Menu

Excellent 22min video on Sugar, obesity, health, etc

ktgrok

As far as the amount of sugar in things, I know I checked at one point (when I still drank sugary sodas) and the sugar sodas had the same calories as the hfcs.

What I really wish is that they made a semisweet soda with 1/2 the sugar rather than making soda addicts choose between full sugar and diet.

Try orange juice, raspberries and sparkling mineral water. This is my sparkling drink fix which doesn't contain 11 tsp of sugar like soft drinks.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try orange juice, raspberries and sparkling mineral water. This is my sparkling drink fix which doesn't contain 11 tsp of sugar like soft drinks.

Yep.

Our kids' "soda" was a small amount of cranberry juice in a glass of sparkling water.

ETA: I highly recommend Sodastream. Ours has paid for itself over and over - much cheaper than buying bottled carbonated water, and no plastic waste.

Depends on the recipe. The muffin recipe I often make works well with half the sugar, and I replace the white sugar by brown sugar for more flavor.  But then, I tinker recipes anyway and substitute lots of stuff...

Overall, I prefer my German baking books ;-)

I once brought the neighbor a piece of one of our favorite cakes... sadly she did not like it because it was not sweet enough. A traditional yeast sheet cake would use 3+ cups of flour and less than 1/2 cup of sugar. My American muffin recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar per 2 cups of flour.

Any idea where I could find some genuine German baking books written in English? 

I think people have "destroyed" their taste buds. If they would cut out all the garbage, they'd find that stuff they think isn't sweet enough now would taste fine. I regularly cut the sugar in half with recipes from my coconut flour cookbook and the cupcakes are still plenty sweet. I need to keep reducing it until it reaches the point where everyone says "uh, not so tasty" and then increase it slightly.

I did this to our tea we drink. But I saw something somewhere about cutting back sugar in coffee. It said to cut back to as little sugar as you can stand for a week or two. Then to add back just a bit and see how much sweeter it now tastes. That did work for me for coffee, but I wonder if it could work with other things as well. Of course, this could only apply to homemade stuff.

Of those first studies you listed only one compared and found differences between HFCS and sucrose. The others found differences between straight fructose and sucrose, or just that HFCS was bad, without comparing it to sucrose. The tooth thing finished by saying it was not better than sucrose, and may be worse, which I'm willing to buy. 

But most of the stuff we are talking about, with insulin, and fatty liver disease, triglycerides, etc is driving by Fructose, and table sugar is half Fructose, just like HFCS. Glucose does NOT have the same effect, nor does lactose. That's one of the concerns with putting corn syrup in baby formula instead of lactose. 

But yeah, fructose, when given in high doses and quckly, is scary stuff. In fuit the fiber should help ease the burden on the liver, thankfully. But still, this is all scary stuff. 

This chimes with what I think because we can compare countries: the UK is definitely heading in the same direction as the US as far as obesity and lifestyle illness, yet we don't have subsidised HFCS, nor do we have much corn-based sugar in products.  This article has the figures, and discusses the limitations of one study.  This quotation compares intake:

Biscuit-loving UK readers of the [Daily Mail Newspaper's] alarming headline will be pleased to hear that consumption of fructose syrup in this country is negligible â€“ a measly 0.38kg per person per year. In the US a whopping 24.78kg per person per year is consumed – more than 65 times that consumed in the UK.

I'm not convinced that HFCS is the issue, but sugars may well be.

L

Yes! I can do that for you!

When I was a kid nobody had celiac. Nobody'd even heard of it. People have been eating wheat for generations and nobody's ever had any problem with wheat or milk.* Digestive issues and stomach problems never used to be a problem. We just farted and that was it. We didn't make a big deal of it. Now it's celiac this, lactose intolerant that. People should just eat normally like me.

*SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It is true that this was unknown back in the day. 

What that tells me is that they are meddling with the food sources, as well as with our bodies, through medications/vaccines.  Something has changed, and not for the better. 

It is true that this was unknown back in the day. 

What that tells me is that they are meddling with the food sources, as well as with our bodies, through medications/vaccines.  Something has changed, and not for the better. 

Celiac has been around a long time. But yes, the wheat has changed. It's a different plant now, with a different number of chromosomes, etc. Changed in the 50s, approximately.  Also, it is in a lot more things, so more exposure. 

I've known people with coeliac since I was a kid. I never had trouble with eating bread myself until around 5 years ago. I'm unsure as to whether it is something with my body getting older or a change in the bread and wheat but I know a huge number of people who have issues with bread now that used to be fine.

I think something has changed.

Honestly, even normal weight people should watch this. (there are more normal weight people with metabolic syndrome than obese people!). Excellent information,and honestly, it made me cry a bit. Hearing somene else say that the behavior follows the biochemistry, not the other way around, made me cry. 

These days if i want to eat sweets, i just stick to eating fruit.

I've heard that as long as it has fiber in it digests slowly and doesn't contribute to as much blood sugar spikes.