What's with the ads?

#251 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11213 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:21 AM

I'm not sure how you are defining "rural," "average situation," or "expected as the norm."

I do understand that within rural areas of some states, there can be fewer opportunities for taking AP classes or participating in local youth orchestras, etc. So, yes, there can be fewer resources in truly rural areas.

Rural is defined by the state.

There is no 'can be' . It is. Instead of youth orchestra, one drives to the nearest CC and participates in their orchestra one night a week. One drives at least an hour for private lessons. Getting together with the pianist for an all state audition is a major effort. AP is extremely limited- its DE or drive in to.the CC, or attend the CC. All the extra resources go to sn and enl,and the district won't put a compelled student on the sn bus that goes to the provider next to the cc. If parents can't drive him in, they have to hire someone. And the student can't attend any high school other than zoned here, so if he happened to need AP,found a school on someones commute route and tried to enroll, he would find a no, as there just are not enough seats.he ends up self studying. Then he gets to college and meets students who had opportunities and realizes the injustice. He won't be returning to his home county. The people don't want him.

Edited by Heigh Ho, Yesterday, 06:27 AM.

#252 creekland

creekland

Retired homeschooler!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21662 posts

Posted Today, 05:13 PM

I'm sorry medical school applications didn't work out for your son this year.  Our daughter had the advantage that  I am a physician and her brother is currently a surgery resident. (His experiences regarding school fit and applications were much more relevant than mine.) Because of this I'm really not sure how good her pre-med advising was or was not.

Just updating here too... off waitlist!   :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall.  I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed.  If so, we're eternally grateful.

• Vida Winter, MerryAtHope, frogger and 2 others like this

#253 seekinghim45

seekinghim45

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3857 posts

Posted Today, 05:24 PM

Just updating here too... off waitlist! :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall. I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed. If so, we're eternally grateful.

👍👏👏👏
  • creekland likes this

#254 snowbeltmom

snowbeltmom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3258 posts

Posted Today, 05:36 PM

Just updating here too... off waitlist!   :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall.  I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed.  If so, we're eternally grateful.

This is awesome news!  So happy for your son!

• creekland likes this

#255 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16988 posts

Posted Today, 05:54 PM

Glad to hear the good news creekland!
  • creekland likes this

#256 mumto2

mumto2

Hive Mind Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5799 posts

Posted Today, 06:06 PM

Just updating here too... off waitlist! :party: He's officially going to be part of the incoming class at U of R's Med School this fall. I suspect (but don't know) that some of his doctor acquaintances (from shadowing) might have had some input considering they took him under their wing for reapplying this coming year had it been needed. If so, we're eternally grateful.

Great news!!!!! Congratulations!
  • creekland likes this