Menu

Mama Brag

SharonM

I wanted to encourage you who are still in the trenches...  We homeschooled all the way through 12 grade.

My ds didn't want school. he would sit still for 1 story, maybe 2, before his trucks and trains would call him away to play and run and jump and be active.

I didn't start 1st grade with him 'til he was 7, and then it was very lite. He didn't read until he was 9  He didn't like to color, and hated to hold a pencil. He much preferred the keyboard. after 6 years of fighting with him to the point of tears over handwriting, (his tears) I gave up. I told him that when he was writing on the white board at his job and people were watching him he had to tell them that "mama tried to teach me".

But college was better for him. he became very self motivated. Yesterday he finished his BS in Computer Science and Software Engineering. Made his capstone presentation. It was accepted.

Then he showed me his acceptance into the UW Masters program for Computer Science Cyber Security!. And he was asked by his capstone advisor to work with him as an assistant on research for which he had received a grant that will cover all ds tuition and a stipend!!!!

My son is the first grandchild to graduate from college... and the first to go on for further education.

I know that we don't get to pick our child's dream. But they can get through college, even if they are slow starters!

My relief is that I didn't mess things up too badly.. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: