Menu

Chicken people: I need starter information.

Ginevra

I want to get some laying chickens and am in the info-gathering stage. I'm a bit lost on the different cooping options that would work optimally for us. We are on ten wooded acres. Predators are a major threat. We have a smallish fenced backyard where our garden is and our dog patrols, so siting the coop near the backyard (but outside the dog's area) seems optimal to provide some predator protection. But does my wooded location mean I cannot possibly hope to let the chickens range during the day? Is my only practical option a fixed coop and a enclosed run? I thought too that I could allow the chickens to range around my vegetable garden now and then, but I don't have any idea if that is a sensible hope or completely absurd.

The predators that factor in the most are hawks, foxes, raccoons, ground hogs and snakes. I also have two pet cats and a dog, but I don't know how persistently the cats will hunt the chickens.

Any advice appreciated. :)

If you let them out something is going to get them. Sometimes if you keep them in something will get them. I actually found a Great Horned Owl sitting in my coop with my hens. Skunks, coons, possums, snakes, you name it.

My cats never bothered my chickens. My dog was another story altogether. She could go months without looking at them and then kill one right in front of me.

Anyhow, that's why I don't have chickens anymore. Over the years I've had hundreds, finally got tired of the constant predator problem. But I did love those chickens. Had my coffee with them every nice morning. You can go into it trying to keep them all up, or you can know if you let them range they'll get killed and you'll have to replace them.

ETA- silkies are darling.

Wah!

I forgot owls. I have a photo of a Great Horned Owl in a tree in my front yard. Saw him out the window while I was eating breakfast. :svengo:

There is always the chance of something getting them whether you have them fenced in or free ranging though less of a problem if fenced in. A friend of mine has chickens who free range on wooded land during the day. She has lost a few this way but also lost one from a raccoon pulling it in pieces through the chicken wire of a fenced coop.

Our land is open with about 1.5 acres and we allowed our chickens to range in the fenced in area of the backyard (just a 4ft. high fence so we kept their wings clipped). We have a neighborhood bald eagle, a fox, and owls around but they have not yet been a problem. The chickens poop way too much and tore up my raised beds for dust baths so we fenced them a smaller area. We had one chicken get out of the fence and the neighbor's dog pulled out a lot of her feathers so she had to be separated for a week or so to heal but other than that we, knock wood, have not lost any.

Get Delawares. I can't say enough what KIND chickens, and what good layers--even though winter--they were. They came into our house, were happy sitting on my lap, they were the most delightful birds.

We free ranged during the day, and then they would be in the coop by dusk and I'd run out and lock it up. Never found a tick on the kids again.

Try this article on this website: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pickin-the-right-frickin-chicken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds I've been looking over the chart; apparently there are some chickens that have more predator awareness than others. There's info about coops on that website too. Having a good rooster helps some. I remember hearing one of our roosters make a strange sound one day, then saw all the hens go running in a clump in one direction while the rooster was facing the opposite direction towards the dog that was coming into the yard. Our Nankin bantam rooster was the best. Having said that, we still have lost tsome to dogs and possibly a coyote and who knows what else. They free range, some wooded and some open area. But I am thinking of having a very large fenced area connected to the coop. Ours have pretty much fed themselves at least half of the time or more during the summer on whatever they're finding while they're roaming around. Eggs are nice too when the hens are eating a lot of green stuff (lovely deep yellow yolks). But if you let your chickens in your garden, they will peck at the same stuff you like to eat or scratch around where you just planted your seeds.

We have a similar set-up to yours (wooded acreage and the same predators). When we first got chickens, we did let them go free range during the day. They totally tore up my flower garden, but otherwise it was fun having them roam around. Predators weren't a problem for us in the day-time - just at night. Two years ago, we got a dog who has a strong predator drive and loves to chase the chickens (unfortunately, he killed two who escaped from the coop when we had the door open), so free range is no longer an option for us. But our coop has a large fully enclosed run so they have plenty of room to roam.

I'll never forget the great chicken massacre of Halloween 2002. Our best guess is that one or more foxes broke into our chicken coop in the middle of the night and killed 12 of our 13 chickens. It was a bloody, feathery mess. We named the lone survivor "Lucky". Lucky went on to live a few more years. We reinforced the coop and never had a problem like that again.

Chickens are fun, relatively easy to care for, and the fresh eggs are wonderful. Have fun planning! :)

We have a similar problem. While I would love to let them roam freely as we have in the past, this new place just isn't okay to do so. We have 2 very large Great Horned Owls in our trees as well as hawks and an eagle. We are planning on making this coop http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/permanent-hoop-coop-guide While it is not as pretty as I like, it is totally functional. We are in a rental so something that is easy to take down is essential to us. If you check out this link you will have more ideas that you know what to do with. http://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

As for breed, I highly recommend White Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. They are sweet and gental, great layers and large enough to use for meat birds if you so desire. The lay eggs through the winter and handled predator issues without getting freaked out. Right now we have Red sex links and I wouldn't recommend them for continued laying. They can't handle the cold like the other breeds have (some swear by them so who knows). I would also recommend getting a rooster. Our man struts his stuff like a million bucks day in and day out. Only the dog was stupid enough to go by him. The rooster was on his head pecking and jumping in 5 seconds flat. :D It was entertaining in a sick way lol.

I've had mine roaming during the days when I was home and did not have a predator problem but I also had a large mastiff on the property who guarded the hens and at times we had roosters as well.

I recommend "Storey's Guide to Chicken Raising" by Gail Damerow.

It is chuck full of information. Trust me. Nothing can go wrong with that book in your arsenal.

Oh...and Rhode Island Reds and Aracaunas are good layers. The Aracaunas' eggs are an interesting greenish blue. Will never forget when we first found an egg of that color. We had no clue that their eggs would be a different color.

ENJOY.

We keep our chickens either in an enclosed coop or a screened-in dog run (screen on all sides and overhead) and live in a similar wooded area. I would not let my "ladies" free range -- they probably woudn't last a day out there. My plan is to build a larger coop inside the dog run so they can have a coop and yard.

We have 8 different kinds of chickens. We love our Buffs best of all. They are so friendly, gentle, and prolific egg layers. Americaunas are neat to have because they lay bluish/greenish eggs but they aren't as friendly. We have a little Phoenix chicken who is really cute and always goes broody so sits on everyone else's eggs.

Thank you, thank you everyone for the info! Off to do more searching. I would love to reply to several posts, but I can't fit it in right now.