Menu

TriMathlon 2015

Spring Flower

I'm hoping DS10 can participate this year!  We didn't know about it until just before the summer - and this is the last year he is eligible to participate.  I was going to sign him up yesterday, but I'm still waiting on the season schedule...hoping that we can make it work!  Fingers crossed for a morning game.  I still have the tab open to register.

If they have the practice online like in past years, it's exactly like the test. We only had a local site here one year, and I guess they didn't have enough response (or maybe not enough people signed up for Mathnasium classes) since we haven't had one since. We went to a different city to do it the year after, and it was much more competitive and high-pressure.

She enjoyed it and got some nice medals and little trinkets out of it, but we decided it wasn't worth driving a couple of hours for (and by 5th grade, science had become a lot more important than math).

• Like 1

Thank you Spring Flower. I've never heard of this before. Can you tell me if it's real competitive? Or just for fun?

Are there a lot of questions?

Thanks for any input.

Our center had about 10 kids in each grade and DD won a medal. The atmosphere was fun and lighthearted and the kids seemed to enjoy themselves. The practice tests on the website are exactly like the real exam. 

http://www.mathnasiumtrimathlon.com/practice-tests

• Like 1

Our center had about 10 kids in each grade and DD won a medal. The atmosphere was fun and lighthearted and the kids seemed to enjoy themselves. The practice tests on the website are exactly like the real exam. 

http://www.mathnasiumtrimathlon.com/practice-tests

Our center is metropolitan, so there were a lot of kids (close to 40, I think). They allowed even K and 1st graders to take the test. DS did the practice tests for his grade level and also the next higher grade in the weeks before the test. He said that the real test was easier than the practice tests. He got a medal and a goody bag at the center and they had photo ops with the medalists and a mathematician who gave a small speech. DS liked it a lot. It was completely stress free and fun. It took too long, almost 2.5 hours for them to conduct the exam, correct the papers, give out the medals and do the speech etc and I had to wait outside for most of the time. Our center had large platters of snacks from costco for the kids to eat so they were not hungry while they waited! 

• Like 1

Well, I guess it depends on the location.  The website does make it look fun and stress free.  I like the fact that everyone gets a goody bag. 

I'll have to wait until next year.  I'm not sure if my child can sit for 2 1/2 hours.  Plus, he'll want to meet and talk to everyone.  lol  So, not like me.  But that's for a different thread. 

. I was going to sign him up yesterday, but I'm still waiting on the season schedule...hoping that we can make it work! .

They have the event on Saturday and Sunday in my area. We went on Sunday as our Saturdays are busy with classes. They have many people marking and about 10 kids per level at the place we went so about an hour per grade level for taking the test and getting the results and medals. The younger kids did it in the morning while the 4th and 5th graders did it at around 2pm and 3pm at the center we were at.

Call the mathnasium center you want to sign up at and ask how they are going to run it.  It is really YMMV.  We would have been able to make it on Saturday after 2pm but not at the 9am time they stated on the website.

Both kids found it boring but they won't have known if they would like it until they do it. DS10 age out while DS9 says he is not interested anymore.

Math Kangaroo goes up to higher grades so your child can participate for a few more years. Registation is opening on Sept 15th.

http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/registration.html

I'm not sure if my child can sit for 2 1/2 hours.  Plus, he'll want to meet and talk to everyone.  lol  So, not like me. 

Oh no, I did not mean to say that your child needs to sit in one place silently for so long. They only ask that the kids be quiet and sit in their seats during the actual test which was less than 45 minutes. They are then allowed to walk around, get snacks, play board games, read books etc while the instructors grade the test papers. In our center, there were 4 instructors and it took them an hour to grade and tally up the totals for all the kids. Some parents told the center to email them the results and walked away after the testing. So, please go ahead and sign up if your child can take a 30-45 minute test. Even better would be for you to print out the practice test for his grade level (based on age is the test recommendation) and time him to see how long he takes and if he has the motivation to sit for the length of the test. Sorry for the unclear posts before.

• Like 1

They have the event on Saturday and Sunday in my area. We went on Sunday as our Saturdays are busy with classes. They have many people marking and about 10 kids per level at the place we went so about an hour per grade level for taking the test and getting the results and medals. The younger kids did it in the morning while the 4th and 5th graders did it at around 2pm and 3pm at the center we were at.

Call the mathnasium center you want to sign up at and ask how they are going to run it.  It is really YMMV.  We would have been able to make it on Saturday after 2pm but not at the 9am time they stated on the website.

Both kids found it boring but they won't have known if they would like it until they do it. DS10 age out while DS9 says he is not interested anymore.

Math Kangaroo goes up to higher grades so your child can participate for a few more years. Registation is opening on Sept 15th.

http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/registration.html

I might call ours to see.  Unfortunately, Sundays we are extremely busy with church commitments, so that might be even harder to make.

The only date showing online at my location is 10/17, and the start time is 8:30pm, which seems a little late to me.  Of course, it might be that they don't expect a huge turnout.

Math Kangaroo is definitely on my list to consider for the year.

The only date showing online at my location is 10/17, and the start time is 8:30pm, which seems a little late to me.

It is likely to be 8:30am instead. This is what my local center says

"TriMathlon Date and Start Time: Oct 17, 2015 08:30 am"

"TriMathlon Date and Start Time: Oct 17, 2015 08:00 am"

"TriMathlon Date and Start Time: Oct 18, 2015 09:30 am"

"TriMathlon Date and Start Time: Oct 18, 2015 03:00 pm"

The center we signed up at emailed us the exact time about a week before the event.  I didn't think it would be staggered by grade levels for my local centers so I didn't call to ask.

• Like 1

The only date showing online at my location is 10/17, and the start time is 8:30pm, which seems a little late to me.  Of course, it might be that they don't expect a huge turnout.

It looks like they made a typo while putting out the schedule. We registered for the 9:30 AM event and I cannot imagine elementary age kids taking tests after 8:30 pm and being productive. 

• Like 1

In that case, I really hope we have an evening game (going crazy waiting for the schedule).  If a morning game DD would have to be at the field by 8am for her 9am game.  DS wouldn't be till 11am.  

Gotta love schedule juggling and running like a maniac from place to place, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter did one in Nashville the year before last. It wasn't all that interesting to me, but since she scored highest for her grade at the center(and a staff member told me she was highest for the center overall) she's been on me to sign her up again. I weaseled my way out of it last year, but the last one was in the suburbs sort of out of the way and she recently found out they now have a center in Nashville itself practically around the corner so apparently that's what we're doing the 17th.

I remember it being pretty laid back. The test didn't take very long for some of the kids and they quietly played games while the others finished. The waiting area was tiny and fit maybe 8 people so it was a bit cramped on the parent's side. However, it was still a small event and I don't think more than 10 kids competed in any grade. The math is pretty basic. My daughter is still a bit irritated 2 years later that she got 1 part of 1 answer wrong on the counting game because she is a little (lot) competitive, but hey, I've been trying to convince her to check her answers for like 4 years. I was a little surprised that no one got all the answers correct but I'm pretty sure that some of the kids could easily do all the problems but are allergic to checking the work. 

• Like 1