What's with the ads?

#251 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11811 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

I'm not sure how you are defining "rural," "average situation," or "expected as the norm."

I do understand that within rural areas of some states, there can be fewer opportunities for taking AP classes or participating in local youth orchestras, etc. So, yes, there can be fewer resources in truly rural areas.

Rural is defined by the state.

There is no 'can be' . It is. Instead of youth orchestra, one drives to the nearest CC and participates in their orchestra one night a week. One drives at least an hour for private lessons. Getting together with the pianist for an all state audition is a major effort. AP is extremely limited- its DE or drive in to.the CC, or attend the CC. All the extra resources go to sn and enl,and the district won't put a compelled student on the sn bus that goes to the provider next to the cc. If parents can't drive him in, they have to hire someone. And the student can't attend any high school other than zoned here, so if he happened to need AP,found a school on someones commute route and tried to enroll, he would find a no, as there just are not enough seats.he ends up self studying. Then he gets to college and meets students who had opportunities and realizes the injustice. He won't be returning to his home county. The people don't want him.

Edited by Heigh Ho, 24 May 2017 - 06:27 AM.

• Hoggirl and dmmetler like this

#252 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23902 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:13 PM

I'm sorry medical school applications didn't work out for your son this year.  Our daughter had the advantage that  I am a physician and her brother is currently a surgery resident. (His experiences regarding school fit and applications were much more relevant than mine.) Because of this I'm really not sure how good her pre-med advising was or was not.

Just updating here too... off waitlist!   :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall.  I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed.  If so, we're eternally grateful.

• Hoggirl, Sebastian (a lady), Laurel-in-CA and 28 others like this

#253 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4340 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

Just updating here too... off waitlist! :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall. I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed. If so, we're eternally grateful.

👍👏👏👏
  • creekland likes this

#254 snowbeltmom

snowbeltmom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

Just updating here too... off waitlist!   :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall.  I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed.  If so, we're eternally grateful.

This is awesome news!  So happy for your son!

• creekland likes this

#255 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18740 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

Glad to hear the good news creekland!
  • creekland likes this

#256 mumto2

mumto2

Hive Mind Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6196 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

Just updating here too... off waitlist! :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall. I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed. If so, we're eternally grateful.

Great news!!!!! Congratulations!
  • creekland likes this

#257 Penguin

Penguin

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3526 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

Awesome news! So happy for him and your family :)
  • creekland and Gratia271 like this

#258 Danestress

Danestress

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7511 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

A friend of mine talked about that. She said that when you're young, you don't know too many people who've had bad things happen to them. But the time you're 40, you know someone whose died in a motorcycle accident, you know someone whose spouse died young, you know someone who *fill in the blank.*

And once you start knowing people who've had bad things happen to them, you get more cautious and start to wonder if you'll be next. When you're young you think, "Oh, I don't know anyone whose actually had that happen!" So it's not as real that bad things can happen when you're young.

True in some ways for me. I am much more anxious about risks my children undertake and more aware of how dumb people are. I am convinced that if I water ski on a nice weekend, some drunk idiot will plow into me in a boat. I am more careful driving, more afraid of drunk drivers, and more alert to personal safety in public.

But I also find myself more free to take risks for myself if It's something I really want to do. I am more willing to hike in tricky places, swim across a current, etc. I would love to try caving. I did read descent, and would still try it.

My youngest are 19. I have fulfilled my biological function, and it is very freeing.
  • Vida Winter, Nan in Mass, swimmermom3 and 3 others like this