Menu

My dd's Calculus class

Night Elf

Tomorrow is the last day of school. Finals start Friday. She has a Calculus quiz every Tuesday. Today's quiz had 3 questions:

What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is your favorite color?

I guess he's being funny but it sure would be nice if he gave some extra credit for being in class and taking that quiz.

• Like 5

to seek the holy grail!

And yeah I've done quizzes like that as the last quiz of the semester. The students tend to love 'em since I assign points for writing anything at all and by then I don't need the threat of quizzes to get them to actually study the homework instead of just copying off the smart one. 

• Like 4

Tomorrow is the last day of school. Finals start Friday. She has a Calculus quiz every Tuesday. Today's quiz had 3 questions:

What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is your favorite color?

I guess he's being funny but it sure would be nice if he gave some extra credit for being in class and taking that quiz.

The bolded is precisely the purpose of the quiz. It's a reward to students who bother attending class this late in the semester.

• Like 9

Did the class consist of taking the quiz, and that's it?   Or was there some instruction too?

When I drop my kids off at CC I've noticed that the number of cars in the parking lot is diminishing as we get closer to the end of the semester.  My kids say that people are "using up their skips."   Maybe the instructor just wanted people to show up to class in the last few days?

ETA: Regentrude answered my question before I asked it!  :-)

Edited by marbel

I'm assuming she's in full class. She just texted me when she turned in her paper. I'm hoping today is a question/answer review day. There surely can't be new material. At least I hope not. This is the last class. She doesn't have Calculus on Wednesdays. Her final exam is Monday so she has the weekend to review but there are some concepts she could really use some teacher review.

I don't think she's ever seen Monty Python.

ETA: She doesn't have Calculus class on Thursday, so she will have class tomorrow too.

Edited by Night Elf

Besides the 100, that type of quiz is so fast that it allows anyone that has questions time to ask. Use the extra time wisely.

Those missing cars...those may be people who dropped late or if past the drop date, they may be mathematically eliminated from passing.

DD's CC has a lot more kids in the library and the various study spots around campus (Finals start Monday). However, they also provide free food, so that may be more a draw than actually studying. It actually kind of makes me laugh as to how many frills are provided for students this week and next week-there are free massages at various days/times, snacks all over the place, multiple spots to get your scantrons, blue books, and pencils, animals from the local shelter to cuddle and so on. It seems like each campus club or organization is offering some sort of study session that includes extras, too. DD is quite enjoying her first final season (of course, she also did the study guide/quiz and got a perfect score without looking anything up.).

• Like 1