time', being a common one.

So they looked for a way to stop this?

What they came up with, was to make a 'documented history of using the accommodations on school tests'.  A major criteria to qualify.

As this would exclude students who had been given a false diagnosis, just prior to the college board tests.

Where it seems reasonable, that if a student wants test accommodations?  Then they should have a documented history of their usage on school tests.

But I note, that they don't provide any advice for home-schooled students.  As to what is acceptable? 

Where I wonder if we could write and submit a request. For the College Board to issue a notice, clarifying what Home-schooled students need to provide?

Which we would ask members of this Learning Challenges Board to co-sign?

Though, this would need two clarifications?  For currently younger and older students?

For older students, parents most often wouldn't have documented the use of accommodations on tests?

So what would be acceptable?

But for younger students, they could advise parents about how to develop a documented history?

Which perhaps could be a notarised, dated letter. Stating the accommodations used on current tests?

Last January, the College Board released a document outlining changes to the request for test accommodations.

https://www.collegeboard.org/students-with-disabilities/whats-new

They made these changes, following a report they recieved a few years ago?

This report, identified that with some students. In the months before the college board tests. Some parents were arranging for their child to be coached on how to fail certain tests for a Disability?

So that they could falsely get certain accommodations, to increase their test scores.

With 'extra time', being a common one.

So they looked for a way to stop this?

What they came up with, was to make a 'documented history of using the accommodations on school tests'. A major criteria to qualify.

As this would exclude students who had been given a false diagnosis, just prior to the college board tests.

Where it seems reasonable, that if a student wants test accommodations? Then they should have a documented history of their usage on school tests.

But I note, that they don't provide any advice for home-schooled students. As to what is acceptable?

Where I wonder if we could write and submit a request. For the College Board to issue a notice, clarifying what Home-schooled students need to provide?

Which we would ask members of this Learning Challenges Board to co-sign?

Though, this would need two clarifications? For currently younger and older students?

For older students, parents most often wouldn't have documented the use of accommodations on tests?

So what would be acceptable?

But for younger students, they could advise parents about how to develop a documented history?

Which perhaps could be a notarised, dated letter. Stating the accommodations used on current tests?

I genuinely struggle with this. I have always understood that extra time benefits the student with cognitive deficits, and that nt students tend to score lower on exams where extra time is provided.

I never bothered with College Board. I was placed on hold far too many times to bother and took the ACT route instead.

When I applied to ACT for extended time, I included the dates DS was accommodated for SAT-10 with a letter from the testing co-ordinator. ACT took exactly two weeks to provide approval.

Edited by Heathermomster

• 2 weeks later...

When submitting an application for accomodations, does the College Board approve or deny the request in its entirety or will the approve some of the requests and deny others?  Is there an advantage in asking for minimal requests or will they consider each accommodation independently?  TIA.

I have been able to get accommodations for my son for the ACT and through the College Board. I found the process to be a little more difficult with the College Board but we did get approved fairly quickly once I got all the paperwork in. I wrote a blogpost with the steps for both if that would be helpful. Just remember if they deny your request, appeal and give more detail. Many times appeals end up being approved.