Menu

Should I teach augmented matrices in Algebra 2?

Is the method of solving multiple equations with multiple unknowns using augmented matrices still a valuable thing to teach?  Do any of you know if AoPS does this?

My kids are asking why couldn't they use the first result to get the second by substitution and then just put it in the augmented matrix. So they get the top row to 1   0   C  substitute the C for x, get y and write 0   y#   C

I learned augmented matrix in the 80s in Singapore math (7th-10th grade series). It is also covered in MEP Math.

Matrices are very lightly covered in math here in the states, both in textbooks and in standardized tests. It is on two pages in McDougal Littell Algebra 2 California edition (pre common core) textbook I have.

Whether it is valuable to learn is always subjective. I need it in college but I could also have easily learned it when I need it.

McDougal Littell’s 2 page pdf on classzone http://www.classzone.com/eservices/home/pdf/teacher/LA204FAD.pdf

Thank you all for the information about current practices and the opinions you gave. With my current students I think we will spend our time on doing more linear combination and substitution. One of mine is making tons of little errors on 3 X 3 linear combination problems.  

What is your opinion about 3 x 3 determinants?  We did 2 x 2. I'm inclined to say yes to doing 3 x 3 but am curious about your thoughts on those.

What is your opinion about 3 x 3 determinants?  We did 2 x 2. I'm inclined to say yes to doing 3 x 3 but am curious about your thoughts on those.

Most of my students have never seen this in highschool.

I taught it to my own kids, but they like math and want to go into physics.

Edited by regentrude