Menu

U.S. Cellular people affected by the Sprint buyout of certain accounts

dirty ethel rackham

Is anyone here affected by Sprint's purchase of some US Cellular assets, meaning accounts? I just got a letter from them explaining the transition period. One thing that got me was that my US Cellular Device will not work on Sprint's network. HUH? I take it that means I would need to purchase 3 new phones in order to get service from them, to which I say NO WAY, JOSE! Ds is very happy with his Galaxy s2 and I love my new s3. The only silver lining is that I don't have a termination fee if I change carriers. So, is there anyone out there who serves the Chicago area (and SW Michigan) who can accept these Galaxy phones on their network? Is this possible? I am so irritated by this situation. I am sure that people will be leaving in droves so I can't see any benefit to Sprint to do this. Anyway ... any ideas?

The more I think about this, the angrier I get. They knew the transfer was going to happen and they still sold me a phone that won't work on the new carrier. I would have waited and bought a tablet instead. And I sure wish I had gone with prepaid for my son at school - bought him a phone in Michigan since many of the prepaid companies here don't have good coverage at his school. Fuming ......

That isn't what they say in their letter. They say it is a network compatibility issue. Funny ... they sell the exact same phones, though.

They don't necessarily have the same radios though. Verizon phones (CDMA/LTE) won't work on AT&T (GSM/LTE, though the LTE is incompatible with Verizon's), though they will work on US Cellular. US Cellular phones might work on Verizon, but I don't think Verizon will allows non-Verizon phones on their network (greedy buggers, them).

Maybe they will if they realize that they may end up with tons of customers who want nothing to do with Sprint. If they did allow it for US Cell customers, they would be sitting on a gold mine of new customers. They could be going after half a million new customers who would be happy for another option.

I'm surprised they're not offering you at least a comparable phone. Not a good move on Sprint's part.

Sprint and US Cellular do not have SIM cards so it doesn't have anything to do with SIM cards. IT has to do with the programming of the phone. You can use your US Cellular phones on Sprint but you would have to jail break them. I don't know how to do it. I believe it is fairly easy but I haven't ever had a need to learn.

If they sold your account you would also be subject to Sprint coverage as opposed to US Cellular. In the area I live in Sprint is seriously lacking.

If you are looking at leaving Sprint altogether once the transition is complete and you don't mind losing your 4G service look into prepaid. I know Walmart carries Straight Talk. You have to buy a phone (and they don't have the S3 only the S2 although I can't remember what network it runs off of. Either Sprint or AT&T). Straight Talk is $45 a month (per phone) for unlimited everything (talk, text and data.)

All the other major carriers have prepaid as well but Straight Talk was the absolute best deal. When I worked at Walmart (and I worked in the Electronics section) Straight Talk was the #1 top seller. However they sell Verizon, Sprint, Virgin Mobile (which has really good plans too if you want 4G) and a few others.

There are also some available online that aren't sold in major stores. Like Talk For Good (which I currently use.) So you can look around as well.

Bottom line is A you jailbreak your phone or B transition to Sprint or C get another carrier. If you don't jailbreak your phones you can either use them as a "mini-tablet" or sell them.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions, I am a fountain of knowledge on most cell service. :)

There is no automatic transition. We have to sign up with them and purchase a new phone. Or we go somewhere else. Either way, the two newer smart phones on my plan are useless. It looks like my best bet is ebay for these phones to be used in an area where US Cellular still operates and find something cheaper. I really love my phone so it is going to stink to have to downgrade. I use it for almost everything. Same for my son. He uses his for music, email, texting, calendar, camera ... you name it.

US Cellular and Sprint don't use the same LTE bands, so it's not just a matter of unlocking the bootloader and flashing a Sprint kernel.

I feel your pain...we also use US Cellular and were 'sold' to sprint...also just bought a new, now worthless, phone!

So will the White Sox still be playing at 'the cell' (us cellular field)?

I so do not want to research cell service again!

Dh says they'll start calling it the Sprint. More like Sprint out a here! I am sickened that they are still selling phones at the stores here.

I am just sick to my stomach as I research phones. It is all sooo expensive. We really had a good deal. Our bill for 3 phones (2 smart and one basic) was less with all the taxes and fees than a plan with just 2 smart phones with none of those added not-so-goodies.

