Menu

Middle School Chemistry

Jackie

Im looking for Chemistry for a young, advanced student. We have already done lots of random pieces, so I’m looking for an actual laid out curriculum at this point rather than more individual books and labs. I’m thinking middle school level would be best, because the elementary stuff has been covered but she doesn’t yet have Algebra. I’m only interested in secular options, and I prefer a decent amount of labs and something reasonably easy for me to teach. The ACS Middle School curriculum or Conceptual Chemistry are possibilities. Any reviews on these? Or other suggestions?

We are doing Athena's Chemistry classes this year, which is paired with Real Science 4 Kids Middle School Chem (we use these for samples), along with a Mel chemistry subscription and chemistry games. I have heard good things about the labs in the Rainbow and Spectrum chemistry. It's not secular, but is supposedly easy to secularize. I don't know how true that is, though. There are some past threads on this topic if you google. 

Edited by SeaConquest

I didn't care for The Rainbow science text, but my older dc enjoyed the labs. We are using Science Explorer physical science from Prentice Hall. Older editions are cheap on Amazon. Half chem topics, and half physics topics. It also comes as a series of thin books, so if you try it, order carefully.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

So would you prefer true middle school level?  Or high school level without the math?

Several people have already mentioned the ACS materials.  There is also Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry.  I used The Elements with my younger son when he was 9yo and he loved it.  

If you want high school school level without the math, you could do the chemistry chapters Conceptual Physical Science Explorations.  This is an adapted version of Conceptual Chemistry (and Conceptual Physics) that targets 9th graders.  Conceptual Chemistry itself is a bit more dense and I would say it is also more true high school level, since it was originally intended for college students.  Another text that has potential is Chemistry in the Community though it might be a stretch to adapt it for homeschool use.

I used Conceptual Chemistry with my older son when he was in 8th grade (he had already completed Algebra I).  I ended up adding in the math and every time I did, he understood the chemistry better.  It made me realize that the math actually makes chemistry more understandable, not less.  Because of this, I waited until my younger son was ready for a regular high school chemistry course to delve into it beyond the McHenry materials.  I'm glad I did, as it turned out to be his favorite course that year to the point of him considering chemistry as a college major.

• Like 2

Right now, it’s looking like the ACS materials may be our choice for now, with one of the Conceptual line down the road. The Conceptual Physical Science Explorations looks like it may be a good choice for next year. I think she would be fine with either middle school or high school materials without the math, but tbh this lets me stretch things out a bit further.

We’ve done McHenry’s Elements, and may even revisit it this time around. As she gets more advanced, I’m less comfortable trying to secularize nonsecular options. I’m comfortable with chemistry itself through high school level, but not so much as trying to find what might be left out.

We’ve done McHenry’s Elements, and may even revisit it this time around. As she gets more advanced, I’m less comfortable trying to secularize nonsecular options.

Are you saying that you found The Elements to be nonsecular?  I know that McHenry is a Christian, but I didn't notice anything nonsecular about The Elements--and I'm usually on high alert for such things!

Edited by EKS

Ellen McHenry is not truly secular. The Elements seemed secular but I do not know enough to know if there was some non secular aspects. Cells definitely has non secular aspects like not classifying things correctly in a way that religious resources does and videos that left out the missing link etc. She even debates plate tectonics in a newer curriculum so I no longer it as a source.

• Like 1

Are you saying that you found The Elements to be nonsecular? I know that McHenry is a Christian, but I didn't notice anything nonsecular about The Elements--and I'm usually on high alert for such things!

Sorry, that was bad phrasing on my part. I was responding to multiple things and didn’t separate them out as well as I should have. The Elements is secular. I’ve heard Carbon Chemistry is not, though I don’t have that one. I have Botany and it definitely leans a bit to Intelligent Design, but at a level I still felt comfortable secularizing myself.

Sorry, that was bad phrasing on my part. I was responding to multiple things and didn’t separate them out as well as I should have. The Elements is secular. I’ve heard Carbon Chemistry is not, though I don’t have that one. I have Botany and it definitely leans a bit to Intelligent Design, but at a level I still felt comfortable secularizing myself.

I don't have it either, but I've heard the same thing.