Menu

Math Curriculum Preferences?

Continuing to wet my feet by asking questions about curriculum, as I will be pulling my kids out of public school next year:

Can I please hear your recommendations for math? I hear Saxon is most like a public school textbook. My soon-to-be 5th grader works at grade level, but was frustrated to tears the first time she saw long division at the beginning of the year. (She seems to have it covered now  :)). My soon-to-be 3rd grader does math in his head (including times tables since first grade!) and hates to have to write out his work. 

Suggestions? I think I'll probably need two different programs for these two.  :lurk5:

Edited by kristamaranatha

I hear Saxon is most like a public school textbook.

Saxon is *nothing* like the public school texts here.  It teaches directly.  PS teaches...well, they don't really teach--the kids are supposed to "discover" the math on their own.  Saxon teaches incrementally.  The PS texts spiral (which is different from incremental--incremental development means that it comes back to the concept many times over the course of the year, spiraling means that it comes back every year).  Saxon has a *ton* of review.  PS texts generally don't.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 3

Fourth grade is just a very hard math year. So keep that in mind.

Your mathy kid is easier. Look at Beast Academy for sure. But also look at Singapore and MEP.

For your dd... just depends. Now that she's over the worst of it, maybe she's ready for more conceptual challenge and Singapore or Math Mammoth or something would be good. Maybe she needs something like CLE where it's broken down a little more? I had one kid do mostly MM and MEP. The other did Miquon followed by the Beast levels that were out and then a hodge podge of stuff. I don't think there's one answer for what's *the* right math. The right one is the one that you can teach and she can learn with.

• Like 4

If you are looking for materials that are Common Core aligned because that is what they are used to, I'll put in a plug for Math Mammoth Light Blue Program.  If you're avoiding Common Core because of the crazy stupid problems they put in PS curriculum, don't let that scare you.  Maria has done a great job making a program that is fairly workable.  There are probably twice as many problems as a child may need.  I thus use 1/3 or half of the problems as examples to work through after the very-well written instructions.  (Saxon was a disaster here because it is nothing like PS anymore. It was used in our district the year before my DS11 started school, but he hated it when we tried it at home.)

I love the digital edition because I can print the pages over as needed, as well as using 3rd and 4th grade for a second time.  It's been a great value and huge money saver for our homeschool, but don't let money be the only motivator.  Try printing some of her samples (she has tons!) and see if it looks familiar to your children, and if they find it interesting or repulsive. 

I use whatever math program fits the kid.  It sounds corny, but I basically lay a bunch of math stuff on the table and let them pick what looks interesting.  So, for this school year, I have:

dd15: Saxon Algebra 2 + Murderous Maths series

ds14: Life of Fred Beginning Algebra + Zaccaro's How to be a Problem-Solving Genius

dd12: Art of Problem Solving + living math books

dd9: living math

We did several years of Singapore math, so I am pretty partial to that one.

Edited to add: And for the right kid, Saxon can be a great math program.  I actually learned a lot helping dd/checking her work.  She prefers Saxon at this point.  (And for years, I said I hated the look of Saxon)

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 1

Schools use such different things these days. Some schools use Saxon with it's drill style, some use these spiral programs with tons of calculator work, some use Singapore, and everything in between. And they all have Common Core stickers on them, not that it means much. I think Saxon is probably the most like the math that anyone over 35 saw in school themselves. Or, is most like the stereotypical idea of "math textbook" that you may have in your head.

I'm not a fan of it at all. I think it focuses on repetitive drilling over deeper understanding. But... some kids may need that. And, really, it's not the worst and might be the best for some. Like I said, everyone has a preference... but focus on what you and your kids need and find your own that way.

LOL, my mathy kid did not love long division either.  And he can pretty much calculate at will in his head.  So there's that.

