Menu

BBC Radio & US Military Ranks

poppy

On BBC radio, the newsreader said Michael Flynn is a retired Lieutenant. General..... but he pronounced it Lef-tenant.    Is this correct?   I kind of assumed titles, like names, would be pronounced with fidelity to the original language. 

I think that it goes by the pronunciation of the broadcasting country, except for names.  So I would expect to hear Lyoo-tenant in the US, even when talking about a Brit, and Lef-tenant in the UK even when talking about an American.  On the other hand, I would expect in both countries that Berkeley would be Burk-lee if talking about a US place and Bark-lee if talking about a UK place.

I'm trying to think of another example like lieutenant.  

I think that it goes by the pronunciation of the broadcasting country, except for names.  So I would expect to hear Lyoo-tenant in the US, even when talking about a Brit, and Lef-tenant in the UK even when talking about an American.  On the other hand, I would expect in both countries that Berkeley would be Burk-lee if talking about a US place and Bark-lee if talking about a UK place.

I'm trying to think of another example like lieutenant.  

That was my thought. I also couldn't think of another example. 

Here's one.  If a UK food programme were doing an item about a US herb grower, it would not say 'urb' but 'hurb'.  Because that is the pronunciation of the broadcaster.  But back to lieutenant - I suspect it doesn't count as part of the name.

• Like 2

Another thought.  When talking about the French president, the title is pronounced in the British way on the BBC, then the surname is pronounced with an attempt at the French.  Similarly with the chancellor of Germany.  So again, the title stays with the broadcaster's pronunciation.

Hmmmm.

This is interesting.

So if I wrote a book "Best Eggplant Recipes" they would use those exact words, but if I was the president of the eggplant lobby, they'd referred to me as president of the aubergine lobby?

Hmmmm.

This is interesting.

So if I wrote a book "Best Eggplant Recipes" they would use those exact words, but if I was the president of the eggplant lobby, they'd referred to me as president of the aubergine lobby?

No, I think that the US word would be used.  We are only talking about pronunciations of titles here, not different words.  

However 'eggplant' would come with a gloss for meaning.  Something like, 'Poppy Field, President of the US Eggplant Lobby, representing aubergine growers in that country.....'

• Like 2

I say urbal not herbal and think that most people do that too. Though I probably don't always pay that much attention. I do know that people here often say vee-hical, where as I say vee-ical, with the h silent. Usually here I hear newscasters at least trying to pronounce names correctly.

Well, as a Canadian, I'm used to hearing that rank pronounced the American way if it is refering to an actual American officer, but the British/Canadian way the rest of the time.  If it's talking about the rank in an abstract way, I think the style guide would probably have it the Canadian way, even if talking about an American context.  That's a guess on my part though.

As a Canadian, I use leftenant if talking about a Canadian or UK rank, and lootenant if talking about a US rank. If I'm not sure of a different country's pronounciation, I hem and haw a bit and then probably use leftenant. I also explain that to the kids when reading or whatever.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk