Menu

Life of Fred Chemistry

I have to say I am a little disappointed.

On the whole, I find the book a fun one for middle school level chemistry, or a fun supplement for high school chemistry, not quite on par with the neat Physics book he produced earlier.  The adventuresome will find plenty of embedded labs and plenty of chemistry instruction therein.

What disappoints me is that Schmidt's snarky tone has reached really new heights, and he makes some really incredible claims about what "you will not find in any other chemistry book."  Well . . . he must have had really bad chem books, because all of the concepts he mentioned were in my chem books in high school.  I think he needs to start working with a real editor, someone to can stand up to him and make him eliminate the disparaging remarks he makes about every book except his own.  I love the asides about history, English, Latin, and everything else, but these disparaging asides about how brilliant he is and how awful everyone else is might be an attempt at humor, or something else, but I find them very distracting, because my brain pops right out of the book and thinks, "huh??"  

Throughout the book, there is a chemistry professor who is a complete dunce who doesn't know how to teach, and Fred saves the day, having never taught chemistry before a day in his life, because he knows all about how students really learn.  This is pointed out explicitly time after time just in case the reader misses the point.  It is pretty clear Stan Schmidt has a long standing grudge against some past chemistry professor in his student career, and it is sad he took it out on the kids reading this book, which otherwise held some serious promise.  

Now I have to figure out if I can sanitize it enough to teach it in my co-op... I am running out of time to put together yet something else new from scratch.

(waiting for WTM'ers who know me to pass out cold on the floor that I just slammed a Fred book).

I ordered it for DD, to go along with Uzinggo and Chemistry in the Community. I thought she'd enjoy the math side, which Chem-Com is light on, and I fully expect her to do at least one more year of high school chemistry before moving onto college.

I have two theories about this.

1.  I think he's eccentric, probably has a really strange sense of humor IRL and it doesn't translate well in his writing.

2.  As he's getting older, his writing and ideas are becoming stranger.

Maybe it's both.  LOL!

I own a bunch of his books and I really think his older, more original stuff is the best.  His high school series seems to be so much better than his newer books.  Maybe he had a better editor back then...  

OMG.  Um, no I hadn't . . . what a bizarre mixture of really wise comments and complete off-the-wallness????   While I agree with - some - of the things he says, I mostly feel kind of creepy and gross after watching an episode, to tell the truth. Some weird costume changes. I could have lived without seeing him shirtless in bed.  (episode 17, in case you want an image you will *never* get out of your mind).

We glanced through the book too and I guess felt the same as Butter, it was pretty funny to us.  My son liked the parts where Fred talked about why his students would do better than the other teacher's students, because he loves the way Fred is so smart at his young age...sort of an empowering thing I guess.  Nothing in the book bothered us at all, we really like what we've read so far. 

OMG.  I am cracking up at the videos.  I actually think the are pretty funny, and they explain an awful lot about Fred . . . 

I think every college student should have to watch his diatribe about "How much have you learned" at the beginning of episode 17 during freshman orientation!!

But yeah . . . maybe he should have rethought that costuming bit in the in bed sequence   :lol:

I have the Chemistry book sitting right beside my computer waiting for me to read it, but I haven't yet. Now I'm really wondering. Ds is planning on using it just as a supplement. He just enjoys the humor. He has already done Apologia Chemistry and will be doing Thinkwell this year as an advanced Chemistry class. Since Fred was just a fun aside, I'm not to concerned, but I am curious.

Let us know what you think.  From some other comments on here, I am thinking I need to look again and maybe lighten up a bit.  My husband has told me to not worry about it, reminding me I will be teaching the class, saying, "Remember, the textbook is only a small part of the class . . . it's how you teach it that will really count . . . "

Ummm.... mimble wimble???  Have I mentioned I am nervous??  And somehow that didn't help?

I'm not teaching a class to be a be-all and end-all for the kids; just a fun  and hopefully helpful supplement every other week that may make some concepts seem doable and not dubious, and provide a supervised lab environment where the kids can work together to figure stuff out and maybe learn a bit there too.  But it's still a responsibility and I haven't done it before . . . I'd no longer be just screwing up my own kids!

Okay, back to Fred.  Easier to talk about Fred being weird and fun :)