We have used Singapore from Kindergarten and I love the program, but I'm not sold on the idea of starting it with an older student who is not accustomed to the Singapore way.  Perhaps if she has a background with bar models, number bonds, etc.  But part of the reason "Common Core" Math was such a flop in the early years it was rolled out was because they took this Singaporean approach and launched it on all of these students who had never experienced conceptual math before.  But for those students who were introduced to that approach from earlier grades, they were more successful, as they had not been drilled with the plug n' chug method for several years.  

So that said...Singapore is solid.  But prepare to spend time learning how to teach math in that way, and prepare for your older student to "not get it" for awhile.  I am teaching the 5th grade year right now, and you know...I don't think there's actually that much of the part-whole stuff...so maybe it would be fine for 5th.  

For your rising 3rd grader, Beast Academy is a great choice, but I don't care for it on its own.  There is a lot of parlor math in there, and without review opportunities, much of it can be easily forgotten (depending on the kid, of course).  Beast IS rolling out an online suite, which should address the lack of review, but it will be an extra expense.  

I use Singapore combined with Beast for my 10 yr old.  He works in Beast a half grade to a full grade behind Singapore and it's his summer math as well.  They complement each other well.  

Another great add-in would be Prodigy Math.  I use it for spiral review of topics that my kids have already learned, to keep those concepts fresh.  I also use it to target weak areas.  The kids really love it.  And it's free, so...bonus.  

Schools use such different things these days. Some schools use Saxon with it's drill style, some use these spiral programs with tons of calculator work, some use Singapore, and everything in between. And they all have Common Core stickers on them, not that it means much. I think Saxon is probably the most like the math that anyone over 35 saw in school themselves. Or, is most like the stereotypical idea of "math textbook" that you may have in your head.

I'm not a fan of it at all. I think it focuses on repetitive drilling over deeper understanding. But... some kids may need that. And, really, it's not the worst and might be the best for some. Like I said, everyone has a preference... but focus on what you and your kids need and find your own that way.

Just to disagree to the bolded. I have taught 4 kids using Saxon. My oldest has a math brain -- always has -- and Saxon did not kill his joy of math. One of mine was the most sought after tutor in the math lab at her college because she could explain what was happening with the numbers, not just give the formulas. My youngest is in calculus (Saxon) right now. As we go through the lessons, her brain makes the leaps and most times she sees the math behind the process and goes further than the lesson teaches, so she is already understanding the next increment even before it is taught. She has a deep understanding. All have done very well and are in math careers. Non have had problems in college. Saxon gets a bad rap.  Look at the curriculum. See if it works for your children and for you.

• Like 1

Fourth grade is just a very hard math year. So keep that in mind.

Your mathy kid is easier. Look at Beast Academy for sure. But also look at Singapore and MEP.

For your dd... just depends. Now that she's over the worst of it, maybe she's ready for more conceptual challenge and Singapore or Math Mammoth or something would be good. Maybe she needs something like CLE where it's broken down a little more? I had one kid do mostly MM and MEP. The other did Miquon followed by the Beast levels that were out and then a hodge podge of stuff. I don't think there's one answer for what's *the* right math. The right one is the one that you can teach and she can learn with.

This! and since you can't predict the second part, I highly recommend focusing on the first part, which self-sacrificing homeschooling parents often neglect.

You will be able to convey a confidence and comfort with and enthusiasm for mathematics and communicate clearly if you first focus on finding a program that makes sense to you and fits your own needs. Find samples of teacher's guides online for a few of your main contenders and see if they make sense to you. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to communicate a mathematical concept that you understand well but cannot articulate (and being stumped by the guide that is supposed to be your tool). A good teacher's guide will help you demonstrate and articulate the concepts you know.

I really like the online course "How to Learn Math for Teachers."

If you are going the Singapore route (which I think would work well for your younger), I would say that the Primary Mathematics (the original PM) is probably a better fit than Math in Focus, which involves more of the "math journal" type activities. The nice thing about doing this program with your younger is that you could probably use some of the conceptual techniques to help teach your older child, even if you end up using a more procedural approach for her curriculum.

Good luck and enjoy wetting your feet!