Dh says they'll start calling it the Sprint. More like Sprint out a here! Ha! I am sickened that they are still selling phones at the stores here. I know! We just bought a phone a few weeks ago and it seems like they must have had an inkling back then. Selling phones now is just mean! :mad:

I am just sick to my stomach as I research phones. It is all sooo expensive. We really had a good deal. Our bill for 3 phones (2 smart and one basic) was less with all the taxes and fees than a plan with just 2 smart phones with none of those added not-so-goodies.

I'm not looking forward to finding a new company. We're homeschool moms...we did the research! :D If we had wanted something else we would've picked it in the first place. Grrr...

We're going to wait until there's a firm date for end of service. I also want to see what Sprint will offer but I'm not expecting anything beyond what they offer to the general public.

Here's hoping we find something else!

Well, I stayed up a little too late last night doing some research and happened upon a US Cellular customer message board. There may be light at the end of the tunnel for people who bought smartphones recently. You can sell your phone online to another US Cellular customer in another market (one not affected by this) either on one of these sites or on ebay. Then go to another carrier. My newer phone is worth more than I paid for it on these sites, but that won't last long because a newer version just came out. Now I hope the merger goes through sooner rather than later. My phone is only $40 at Costco but I need to research those carriers a little better. Anyone know about AT&T? How is their customer service?

ETA: I think even basic phones will have some worth for people needing a new phone but either not qualifying for one or not wanting to extend their contracts. I think there may be a way to at least break even since there won't be a cancellation fee to switch once the sale is complete.

One thing that gets me is "What does Sprint get out of this deal?" No one is obligated to continue with them. They have a bunch of unhappy customers. They are have some of the more expensive plans. This leaves me scratching my head.

I didn't read all the replies, but I did work for US Cellular when I was in college. US Cellular uses CDMA like Verizon, but they use a different system to identify the phones to the network (one is serial number based, the other SIM card based), so you won't be able to use your phones with them. If I were you I'd sell the phones online and just start over.

I've had the best customer service with T-Mobile, but because extended family live in rural areas where Verizon is the only reliable coverage, they all have Verizon so we all use Verizon.

Guest Crim203

OFF the Record you could use your same phone if you was to sign up with sprint you just will loose LTE but will at least have 3G its called flashing a donor IMEI number from any sprint phone could be a free one to your US Cellular phone like I said Off the record..its been done with CDMA phones plenty of times as GSM (sim based) phones are easier but CDMA is not impossiable just search up xda dev and the rest of the info will be there. to bad sprint is doing this to the custo mers but they need the towers

Well, I have pretty much decided NOT to go with Sprint. Their plans are very expensive - it will cost more for 2 smart phones than what we are currently paying for 3 phones - 2 smart and one basic. Plus, their download speeds are notoriously slow around here and nobody in my neighborhood gets good Sprint phone reception here. Can't very well have every conversation on my front porch!. AT&T looks good (great deals on phones through Costco) but I need to check coverage around here. Verizon is also good in my neighborhood, but I need to check plans. My biggest glitch is the fact that my son (a smartphone user on my plan) will only be home from college for 2 weeks before his summer research job starts. It is going to be difficult to get him taken care of from home.

Guest Crim203

Well, I have pretty much decided NOT to go with Sprint. Their plans are very expensive - it will cost more for 2 smart phones than what we are currently paying for 3 phones - 2 smart and one basic. Plus, their download speeds are notoriously slow around here and nobody in my neighborhood gets good Sprint phone reception here. Can't very well have every conversation on my front porch!. AT&T looks good (great deals on phones through Costco) but I need to check coverage around here. Verizon is also good in my neighborhood, but I need to check plans. My biggest glitch is the fact that my son (a smartphone user on my plan) will only be home from college for 2 weeks before his summer research job starts. It is going to be difficult to get him taken care of from home.

well I agree sprint data is alsmot like dialup unless your on wifi and why pay for something your not getting....I'm not from the area you from but t -mobile is the best priced post paid in my market (NYC) Verizon with the best coverage at&t second but higher cost so for cheaper service postpaid would be family mobile (t mobile service) prepaid simple mobile (t mobile) straight talk at&t or t mobile services ...and if your phones are world phones that meaning CDMA/GSM in phone then your good with any of them choices