Menu

Armour Thyroid --I have a question.

TammyinTN

I've been on Armour for about 4 years now.   It was great when I first started.   Right now though...I seriously feel like I am slogging through my days.   My dosage is 90 mg in the morning and 60 in the afternoon..my labs are all good...but I just feel so tired. 

Has anyone changed to a different NDT because you feel under-treated?   I hope I explained this well enough for you to understand what I'm feeling.  

Thank you!! 

I don't switch brands, I adjust my dose upward. Some days I take two grains instead of one, if I'm feeling blah. My doctors tell me that I can adjust for my symptoms as needed, especially during pregnancy, and not everyone has the same needs every day. Given your doses though, I'd assume something else is going on.

I did try Westhroid and Naturethroid NDTs but they were less effective.

Do verify you're getting enough b12, iron, vitamin d, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and possibly zinc too. Deficiencies in other areas can show up in those similar symptoms but aren't mediated by the thyroid.

Edited by Arctic Mama

If your dosage is no longer working for you then you need to be checked out again by an endocrinologist because your body likely has changed.

So many "thyroid" symptoms are actually quite generic and can be caused by many different conditions.  Go see an endo and get checked out thoroughly.  You may have something else going on that is causing your symptoms.

• Like 1

It is well known in thyroid circles that the formulation of Armour changed and with that it increased in price and many people feel that it doesn't work as well. Knowing that I would switch in a heartbeat. Your labs being "good" doesn't mean much and as our body's change our needs do as well.

• Like 1

What are you numbers? Free t3 & freet4, reverse t3?

What about

Iron - 4 labs

D3

How are you adrenals? 24 hr cortisol?

What did your dr say?

My ND has me on wp thyroid, but we're playing with dosing, and have barely started with adrenals.

• Like 1

I agree with the other recommendations, and suggest you try chewing the Armour thyroid tablets. Armour was reformulated and is now in a cellulose base; chewing releases the hormone from the cellulose.

and don't eat for an hour after taking it.

are you doing a single dose or split dose?

• Like 1

I don't think it is required that you don't eat after with NDT, just with synthetics.13731665_1573241792979272_59938631719098

That is really interesting. My number were not great two months ago and before uping my dose my dr suggested I make sure to take the second on an empty stomach. The next time I had my blood drawn my numbers were high enough that he asked if I was having any hyper symptoms. I had only changed the timing of the second dose. It is nature thyroid and it changed my life!

• Like 1

Here's the thing...my endo wants me to drop another 30 mgs---to 60 twice a day....I think I'll be comatose if I do that.  I'm thinking of buying Thyroid S and doing it myself ---my husband is a pharmacist and will have a cow, but I'm so over feeling like this...my hair is falling out, no energy ...clearly I'm hypo, right?  

• Like 1

Here's the thing...my endo wants me to drop another 30 mgs---to 60 twice a day....I think I'll be comatose if I do that. I'm thinking of buying Thyroid S and doing it myself ---my husband is a pharmacist and will have a cow, but I'm so over feeling like this...my hair is falling out, no energy ...clearly I'm hypo, right?

Not at all - that was one of my signals I was having malabsorption and adrenal issues, and adding my thyroid didn't fix it. I'd get a second opinion from another diagnostician or integrated medicine doctor.