Menu

Spelling and dyslexia

Pipsqueak4

I need suggestions for my 11 year old dyslexic son- he reads at 9th grade level with almost perfect recall during narration and understands content but spells at 1rst grade level with phonics rules not sticking at all. I am hesitant to try a program with a lot of rule memorization as we have gone this route with a lot of frustration. He is an auditory learner if that helps narrow it down. I am interested in phonetic zoo because of the listening, but I think it may begin at too high a level? I don't know of others geared for this mixture of high reading and very low spelling level.

Hmmm, I have Level A of Apples and Pears on the shelf. I may have to revisit it. When I first looked thru it, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the particular choice of words for the lesson. I'll go back and look with fresh eyes:)

• 2 months later...

Memorizing rules has so far been next to impossible .bbit we still work at it, I don't have as much concern spelling ( I know it's an important tool to be a good reader) but if they can , fir us, read and interpret , and implement well the information ?

For me I'm OK with not frustrating them more with spelling . they'll have spellcheck in college and as adult. They'll have it HS too. Heck, they have it now.

I've gone morwryping things when we can. They have to look for the letter or at least be trying to remember finder position that fir my boys , they are constantly saying it to remember if haha.

Guess that's where wm can benefit lol.

I kinda wanna try apples and pears

• Like 1

Have you looked at All About Spelling? That really helped my kids (my oldest was also 11 when we started). It's multisensory, so it combines visual, auditory, and kinesthetic methods. It does teach the rules (but one at a time so they can master them gradually), but doesn't focus just on those--it teaches 4 main effective spelling strategies: phonetic, rules-based, visual, and morphemic. Good spellers tend to need combine approaches, depending on the word.

You may also want to check out their Dyslexia Resources page. 

Hope you find something that is a good fit for your son!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I second Merry's suggestion for ​All About Spelling. ​It is structured and systematic. The big thing is to do lots of practice with individual words using the tiles and spelling single words from dictation. Then move to short phrases. And good amounts of review to keep concepts fresh.

Has your son had any assessment which might explain the wide discrepancy between his reading and spelling?

BTW- my son had a similar discrepancy. A structured, systematic approach with a highly qualified tutor who could adjust his program carefully made a big difference. He still does not spell well, but well enough that he is able to write via keyboard without slowing his thoughts down too much.  

Edited by Tokyomarie