Menu

Petechiae (tiny spots indicating broken capillaries)

Tiramisu

Anyone deal with these coming and going on the feet and legs, possibly with activity, when all tests are normal, including CBC, platelets, clotting studies, autoimmune testing? I'm puzzled and don't know if I should look into this more.

TIA!

Do you have any other symptoms? If not, and your doc's not worried... then take that into consideration, of course.

I had problems with petechiae that would come and go as a result of an infection. There are a ton of causes, though, so I wouldn't jump into thinking you had what I had based on that one symptom! With that in mind, I had 2 strains of a parasitic infection related to malaria: babesia microti and babescia duncani (formerly called babesia WA-1, if you want to get tested, the test codes sometimes still read WA-1). Both of mine came from tick bites, but I think babesiosis can be transmitted by other vectors as well, and certainly can be transmitted via blood infusion (several fairly recent cases of that in the news). Again, though, I would not jump to thinking you have Babesiosis based on that one symptom, but if you had a constellation of other symptoms common to Babs, then it might be worth exploring.

Oh! I mentioned this to DH (in a remember-when-I-was-covered-in-spots sort of way) and he reminded me that it's also a symptom of Bartonella. Another vector borne illness. Lots of symptoms to that one, too, many more than just petechiae.

On a lighter note, we used to joke that I looked like an American flag - covered in stripes (from Bartonella, they are often mistaken for stretch marks) and petechiae spots. Gotta laugh.

I'm sure there are many reasons for petechiae, some more worrisome than others. Hope you find the cause!

Do you have any other symptoms? If not, and your doc's not worried... then take that into consideration, of course.

I had problems with petechiae that would come and go as a result of an infection. There are a ton of causes, though, so I wouldn't jump into thinking you had what I had based on that one symptom! With that in mind, I had 2 strains of a parasitic infection related to malaria: babesia microti and babescia duncani (formerly called babesia WA-1, if you want to get tested, the test codes sometimes still read WA-1). Both of mine came from tick bites, but I think babesiosis can be transmitted by other vectors as well, and certainly can be transmitted via blood infusion (several fairly recent cases of that in the news). Again, though, I would not jump to thinking you have Babesiosis based on that one symptom, but if you had a constellation of other symptoms common to Babs, then it might be worth exploring.

Dd is dealing with this. She doing badly this time last year with fatigue, nausea, weight loss, etc. She's been doing a ton better lately. Still some nausea, fatigue, and aches, but nothing like before.

I decided to call our rheumy at the children's hospital today and she wants her in first thing tomorrow morning. I called the rheumy because she's really good and there's been some question in the past about autoimmune problems based on family history. I might ask about the infection possibility. We also have a nice ID doctor.

I figured it was just a circulation thing for me. I haven't worried too much about it.

I'm wondering about this, too. She's mentioned before that she thinks blood pools in her legs, and this came up when she didn't have spots.

It can also be a symptom of parvovirus, along with aching joints (hands, feet, and ankles especially) and possible swelling of hands/feet.

No swelling or aching joints that I've noticed or she's mentioned. Sore forearms, though. Would parovirus come back so she'd have these episodes every now and then?

Oh! I mentioned this to DH (in a remember-when-I-was-covered-in-spots sort of way) and he reminded me that it's also a symptom of Bartonella. Another vector borne illness. Lots of symptoms to that one, too, many more than just petechiae.

On a lighter note, we used to joke that I looked like an American flag - covered in stripes (from Bartonella, they are often mistaken for stretch marks) and petechiae spots. Gotta laugh.

I'm sure there are many reasons for petechiae, some more worrisome than others. Hope you find the cause!

I'm wondering if it could be some out of the ordinary clotting thing that wasn't tested or if for some reason her blood vessels are more permeable than the average person due to infection, inflammation, or connective tissue issues.

Since I was a teen, I've been getting these randomly. Blood tests were all normal for clotting issues. Strokes are very common in my family, though. But mine are mostly on my face or hands.

That's interesting. Do you have any autoimmune stuff going on or a connective tissue disorder?

Anyone deal with these coming and going on the feet and legs, possibly with activity, when all tests are normal, including CBC, platelets, clotting studies, autoimmune testing? I'm puzzled and don't know if I should look into this more.

TIA!

I get them on my chest, usually more with exercise. I'm otherwise totally healthy.

Autoimmune issues run in my family. As a child, in particular, I had hyper mobility issues. I still have joint pain from accidently hurting myself stretching too far!

I guess you have both areas of concern covered. I'll let you know what the rheumy says. :)

I guess you've looked into Ehlers-Danlos. I'm not quite sure when something is benign hypermobility and when something is EDS. From the little reading I've done I've got the feeling that EDS can look like autoimmune or autoimmune things can go along with it.

I'm wondering if it could be some out of the ordinary clotting thing that wasn't tested or if for some reason her blood vessels are more permeable than the average person due to infection, inflammation, or connective tissue issues.

I have edema (swelling) of my legs often, chronic inflammation issues and autoimmune problems. Petechiae might be just part and parcel of all of that but my doctor hasn't been worried about the petechiae itself.