Menu

Recommend an "extra" science between Chemistry and Physics?

My DS is in 9th grade this year, and has gotten a bit ahead of the typical science schedule because of some opportunities for classes at local co-ops.   He's a STEM focused student, and his current plan (which I realize might change) is to pursue an appointment to a Service Academy (particularly USNA or USAFA) and major in Aeronautical Engineering.   His science/math sequence looks like:

8th grade:   Algebra I / Biology

9th grade:  Geometry / Chemistry  (this year)

10th grade:  Algebra II / ___________ (see below)

11th grade:  Precalculus / Physics (Honors)

12th grade:  DE or AP Calculus / DE or AP Physics

Because Algebra II seems to be a required prerequisite before taking Physics, I'd really like him to wait a year before taking Physics.   So if you were in a position to recommend/choose a different science in between Chemistry and Physics with his university & career goals, which of the following would you recommend?   These are the options we have available locally through our local high school and/or online virtual school, but I'm also open to other suggestions if there's something else I'm missing.

Astronomy (Honors...this is probably his first choice for a "fun" class, but I'm not sure if it's the best choice considering his goals.   Not a lab-based course.)

Marine Science (Honors, includes lab)

Earth/Space Science (Honors, no lab)

AP Environmental Science (includes lab)

Anatomy & Physiology (Honors, includes lab.....but this is the only option he really does NOT want to take)

Thank you!

My DS is in 9th grade this year, and has gotten a bit ahead of the typical science schedule because of some opportunities for classes at local co-ops.   He's a STEM focused student, and his current plan (which I realize might change) is to pursue an appointment to a Service Academy (particularly USNA or USAFA) and major in Aeronautical Engineering.   His science/math sequence looks like:

Astronomy (Honors...this is probably his first choice for a "fun" class, but I'm not sure if it's the best choice considering his goals.   Not a lab-based course.)

I would find Astronomy the most logical choice for a student who is interested in Aeronautical Engineering.

He can still do three other lab sciences. Or you can design a lab for the astronomy course if you feel it is important.

• Like 3

There are lots of interesting options out there.  Oldest did Marine Biology (not Apologia) and Equine Science.  Youngest did Genetics. 

Is he going more toward "rocket science" or avionics?  If he is leaning more toward an emphasis in avionics and technology, then perhaps a Robotics program or Computer Science would be beneficial.

Aviation Science and Meteorology are good ideas.  I'm wondering if he will have enough physics background from physical science to really grasp some of the concepts though.  I suppose it depends on the text you chose.  Earth and Space would be very interesting too.

You might wish to check to see if your area science center offers classes - Last summer DS took "Flight Academy" at ours it was only a week long class, but packed with information- bonus he piloted a small plane for 30 mins.

• Like 1

LETU has some aviation science courses on their online class list: http://www.letu.edu/opencms/export/sites/default/_Admissions/dualcredit/16-17_Dual_Credit_Courses_-Online.pdf    (Last year's list, but I was told this year's will be similar.)

My DS did Aeroscholars this past fall. He enjoyed it, but it wasn't super-challenging for a student who is already an aviation nut.

• Like 1